How are you decorating your room this year?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by runnerss, Jul 4, 2009.

1. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jul 18, 2009

I am going to continue with my sports theme... love the whole concept of TEAM. I bought a couple of new things to add to the ambiance of the room. I can't get back into my classroom until after the first week in August. That week (though) I will be on vacation at the late. SO... I will be going in to work on room set-up late on the weekend of Aug 15/16 or will start on Monday only 1 week before school starts on the 24th for my professional development. YIKES.. once I laid it out like that, our summer is going TOO quickly! Uggghhh...

2. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 18, 2009

I developed the coffee shop theme at the end of this past year because I noticed that my 5th graders were wanting to be treated a little bit older. It is really hard to do that when you are in a building with lower grades. I decided that I could at least make my room into a place where it wasn't too young but fun. There is no underlying message or hidden meaning. That is thinking way too much into it. It is just simply a place for kids to be comfortable and relaxed. I am personally not putting up coffee signs because that is not something that they are usually into at this age. I am taking the colors, furniture, and overall feel you will find in a coffee shop. Also, if a parent gets mad because of this I am not too worried. They will probably also the parent that will get mad over every little thing I do.

3. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 18, 2009

I understand the gist of your theme and love it. :)

It's kind of how youth pastors set up areas for their youth groups, also- like a "basement" or "coffee shop"-like feel, and it's not just a plain room. Hmm, neat idea- maybe I'll find some good pictures of their rooms online, too, for inspiration...

4. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2009

I found some neat zebra print magazine holders at Cost World Market (something like that), and have taken off with that. School colors are red and black, so all the bulletin boards will be black fabric (some with tiny pattern) and zebra borders, or paw print borders (We're the Wildcats), and splashes of red.

I found an inexpensive ($60) large area rug that has a zebra print. Paper for the School to Home Folders that has a zebra print with a dash of red at Office Depot.

I'm not changing everything to black, white, red and zebra print! I have green and blue desk caddies that aren't going anywhere. And I think I'm sticking to the pencil thing on the outside bulletin board. (Described earlier.)

Just finished making some posters for the math board and I printed with black ink onto white copy paper, then put a red border around each one.

Any ideas for titles? I'm only teaching writing and math this year.

5. sciencet

sciencet Rookie

Jul 19, 2009

For the past few years I have used a racing theme. With a new team this year, I decided that this was a good time for a new theme.

Since I am going to be teaching fifth grade science and health I am thinking of either an oceans theme or a jungle/safari theme since we study environments/habitats/biomes. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

6. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 19, 2009

You could do the different ecosystems.

7. katenar

katenar Cohort

Jul 24, 2009

For those of you doing "coffee themes" don't forget to post pictures. I just read through this whole thread in hopes that on page 9, I would find a link to see them. :) Anxiously awaiting.....sounds like a fun theme.

8. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 24, 2009

katenar...I have to wait until after August 3 to post pictures...my school has a ton of furniture in my room (that's not mine) and the carpets have to be cleaned. But I will post them after August 3!

9. caslan

caslan Rookie

Jul 25, 2009

Mine isn't done, and I haven't gotten to "theme-y" yet... not really sure what I'm going to do. No room for couches :( so I'm using large throw pillows about 3x3 (instead of beanbags b/c I hate the sound that beanbags make :) and I have chili-pepper curtains I made last year, so I'll be making red/black pillowcases for the pillows... I think I'll buy some hazel/coffee candles (which I can't burn, but they smell good anyway) and some dollar store coffee cups to put coffee beans in (for aroma, also) maybe christmas lights in the reading area. I think my wall decor will be "book posters (where can I get some???) and quotes from authors about writing... other than that, I'm leaving my walls pretty bare so that I can hang anchor charts for reading/writing workshop! Any other ideas are more than welcome :)

10. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Jul 28, 2009

Calling all Coffee shop theme people---

At my Walmart and on Ebay there are quite a few coffee shop style posters.

The walmart posters were by the frames, they start at $1.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2009

My son is 11, going into 6th grade.

He has never been into a coffee house. He doesn't drink coffee. He's never seen Friends. I haven't found a reason as of yet to let him try it. I really wouldn't be happy if his teacher was promoting it.

It would be totally lost on him.

Just curious-- why the interst in coffee? I'm not sure that, as a parent, it would lead me to think my son's teacher had a good grip on what was age-appropriate.

Now if you wanted to go with a college prep theme, I would be incredibly supportive.

12. ajquiett

ajquiett Rookie

Jul 29, 2009

We used tables in my student teaching and had everything done in groups. Subject materials were color-coded and kept in magazine racks. Community pencils were kept in the middle of the table and each table had a different color of pencils and erasers. Each table had a captain who was responsible for getting out the materials for each subject. It worked really well. We even went so far as to color-code the papers used in each subject to match the colors of their folders. This was in 4th grade and it made it easy on the students and on us!

13. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 29, 2009

I think it's nice warm tones/browns in pillows, cool chairs, and a cozy feel those teachers are going for. For example in my room, I have pillows with swirls, a comfortable rug, and a dark brown leather ottoman- and it has a nice, comfortable feel for my classroom library. I guess some of my decor could be in a bookstore like Barnes and Noble or even in a coffee house, though I would never be promoting coffee.

By the way, Mrs. Renz in Oregon does a really neat bulletin board that's college prep. I think the bulletin board says "It's not a matter of if you're going to college; it's where you're going to college." LOVE that idea.

14. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Aug 1, 2009

Spot on:cool:

15. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Aug 1, 2009

II wasn't planning on putting signs up of coffee or promoting coffee. I am not going to tell them how great coffee is and how they should start drinking it. I am not going to give it during lunch or for snack. I am not going to take them on a field trip to starbucks. I am NOT promoting coffee. If having a couch, inviting colors, and lamps is promoting coffee then I guess my house promotes coffee too. The idea is just to have a relaxing atmosphere. Sure I thought about having a sign that said "A Fresh Place to Start" but again unless I put coffee beans on the sign or a coffee cup I don't think that I am promoting coffee. The kids probably wouldn't even think that I got the idea from a coffee shop unless I told them.

New name for theme: Relaxing Atmosphere

16. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2009

:lol:

17. cmw

cmw Groupie

Aug 2, 2009

I'm really surprised at some of the negative feedback about the coffee theme. But chances are, depending on your school, there may be some parents who would also bring up the same issues & it's good to have a head's up. I really do think it is a cool theme. But when I think of Arabica (another coffee shop here) they sell all sorts of drinks including teas and smoothies. (They also sell food). So maybe there is some way to incorporate those or even a tall glass of milk. :D

18. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2009

I'm just trying to stick with a patriotic theme since I teach S.S. to several classes each day. I have red, white, and blue baskets, bins, pillows, bean bags, carpet, etc...The walls will have Abe and George, of course in addition to U.S. symbols and the 3 Branches of Government. I have so many other goodies in my closets but I can't remember what right now. Maybe I'll go in next week to get some of this done.

19. sciencet

sciencet Rookie

Aug 2, 2009

I am still going with an ocean theme and got downloadable newsletter templates, desk nameplates, and helper chart cards from the Teachers' Clubhouse. My door is going to say "Dive into Fifth Grade;" above my library I have a shark that says,"Sink your teeth into a good book;" and above my computers I have a sign that says,"Internet Island," but I am having trouble thinking of a "catch" name for my helper board. (Last year when I did a racing theme, my helpers were the Pit Crew.)

Any suggestions?

20. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Aug 2, 2009

This is going to be really cute! Maybe you could do "Helpful Sailors" for your helper board. Or you could do "Deck Hands" for your helpers.

21. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Aug 2, 2009

Sounds Perfect since you teach Social Studies! I bet it will be very colorful as well.

22. mrstchr

mrstchr Rookie

Aug 4, 2009

I am teaching 5th grade science this year and am thinking about a survivor theme. I have a ton of grass skirts and things like that, but am not trying to come up with ideas for immunity and stuff like that.

23. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Aug 4, 2009

Just came back from buying some new things to make my carpet area more "grown up"... Gotta love Target! I bought a bright green polka dotted body pillow, green side table, multi-colored polka dot pillow and a pink lamp (small lamps are $12 right now!), and that was after showing much restraint and putting several things back. I'll be putting up some big rice paper lamps from ikea and am using colored bins and colored masking tape to delineate my math and science areas. Setup starts next Monday!

24. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Aug 4, 2009

I love the "Deck Hands" idea for your helper board :) And I'm STILL looking for pictures from someone....:)

I don't really have a theme....Math because that's all I teach :) But if I had to say I have a theme.....it could be flamingo's. I love them and they are EVERYWHERE in my room.

25. USCgrad

USCgrad Companion

Aug 4, 2009

i could not come up with anything and decided i did not want to spend a lot of money until I see if I can handle 5th grade...

so....

i went to dollar general and found stuff that relates to academics....

everyday heroes bulletin board, science bulletin board, math bulletin board, and a few posters relating to language arts....

by the time that is up...i hope it will look okay....

i am using the everyday heroes bulletin board to rotate writing samples weekly....I am going to have the students use current events, everyday life, and whatnot to write a weekly page describing their experiences with an everyday hero that week...I thought it would integrate US History and character education....

I need to put something in the hall outside my door but am not very creative so not sure what to do!!

26. foxteach1

foxteach1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2009

I used a frog theme for years in first grade--fill us in when you are done! I'd love to see how you adapt it for fifth.

27. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Aug 7, 2009

Kohl's has their college stuff 50% off... some cute lamps, tables and other decor, and one set of their designs is wacky letters! i bought a door curtain and a plasma ball for my science center. Not sure how everything's going to come together just yet, but I'm having fun shopping!

28. Eneli

Eneli Rookie

Aug 7, 2009

Lifeguard Station

I am also doing an island/beach/ocean theme and my classroom jobs pocket chart is called the "Lifeguard Station" and I printed pictures of life savers with the names of the different classroom jobs. I will laminate it and when I assign jobs, I'll write the students' names on it.

29. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Aug 7, 2009

FYI, I posted a link to my "coffee shop" classroom to the General Ed. forum! Please go check it out and offer suggestions!

30. ILovetoTeach

ILovetoTeach Rookie

Aug 8, 2009

I teach 5th grade and think the coffee theme is a great idea! I am surprised by all of the negative comments...come on people! It's not like she is going to sell or give coffee to her students! I'm sorry you have to defend yourself runnerss!

31. kalper07

kalper07 Rookie

Aug 8, 2009

I find this whole idea of themes so interesting! In my school/other schools I've been in, I've never seen teachers use a theme when setting up classrooms. I wonder if it's a regional thing?

32. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2009

Where I'm from, the local school carnivals and athletic concession stands do sell hot Cheetos with hot melted cheese dripping on top. ugh.

ok; back to themes...I really don't start off with a room theme either. I decorate with apples, but that quickly moves onto Fall theme.

33. bryanmj

bryanmj Rookie

Aug 10, 2009

I don't really "decorate" a whole lot. I use colored paper as a background and do one welcome board at the beginning of the year. I use a lot of the large post-it pads and hang them. I use them throughout my lessons and leave them up throughout a unit. This uses my wall space in an educational way and provides usable resources for my students that they had a part in creating. I find that my students USE the information on the walls a lot more when they have a hand in creating it!

34. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Aug 11, 2009

Your room can have a theme without using a lot of teacher store items. If you look at my classroom pictures, there is not anything on the walls, for the very same reasons you explained. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2357540&id=12309725&l=623f4bd9cf

However, my goal was to give off the feel of a coffee shop. The colors I chose (browns and reds), the wording of my bulletin boards, and my "cafe tables" (okay, camp chairs and tv tables) all are supposed to make the classroom feel like a coffee shop/bookstore...my theme.