How are you setting up your writing folder?

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by msb0803, Aug 9, 2007.

1. msb0803

msb0803 Rookie

Aug 9, 2007

How are you setting up your writing folders. I was thinking of doing one similar to the following:

http://www.teacherweb.com/sc/bells/madden/hf5.stm.

Im not really sure what I want to do. Any suggestions on what you have done or what you plan to do??

Thanks!

3. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Aug 9, 2007

I use a spiral and a notebook. The notebook is used as a portfolio to show growth throughout the year. I put all of their completed writing pieces in there. They have a journal for free writing and a spiral to use to plan, revise, and edit their rough draft. That is where they put their tools to help them write. Such as... ideas, transistion words, introductions, conclusions and so on. I will do a mini lesson on a topic and they will write some of my examples as well as things they came up with on their own.

I like the ideas that the website had, but it seemed like a lot of extra steps that I wouldn't be able to keep up with. I am sure it would work for someone that is good at that kind of thing! :)

4. MissBee

MissBee Companion

Aug 9, 2007

I thought that writer's notebook was amazing. It seems like a great way to manage process-writing assignments in the classroom. There's no "But I don't know where I put my revision...etc" excuses.

My only question is this: It seems that there is a lot of supplies involved in creating these binders; do you provide the supplies or ask the parents to provide them for their children? And what about the kids that do not bring in the proper material or cannot afford to do so?

5. MissBee

MissBee Companion

Aug 9, 2007

Oh and one more thing....I use Journals in my classroom for free-writing. I give them a topic and they just write for a specific amount of time. I think this writer's notebook would be for more specific and long-term assignments, probably portfolio entries.

6. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 10, 2007

I may stick a few bits of information inside my students' binders this year. I have the binders... just not the information yet. I also have transparent scotch tape. :)

I am thinking of something with information posted for my students' math folders, also... which sort of relates to this topic...

7. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 10, 2007

She's way more organized than I am. I give them a blank composition notebook, and off they go...

When we focus on a specifc kind of writing, I give them a 3-pronged folder for that specific assignment (longer term.) All the papers and resources for that project go into that folder. Final drafts go in the portfolio.

I am thinking of using mini-offices this year to store information like lists of words, editing marks, HF words, etc. I want the kids to make them and add onto them though.

8. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Aug 10, 2007

I have a three pronged folder too. I forgot to mention that. I must have summer brain! I use that for them to keep track of any checklists, peer conference sheets, or their final draft while they are working on it. SOmetimes I give them word lists or other handouts to help them. Those go in the folder also. I guess I could have a binder for them to keep all their stuff together, but we have a hard time getting a portfolio binder from our kids. We are lucky to get one!

9. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Aug 10, 2007

I found these folders on Really Good Stuff and decided to make my own. All I did was take two folders (without fasters) and staple them together. I then labeled each section "Prewriting, Draft, Revise and Edit" I have a file box with hanging folders for each student where they will put their final drafts/copies. I'm also planning on putting reference sheets in each section for each step of the writing process.

I really like the binder option as well. The folders I'm using may be another option for those who don't have all the supplies. I know folders are 5 cents at Staples and might still be 1 cent at Walmart.

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 10, 2007

I use the combination of a composition book and binder, yet I make information sheets to go in, too. :) I may make that this next week to be laminated a la Office Max. :woot:

11. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Aug 14, 2007

Good idea! I might do something like this also.