How are You Feeling Now?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by CFClassroom, Jul 9, 2012.

1. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2012

I noticed that there were so many more negative / stressed / burnt out posts in May and June of this year than I had ever seen before on the boards. I know teachers around me in real life were feeling it too.

I'm just wondering how everyone is feeling now that they have some summer vacation under their belt and have been a bit removed from the scene.

Are you excited to go back or are those same feelings there?

3. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2012

I'm scared to start a new chapter in my professional life...but it's happening, so I'm doing my best to prepare myself! :woot:

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 9, 2012

I was super stressed by the end of the school year. I'm starting at a new school this fall and am excited and nervous to get started!

5. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2012

I'm excited to start a new year. I hope the feeling lasts longer this year!

6. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jul 9, 2012

I feel a thousand times better. I've done nothing but eat, swim, and sleep for almost a month. I'll be starting in a new grade and new school in the fall. Super exciting! :thumb:

7. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Jul 9, 2012

This was a really rough year for me, so the summer has been a huge blessing. It is also the first summer in my 5 years of teaching that I feel I can actually relax! My first two summers were full of professional development, then the last two I had my hands full with my new baby. This year I finally figured out that I need to send her to daycare a couple of days a week so I can actually relax and get stuff done (she loves it there anyways, so it's a win-win!). I feel so much better; like I can actually start to think about the school year starting without stressing out.....I'm actually quite looking forward to it, and I still have over a month of summer left! :)

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2012

This is only my 2nd week of summer vacation, so I am definitely not ready to go back yet. However, I am changing schools so I am super excited about that and will be ready when the time comes. Also, we are moving into a new house (new to us, anyway) this Saturday, and that's another exciting change, so I want to get settled in there and get things set-up, which also makes it tough to even truly focus on school yet. I actually start back on 8/1, so I really don't get that much time off this summer. Over all, though, I feel really good. I wasn't burned out, but near the end of the year I was anticipating all of the changes and wanting to just get on with those, which wouldn't happen until after the school year ended.

9. Avalon

Avalon Rookie

Jul 9, 2012

At the end of the year, I was reassigned (in my district) to a new grade level in a new (to me) school. I was excited but stressed about this.

Now, my middle school has called me back, I'm happy to say. I won't know my assignment until school starts, but assume it will be English, maybe part social studies, and probably a new grade. I've taught 6th & 8th, so I'll probably get 7th :)

10. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jul 9, 2012

I am a little nervous for the upcoming year as there a quite a few changes that effet me and my current grade level. But I'm excited to have an idea of what to expect and not be the newbie anymore!

11. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 9, 2012

Still stressing some - more about new year, less about last. New admin this year - very different from previous, which is the only one I've ever had. Redoing my curriculum based on professional book blog this summer. Kinda excited about that. On full review this year under new review system - I know I'm a good teacher, work on improving all the time. But... fear of the unknown. Getting excited because going on vacation in a couple of days and refuse to take anything school related with me. It has been a tough summer - family stress, weather stress. Hmmm... Gonna ban the word stress.

I will be ready for the beginning of the new year in mid August. I will be psyched for the new group of kids and the new format in my classes.

12. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2012

I know I'm going to be a lot more refreshed starting a new school year, but for me I think some of the stress/anxiety will carry over. Most of my end-of-year stress had to do with the fact that I was upset I was switching to a new grade and having issues with my co-teacher. I'm ready to put everything I have into teaching 3rd grade but it's going to be a lot more work than if I had taught 4th grade again. I was really looking forward to getting to re-use some things and tweak things that I wanted to improve on. But we'll see how it goes...

13. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 9, 2012

iteachbx - good luck this year. Who knows, the change may be energizing! Maybe you can use much of the same things but tweak them down for the 3rd grade level? I don't know much about elementary school, but when I faced going from 8th to 6th (which didn't end up happening), after the freak out, I realized that much of what we would be doing is the same - just a little slower and less detailed than in 8th.

Enjoy the rest of your summer.

14. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2012

I think I will be able to re-use a lot in reading/writing. Math, maybe some. I had a wide range of abilities last year, not totally sure what I'm getting this year. There's a possibility I'll be going back to 4th the following year so at least it's worth it to save everything. Thanks!

15. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 9, 2012

I don't handle down time well at all, so I'm currently halfway through teaching summer school. I'll value a couple of weeks to myself, but I'll probably already start meeting with local members of my teaching team during that time to do some informal planning. Considering I've already decided to teach until I'm 70 at the youngest, let me keep going!

16. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 9, 2012

I had a number of health issues last year, along with the 2nd most challenging class I have had (it's what happens when you start to think you are good, lol). In addition, I had 6 kiddos (out of 18!) going through the SPED id/testing process, and it was the first year that our school had done universal screening & Aimsweb monitoring, so that threw me off a bit as well (mainly because I found out about it in the TENTH week of school!).

Well,
    I've spent much of the summer working on my health problems - I have stenosis of the cervical spine (my spine in my neck area is narrowing), which is very painful, and I have had two different nerves along my spinal column cauterized, and it seems to be helping! That's been the main problem, health-wise, along with arthritis in my left shoulder & both hips.

New stressors are that my school is being assigned a new principal (2nd one in 2 years), so I'm nervous about that, and K & 1 in my state are beginning the Common Core Standards in ELA & Math, so all of my lesson plans need to be totally revamped. In fact, we are being told that we will not be following the text in math. Instead, we will "skip around" in it in order to more closely follow the Common Core. In addition, my incoming first graders will not have had the CC last year, so they will not be at the level that the 1st grade CC assumes them to be. sigh

I really am happy overall about the CC, because transient students will be more guaranteed to NOT miss important skills. As a child, I attended 18 schools before graduating high school, and I KNOW I missed huge chunks of information! Luckily, I am a nerdy student who loved school more than home, so it didn't affect my grades, but my sister was absolutely lost much of the time.

Edit: I am excited to go back. I went today to measure my classroom so I can use graph paper to "pre-setup" my classroom, am attending Kagan cooperative learning classes, and am/have been reading & re-reading professional texts to improve and/or refresh my management & teaching!

17. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 9, 2012

This is only week 2 & summer school started today. That helped me to remember why I teach! I've had a week vacation, 3 week's of summer school (only 5 more days) & then another week off.

Just thinking (& hoping) that I get a different grade in the fall is motivating me. Talked to my P today, he told me he would be making a decision next week. So, we'll see if it's a different grade or back to K.

18. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2012

I do feel better. My nails are growing again. They only grow in the summer. lol. My BF calls me Summer Silver - he said I am like a different, relaxed person.

I am looking forward to going back. We were talking about the 5 stages of grieving the other day for some reason and I realized that since I have moved to PA 3 years ago, I have been grieving my old job. I started in denial - "This job is ok, it's just different. I think I like it." I totally went through anger at everyone - I hated it there, then bargaining - kept trying to find different jobs, different positions, anything to make it work. Finally was depression - I was crying constantly and swore I would get a job at Kmart before I kept working there. Now I have come to accept that this job will never be my last job, but that if I am going to get anything out of it, I need to throw myself into the position like I did at my last job. (I was on about 10 committees and advised 3 student activities at my last job - I haven't taken on anything here because of the schedule.) So this year, I will be the union president, I am helping the kids start a GSA, and we are totally revamping the newspaper, which I started up again last year. Pretty exciting, but I also have 4 preps, and I thought 3 was too many when I moved here.

19. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 9, 2012

I'm feeling sooooo amazing right now: relaxed, well-rested, and happy! Last year, I moved up to middle school after spending six years teaching 2nd grade. My learning curve went way up and I overcame a huge fear (teaching the "big kids" was something I told myself I'd never do)!

I had a tough batch of kids and ended up taking 25+ sick/personal days last year. There were days that I'd drive up to school and sit in the parking lot and think, "I don't want to get out of my car--I don't want to be here!"

I survived the year and I'm actually anxious to see how well my kids did on state testing. Despite the fact that they weren't the easiest kids to teach, they seemed to soak up every bit of knowledge I gave them.

Anyway, on the last day of school, I drove off campus knowing that I would never return to middle school and that my transfer request to return to 2nd grade was approved!!! :D

20. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2012

I feel soooo much better! Last year was HORRIBLE! I think next year will be much better.

21. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jul 9, 2012

I'm in a good place professionally.

We did not get a snow day this year, believe it or not, that killed morale at the student and teacher level for us. Strange, but true. The last year we had 8ish snow days. We always have 2 or 3. But, NOT A SINGLE ONE this year. It made for a LOT of grumps.

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 9, 2012

I have 3 weeks left & no, I'm NOT ready yet at all. I want at least 8 more weeks!!!

I finished my 1st year at my new job, which isn't technically a teaching position, but I still work with kids. I like this better. This next year coming up will be a year of great expectations put upon me. Last year, was kind of smooth sailing. This year will probably be tougher for me personally, unlike how they usually say that one's 1st year of teaching's the hardest.

23. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 9, 2012

As for me, I had a really difficult class this past year. I had 25 students and 10 were special education. I have two students who had full-time aides. I also had another student who had leg lengthening surgery and came back with rods in her leg. She also needed an aide.

Since it was an inclusion classroom, at any given time we would have 3-7 adults in the classroom for 25 kids. My classroom had a revolving door on it. So much chaos this year that I was really ready to let this class move on.

It was not a good mix of students either. A lot of students feeding off of each other. Oy! :dizzy:

However, I am always looking forward to a new school year with my students.

24. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 9, 2012

I had a wonderful group last year, but they still ran me a bit ragged :) I'm definitely more rested and relaxed now that I've had a month off.

Not ready to think about next year just yet, though.

25. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 9, 2012

No snow day here either. There was one day that a lot of schools closed the night before. We didn't. I was more bummed that there was no snow then the fact that we were one of the few schools open!

26. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 9, 2012

Feeling pretty good since I am spending some real quality time with my kids, get to do that for the next two weeks with my husband (and kiddos) and will feel a lot better after all of that. I am a tiny bit stressed about getting my room set up since I moved rooms and our building is under construction, so we are not sure about when it will be opened. I'm not overly worried about it, just need to get in there and figure out how to arrange furniture and where to put things.

27. onestepcloser

onestepcloser Companion

Jul 9, 2012

I just started the second week of summer vacation and I feel a mix of things. First... anxiety at the realization that summer is going to pass by quickly. Then, more anxiety because there are a lot of changes taking place at my school, none of which are positive (to add to the already huge list of issues). A tiny part of me is hopeful, but I'm having trouble maintaining that while there are so many unknowns right now. :(

28. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2012

I am very excited for next year- both for the new location and the new job! I still can't get over the fact that there will be a "miss waterfall's" class next year :). Of course there is that nagging thought that they could all of the sudden decide they really need a special ed teacher before the year starts and I could end up being moved (heard that horror story way too many times and there's a sped position that is "reposted" for the district which I assume means they haven't been able to find anyone) but I try not to think about it. There's a little bit of fear of the unknown, but my former school was getting a new P as well, so I would have had that even had I stayed there. My new school has a new P for next year and I kind of like that everyone will kind of be starting on the same page- since no one knows her, that's less of the "stuff I don't know that everybody else does."

29. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2012

I'm excited, but scared since I'll be in a new position. I loved my class last year and would have loved looping with them if I hadn't changed positions. Now I only have 2 weeks left until I go back, and I have a TON of work to do for the new job!

30. geoteacher

geoteacher Devotee

Jul 10, 2012

Better - but I still need some more time off! DH has some changes at his work that are adding to the stress, parents are aging, kids are growing up too fast. There just always seems to be something, but school definitely added another dimension last year.

31. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Jul 10, 2012

I'm enjoying my summer, but in the back of my mind I'm thinking about the kids I will have next year, how I'm going to get them excited about a subject they generally dislike, and how I'm going to deal with some difficult students and parents I have looming on the horizon. I'm also worried about the new writing assessment our state has implemented, and how I'm going to improve my scores on the EOC next year. My scores this year weren't bad, but they were definitely lower than I had hoped for. I'm really trying to enjoy my summer, but I think about school every day. In many ways I am my own worst enemy. I let stress and anxiety get the better of me. I need to work on keeping things in perspective and achieving balance between home and work in my life.

32. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2012

What professional book blog are you referring too?

I will be working at a new school, so I am experiencing some of the banned word. New admin, new expectations, and I am wondering how I will fit in. I like to know my place, my role, and it causes a bit of anxiety when I don't. I'm definitely extremely excited about the change, especially to be part of this new school (gives me butterflies every time I think about it), but of course I wonder about the curriculum (it's almost like starting over again), the school climate, etc.

33. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2012

Why? What will be different about next year? Are you moving into a different position?

34. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 10, 2012

TamiJ, this year coming up 2012-13, my boss is going to expect more of me & she told me so, which Iexpected. I'm an intern SLP, but still get the full salary. I literally got hired 4 mos after starting grad school (it's a 3 yr program) & the yr I just finished, which was my 1st yr, my mentor has done MOST of the paperwork & sat in with me on IEP meetings. Last school year (my 1st yr), my boss gave the usual 3 observations as she normally gives new people.