How are you organizing Common Core?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by DrivingPigeon, Aug 19, 2012.

1. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 19, 2012

I am going crazy today! :dizzy:

A few weeks ago I spent about 3 days going through my math materials and organizing them in a Common Core-friendly manner. I organized everything in binders by strand, and then by standard within the binder. Math wasn't too difficult.

ELA on the other hand...:eek: It is unbelievable how many ELA standards exist: Reading for both Literary and Informational texts, Speaking & Listening, Language, Foundational Skills, and Writing. I counted over 60 standards for 2nd grade. I think I have them organized pretty well into binders, but I'm still worried about being able to find what I want when I need it.

How have you organized your materials to adapt to Common Core?

3. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2012

We haven't switched over to CCSS fully yet. I'm actually excited because they have fewer benchmarks in ELA than the FL standards do.

Right now my binders are by topics within ELA - informational text, short stories, writing, figurative language, etc... but after I got a membership the the CC Curriculum Maps, I might switch to by unit. That way, everything I need for each of the six units is within that binder.

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 19, 2012

That would make sense, too...Unfortunately, my district is requiring us to implement this year, but they are not giving us many tools. A team is working on common assessments, but no mapping has been done, and they have not purchased anything to help us. I did subscribe to the map website myself, but I haven't really looked at it yet...Maybe I'll have a separate binder for the units...

5. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Aug 19, 2012

I'll be following this thread with interest! The ELA standards are absolutely overwhelming!

6. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2012

We use Common Core to plan, but still receive pacing calendars with our EDM lessons in math and general topics/goals in reading and writing. We used Common Core last year which was my first year and we're just making some tweaks here and there this year (mostly in math) so my stuff is pretty much organized in the order in which we teach it rather than by strand since the same strand usually comes up in more than one unit in reading and writing.

7. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Aug 19, 2012

I teach HS ELA and I agree, the standards are overwhelming. Here are some things I've done personally and the district has done:

1. Within the district: we have a curriculum we write together that is in an online space with units and tasks (like a project or test) for each course. We also had to align them to our state standards, so they were already there. We looked together through the CCCS standards on a curriculum day and just assigned the standards where they already fit in our curriculum. When we were done we looked to see if we were missing any and made minor changes to adhere to new standards (mostly the ones about research w/ primary sources).

2. Personally: I purchased this book: http://www.amazon.com/Pathways-Comm...2&sr=8-1&keywords=pathways+to+the+common+core

which is solely for ELA and she writes for a k-12 audience, although most examples are elementary. I'm not finished with it yet but she has some good explanations and suggestions of how to get aligned within your district and in your class (like looking at what is ALREADY aligned, etc).

If you haven't checked out the site common core maps, I would check that out. Also, try doing a google search for teachers who have come up with organizational systems and post on their blogs, etc. Hope that helps. We're all in the same struggle boat!

8. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Aug 19, 2012

On a slightly different note, has anyone actually seen the test they will be using? I've heard a lot about it but have not seen a single example of how they will be tested and what the process is like (I've heard it takes place over a month??) and I'm quite nervous about that part.

9. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2012

I never heard it will be that long. But I've also heard we're not going to be getting any previews of tests or any copies of tests after they're over anymore.

10. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 19, 2012

That would be fabulous--a step away from test prep!

11. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 19, 2012

I think the test is still under development. I know that it will be computer-based, and that all students won't need to take it at the same exact time.

12. StudentTeach

StudentTeach Comrade

Aug 19, 2012

13. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2012

Have you looked at your state DOE website? Ours has several different transition/alignment documents that have been very helpful.

14. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2012

Oh my school just makes up their own test prep materials based on what they "think" the tests will look like.

15. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Aug 19, 2012

Thanks for the replies and suggestions so far, everyone! StudentTeach: I am in the middle of the Pathways book, as well. So far, it is really helping me piece everything together and understand the "bigger picture."

Its funny, because my district has always been seen as being "one step ahead" of everyone else. However, they do not have any resources or curriculum maps for us so far...We just have our old curriculum materials, old benchmarks, and some old common assessments (most of which do not apply). So frustrating!

16. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 19, 2012

Aaarrgghh. We are implementing the Common Core standards this year by state mandate (K & 1). I've been doing pretty well with it so far - developing lessons, etc. I just went to our online grading site to input grades for our first week (basic K review stuff like handwriting). When I went to the Reading page, I began to set up my first assignment, only to discover that the CC standards are not there - only our "old" (now unusable) GLEs. The system won't let us put any assignments in without standards, but the wrong standards are there. UGH.

17. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2012

We had to write our own units using the CCSS and Understanding by Design. Each unit consists of the unit plan, scoring tool, and performance assessment. It's been a very confusing and frustrating process because each workshop they send us to has presenters who have their own view on how to do this and, unfortunately, all of them are giving us different directions. We are all learning, at this point. We plan to add more to each unit as we go along. It's hard to create curriculum when you are having to teach yourself how to do it all. We just try to do our best and hope we are going in the right direction.

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2012

Gotta love the "cross your fingers and hope you're right" approach to education!!

19. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Aug 19, 2012

I am wondering when we (California) will have to switch over to Common Core. I went the the California website and it is all listed, but I haven't found any information about mandated implementation. I asked my P about it and she said "when California changes it's standards so will we." I interpreted that as "Huh? whats that?" She really had no clue about what Common Core was. Now that worries me. I have been working in Preschool for 6 years and I knew what it was. She has been teaching HS for 3 years so you think she would too. :dizzy:

20. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Aug 19, 2012

Yikes!

According to this, they have been adopted by CA. Gives a timeline too. She ought to get thinking about them!

21. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 20, 2012

Ha....the cute thing is, our state test has not caught up to Common Core. So for math, we are to follow state standards until March when kids assess, and then teach off CC after March. :tired:

Literacy is even more insane.

I have been trying to organize materials by unit, but I'm also moving to special ed where I'm not sure the levels of the kids, so it's making it hard to plan.