How are you decorating your room this year?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by runnerss, Jul 4, 2009.

1. 1gdteach

1gdteach Companion

Jul 10, 2009

well not to get in the way of the coffee shop idea, but I am doing a frog theme. I will post pictures of my progress. I love frogs and im super excited...

2. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Jul 10, 2009

I'm not really sure yet how I am going to decorate, but I am getting some great ideas from you guys! Right now, I am starting to get the magazines from Trend and Really Good Stuff so that is getting me inspired also.

3. caslan

caslan Rookie

Jul 10, 2009

I love to come here and read when I'm having an "I don't want to go back to school" kind of day.. ya'll get me all fired up! Can't wait to get started on my coffee shop theme! :) BUT I'm waiting on a job interview. I currently have the 5th/6th grade L.Arts position where I am, but I applied for a 9th grade L. Arts position at a school a bit (okay a lot) closer to home with more pay... should hear something in the next week or two... Can't get started till I know where I'm going to be! :) Love the ideas! Keep 'em coming!

Cassandra

4. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Jul 10, 2009

If there is a hobby lobby near you they have some really neat coffee shop signs.

5. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 10, 2009

Ohhhhh!!! That would be awesome, I will have to check!!!

I love that everyone is sharing their great ideas. It makes me feel bad about how lame my first classroom was a couple years ago! You all are keeping me inspired (in addition to those babies we teach!)!:thanks:

6. ParaPacker

ParaPacker Rookie

Jul 10, 2009

Ohh I am so jealous! I brought in a bookshelf last year with some contact paper on it and the custodian made me take is home because it was not school approved. I can't even tell you what he said when we put up Christmas Lights!!! :eek:

HOWEVER - that doesn't stop me. I am going to take your coffee shop idea and see what I can do. Thanks for all the GREAT ideas!!! I love it.:thumb:

7. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 10, 2009

Well, I'm glad the coffee shop theme is a big hit. I worked on my room today but never brought the camera. I will probably wait until I get it all done. I should really be able to do some major work on it on Tuesday since it will be cleaned by then.

Another theme that would be cool is a Rock N' Roll theme.

8. summersun61

summersun61 Comrade

Jul 11, 2009

I'm working with 3rd/4th/5th graders this year...how would they do with a hollywood/movie theme? I found a bunch of cute things from trend and www.hollywoodmegastore.com. I also bought a banner from oriental trading which looks like a old time movie theatre entrance with the words "Now Showing...Mrs. ________ 4th Grade Stars." I am decorating with film strip borders, gold stars, and popcorn accents. Does anyone know where to get a directors chair for cheap? I also need help thinking of a discipline plan to go along with this theme. Any ideas?

9. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 11, 2009

That's a great idea!!!! I think they would love it :)

10. ParaPacker

ParaPacker Rookie

Jul 11, 2009

Movie theme

Oh this is a fun one :)

For classroom jobs you could have Theater or actor jobs. Leading Lady, Stunt Double, Prop director, Ticket holder, Concessions, Animal Trainer, ...

For discipline, you could do movie tickets (red, green, yellow). You could do an economy system where they have to buy or spend tickets for missing homework, behavior, or what have you. They could also earn tickets or money if they do something good.

The class could work towards a movie day/popcorn party. They could also write letters to their favorite actor/actress and see if they get a reply back. That would be a very awesome reward!

Enjoy.

11. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2009

I'm thinking about getting rid of my individual student desks and having tables instead. I like that I could move the tables out of the way easily for more room when needed. Also, we are departmentalized and I get so tired of dealing with "My pencil sharpener is gone from my desk!" --or other such madness! Our kids each have their own full-length lockers in the hallway so they can keep their stuff there. It would also stop my desk-diggers from being off task. Has anyone every taught with tables and no desks? I'm 5th BTW.

12. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 11, 2009

I love that idea!! I echo the idea of the movie tickets for your behavior plan. You can get raffle tickets (in many colors) for cheap at WalMart or a Party Store (Party City). Party City also has cheap Hollywood themed stuff (we used it for our musical). Maybe try Ikea, Big Lots, or Bed, Bath, & Beyond for the chair. :D

13. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 11, 2009

I teach 22 sections & like the flexibility of tables. I have 1 table that seats up to 8 and 4 tables that seat up to 6. They can also squeeze in another chair if they need to. I can group the students easier by just having them move to different seats. The only issue is the student who cannot handle being by others & needs separated. I would keep a few desks (or small tables) for those students. You also need to establish firm expectations with students facing you when you're talking. With tables some seats/ students will have their back facing you. I called those seats "special" and told the classes I needed the most responsible students sitting there. I told them anytime I was speaking they needed to turn towards me. :)

14. summersun61

summersun61 Comrade

Jul 11, 2009

Movie Theme

Thanks for the behavior ticket ideas. I don't have an Ikea or Big Lots near me, but I'll definitely check Bed Bath and Beyond for the chair!

15. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2009

I'm going to tables this year since we're departmentalizing. I don't want to deal with the "missing" items and "someone put trash in my desk".

As far as I know, I'm teaching 3 sections of writing and one of math. I'm not going with an all-out theme since I'm on a tight budget this year. Wish I could go nuts. The coffee house theme sounds like fun, and I love the math boot camp idea.

But I do have colorful pencils that list the six stages of writing, a huge long pencil that says "Welcome", and I've got the hall bulletin board figured out.

I'm going to use black paper (already have), and use different colored bright fabric paint to write their names in cursive all over the paper. I'm just going to cover the board with all the names in fifth grade (around 60) and add some splotches of paint here and there. Then put the Welcome pencil up over the board. Simple.

So perhaps it's a pencil theme???

16. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 11, 2009

I had tables last year for 5th grade. I loved it. It made it easier to do group work. I made sure to have a couple desks or small tables for kids who prefer to sit alone or for "time-out" areas. Even as 5th graders, I had a couple students who were like, "Hey, I cannot control my mouth, can I sit by myself?"

17. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 12, 2009

I have often thought of using tables instead of desks. How did it work for classroom mgmt.? How did you keep them from cheating? Did they get in each others way? Did you have to listen to "His stuff is on my side!!" a lot?

We actually have an extra room this year, and I was thinking about using it from time to time to try out the table thing.

18. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 12, 2009

When we gave tests, I would give the students a manila folder to give them "privacy"

19. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 12, 2009

I was able to use tables from the science lab last year for a special activity and I LOVED it. If I could get my hands onto some I would use them in a heart beat. Management wasn't any different then if you put them in groups. I gave them folders during test and monitored closely like usual.

20. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Jul 12, 2009

I saw some small paintings that were coffee related at our local Walmart and I also thought you could look in the wallpaper border section. They will have some coffee themed things there.

21. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 12, 2009

First let me say that I'm jealous of all the room you guys seem to have. I am not going to focus on that though because I am going to be a brand new teacher in a brand new classroom so I'm counting my blessings.

I love the coffee theme too but my first thought was this...

Coffee is an addictive adult drink. Are we promoting that? I agree though that the atmosphere in a coffee house is relaxing. My question is how can we indulge in this theme without risking a parent getting mad at the underlying message and promotion of "coffee?" Just wondering.

22. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 12, 2009

cutNglue, I see your point, but I think in one way or another we expose our kids to societal ills throughout their schooling. Television (or showing movies in class), candy (as rewards and for parties), highly processed "food" stuff (lunch), and unhealthy beverages. I know I certainly drink coffee in my classroom (in the mornings).

I am focusing more on the feel of the room. I want it comfy like my favorite coffee shop. I could very easily not mention the who coffee shop thing. Hopefully it does not become an issue with parents.

23. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 12, 2009

My room stays essentially the same- I'm not going to plunk a lot of money into new decor every year...the kids are new, they haven't been through the 2nd grade experience with me yet- it's exciting enough, I don't need to change decor to keep the kids jazzed...that said, I do keep things fresh, colorful and neat...if things get worn out, I replace them...I'm getting a SmartBoard installed- that's cool and exciting...I do a begining of the year theme for my back to school letter and first week of school activities and bulletin board...Stay enthusiastic and passionate about what you do, connect with the kids and love them...it doesn't matter what your decor is as long as you create a classroom community based on respect and belonging, foster feelings of connectedness, contribution and capability, and deliver a strong curriculum...

24. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 12, 2009

I'm teaching 5th grade next year...

I am thinking I will do a starry night theme. This will allow me to put a small tent in the corner for one student to enjoy at a time and a few small sleeping bags to sit upon for spreading out. I will have some kind of tarp/sheet with the constellations painted over the reading/tent area. I will have a moon somewhere in the classroom too. I am going to paint/construct a large sunset outside the classroom over the door.

will certainly do the glow in the dark paint/stickers for the times when the lights go off.

Not sure what else I'll do to add to the theme. I am going to keep the theme for several years so I dont mind putting extra work into it. Feel free to offer any suggestions.

I may go all out with the camping under the stars theme (bring in more of the camping idea than just the night sky idea.) Any thoughts?

25. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 12, 2009

cutNglue, i had the same thoughts as you about the coffeehouse thing... I'm going for the hip, comfy vibe but won't be putting coffee paraphernalia anywhere. Then again, I'm anti-McDonald's and the terrible hot Cheetos that my kids eat daily, and they're well aware of that, so having coffee signs wouldn't make any sense in my room. But honestly, I don't know that seeing signs in the classroom would be solely responsible for making my kids want to drink coffee... the sugary goodness of Frappuccinos and popularity of Starbucks seem to have taken care of that already.

26. shouldbeasleep

Jul 13, 2009

ummm.... what's the hot Cheetos thing? That sounds good.

(I know. You are going to refuse to tell me.)

27. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2009

oh hot cheetos is about the only chips my kids will eat - they love them. I think they are gross - and stain your fingers

28. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 13, 2009

I am not a fan of hot cheetos, but I do love the hot Lays. Same thing, but on chips!

29. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 13, 2009

Flaming hot cheetos are bright red and spicy/tangy kind of like those Andy Capps Hot Fries from the 80s. They also make them with lime... and although I do love me some junk food from time to time, most of my students eat a big bag of them at least 3 times a week AT SCHOOL which is just ridiculous. I have to explicitly say no hot Cheetos for parties otherwise we'll get a dozen bags. They're crazy about 'em...

30. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 13, 2009

Of course I don't think putting coffee pictures in a classroom will inspire kids to drink it, and if this was high school I might have had a different response. All I know is a parent in my school complained once because I drank diet coke in my classroom. I had ZERO kids in my classroom at the time and the parent that complained was in a classroom across the hall. Apparently being able to see it from another classroom across the hall was enough. So consider that experience as part of the basis of me asking that question. Personally, coffee image aside, I like the atmosphere each of you are working to create within that theme.

31. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 13, 2009

really??? sometimes i think parents will find any excuse to give teachers a hard time!

32. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Jul 13, 2009

YEP!

33. caslan

caslan Rookie

Jul 13, 2009

I don't see the coffee shop theme as encouraging students to drink coffee... It's more the atmosphere that I'm going for, comfortable, relaxing, think barnes and noble.. That's a place you just WANT to go sit on a couch and curl up with a good book, which is EXACTLY what I want my students to get from my classes. I seriously don't think any parents will have an issue with it; the parents in my area have a lot bigger fish to fry and the kids definitely have larger issues than coffee drinking :) I like the idea, and I'm going to run with it ;)

34. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 13, 2009

Caslan you took the words from my mouth!!! I cannot wait to see pictures from everyones' rooms. I will take some by the end of this week, hopefully. I am waiting for my camera battery charger and my super-cool chinese lantern lights to come in the mail.

This is such a fun way to plan a classroom. Many of us doing the same thing, but it comes off as unique! I appreciate the help and tips.

Last year, my room was not nearly as cool and my room is going to be this year, and parents still came into the room and were amazed with its comfort and warmth. My room will ooze warmth this year!

35. shouldbeasleep

Jul 13, 2009

OK Now I know what hot Cheetos are. I can't stand them. One of my students gave a bag to me last year after school and I ate one Cheetoh and about died.

I have no idea what I was thinking, except I was hungry! I was picturing hot melted cheese dripping over something.....

36. ATeach

ATeach New Member

Jul 14, 2009

I'm looking for ideas for my room too. The coffee shop theme sounds awesome! I don't have much room since I have 35 kids, but would you tell me more about your room?

In the past I have done a sunflower/garden theme, apples, and this past year I didn't really have a central theme.

37. kdavid5

kdavid5 New Member

Jul 17, 2009

Classroom theme; Travel Agency

This year I will be teaching a combo class with both fifth and sixth graders. I have decided to decorate my room like a travel agency since both grades are working on geography. My fifth graders will be agents for the United States since they are doing US History and my sixth graders will be "agents" for international travel since they are learning World Cultures. They will also be able to earn "money" through their classroom jobs to by gas and plane tickets to "travel" to different places.

It is still in the works but this was what I thought could apply to both grade levels and tie into their curriculum.

38. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 17, 2009

I love it! That sounds so fun! And think about a behavior system...frequent flyer miles or something!

39. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 17, 2009

I do the travel theme, also, though I am looking for a comfortable way to set up my classroom library (if I have room). I'll see. I have twenty-five students this coming year, and I am getting rid of my teacher's desk. You all have great ideas.

40. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Jul 18, 2009

My problem is I had this class for 1st grade and again last year while we departmentalized ( I taught Math/Bible) now I have them for 5th grade (all day). Our school is smallish so they have experienced the travel, sports, jungle, and rain forest themes. Someone else is using the hollywood/movie theme.

I am leaning on doing an Extreme Sports theme with a beachy twist. A little tropical stuff mixed in with a bunch of posters using inspirational quotes. Really Good Stuff has a poster & stuff that says "Challenge yourself to succeed"!

I have bought a couple of bubble chairs (neon green and bright orange) and lap desks for the kids to use as special rewards (thinking homeworkopoly) and I have some bamboo beach mats.

I am sort of all over the place with this. I'll take any ideas you all have!