How are you decorating your room this year?

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by runnerss, Jul 4, 2009.

1. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 4, 2009

I know I have said it before, but I am doing a coffee shop theme with the colors, furniture, and lighting. I am going Monday to start decorating and will take some pics and post monday. Share your ideas?

3. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 4, 2009

I'm so excited to see you pictures. If I had money to spend I would run with this theme :)

4. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 4, 2009

I hear i ya. I am spending minimal. I got a couch in pretty good shape for $20. It is fairly new and had a tear in it from a dog. I think I can cover it up pretty easily. I am getting burlap sack to cover the bulletin boards for cheap and I got tulle to use as a border for really cheap on ebay. I also got an idea from another teacher to put table cloths on the board. I am now trying to find christmas lights to put on the ceiling. That might be the most expensive thing.

5. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jul 4, 2009

My whole school is doing "dive into learning" so I went with the beach/ocean/fish thing. It is terribly cute, or was until I had to move the last of my stuff in there ;) I'm heading in Monday to see if I can finish organizing and then I'll take some pics.

I love the idea of a coffee shop - especially if you are a language arts teacher, very Barnes and Noble-y!

Christmas lights - my dollar store has them - clear you might want to check :)

6. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 4, 2009

The ocean theme seems like a great idea. There is so much you can do with that.
    Thanks for the tip on the christmas lights!
    My class moto will be " A fresh place to start" I thought it fit well with the coffee shop them, but I also like what it stands for. My kids always bring in personal baggage into the room which keeps them from learning. They also bring in educational baggagel. They think that they were bad in math the year before so they will be bad again. I want them to know that no matter what happens outside the room my my room will be a "fresh place to start".

7. teaching4God

teaching4God Cohort

Jul 4, 2009

I am doing a nature theme. It just seems to tie in well since I teach three classes of science, one of social studies, and one of writing.

8. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 4, 2009

That sounds very cool! :cool: Even the McDonald's have changed to the cafe look.

9. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 4, 2009

There is just something relaxing about it.

10. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2009

I don't really have a theme, but this year I have a lot of the new "dot" series I found at the teacher store. I really liked it. I also painted a wall in my room to a really pretty blue color.

[​IMG] (dots I mentioned above)

11. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 5, 2009

LOVE IT!!! They also have paper made of that design.

12. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 5, 2009

That would tie in really well. I bet the kids will love it!

Okay, we need to make sure we put up pics when we start. :thumb:

I am starting Monday just because my summer is about to get really busy soon.

13. 4inteacher

4inteacher Rookie

Jul 6, 2009

I began teaching just last semester and I have no teaching degree so this is all new to me, but I'm planning on color-coding subjects in my classroom next year. I'll have an area for each subject and a "mock bulletin board" for each subject (our rooms only have one small bulletin board, so we just create our own with borders, poster board, and tape). I'm covering storage boxes in contact paper with respective colors. I have colored review index cards for a couple of subjects.

I wanted to keep it simple. Maybe next year I'll try a theme for the whole room. That sounds way too daunting right now though.

I'm still trying to come up with ideas for bulletin board titles if you can think of any. Here are my subjects and colors:

Reading (red)
    Writing (purple)
    Math (yellow)
    Science/Health (green)
    History/Geography (blue)
    Spelling (orange)
    Art--I'm thinking "creation station" for this one. Corny?
    (my co-teacher teaches Language)

14. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 6, 2009

I know it's fifth grade, but I still like to do a theme. I am going to use frogs this year. I teach in a Catholic school, so I can use the theme "Freely (or fully) rely on God." I am already working on my website to make it all 'froggy.'

15. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 6, 2009

Have you seen the border that says that? I had it a few years ago when I was in Catholic Schools. It was super cute!!! It said F.R.O.G. in big letters and then fully rely on God next to it. Then it had frog pics. It was reds & purples. :D

16. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 6, 2009

CMW - No but I will definately be on the lookout for it now! Thanks!

17. caslan

caslan Rookie

Jul 6, 2009

I was just checking back for photos of what everyone is doing in their classroom! :) Still looking for ideas, although my original was the coffee shop theme, but I don't have room for chairs, so I'm going to buy large throw pillows and make cushions to match my chili pepper fabric curtains (I made them last year)... Would like to add some lights, etc to the room... Even thinking of getting rid of my teacher desk.. I don't really use it, and I could use the room... Anyone else done this??? Keep the ideas coming!

Cassandra

18. teach2boyz

teach2boyz Rookie

Jul 6, 2009

I'm doing a sports theme.

I did it last year, too.

I use CHAMPS positive behavior plan; so it ties in.

I have a bullentin board with "jerseys" that the students cut out and decorate. They put their number on it. It stays up all year!

I do primary colors, too.

I'll do more with this year.

19. KinderMissN

KinderMissN Companion

Jul 6, 2009

Cassandra- I got rid of my desk last year in Kinder and it was tough! I didn't realize how much I still needed teacher "space". If you choose to get rid of your desk, make sure you still have a designated teacher space where you can store your things: plans, gradebook, attendance, etc. It really requires organization so you don't misplace things (or it did for me, anyway!)

Good luck! Once I had a system, it really kept me on my toes and interacting with students, rather than sitting behind my desk.

20. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 6, 2009

I only use my desk for organization of papers & supplies so I put my desk facing a wall. On it I'll have my binders (lesson plans, grades, substitte, musical, & band. On the BB behind it I'm putting up those legal sie plastic wall files. I do sit down at it sometimes during my plan...but usually I use a table b-c I like to spread out. :p Last year I had it in the back near my closet. This year it will be up front. Having it face a wall really gives you a lot of extra space. I definitely agree with needing a teacher space in the room. Students also can put valuable things on it if they need to.
    Here's a link to the pic of how I have it for this year.
    http://www.bubbleshare.com/myalbum/620675.7e005f9779c/intro

21. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2009

cmw~I can't see the pic.

22. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 6, 2009

I just added a link for Bubbleshare instead. My account says I can't post attach, so I'm not sure if that's the issue. I did read your post to my question about the pics & I'll try those sites if Bubbleshare won't work. :D:thanks:

23. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 6, 2009

I would love to get rid of my teacher desk (in favor of a teeny tiny computer desk...I still want a "me space") but my school doesn't have a place to store unused desks.

24. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jul 6, 2009

I bought the dot stuff too. I thought it was so cute!!! I'm doing a Hollywood theme and the dots can be spotlights.

25. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 6, 2009

I got rid of my teacher desk! I have 2 small trapezoid tables that I keep my computer, scanner, and printer. I also have a kidney table I use for small groups if I need a larger area to work. I just stacked my desk with junk. I have bins and baskets to keep things and I will keep that on the bookshelf or cabinets. I have so much more room now I got that big bulky thing out of the way.

26. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 6, 2009

Started my room today. I am limited on what I can do because they still haven't cleaned it yet. I am just able to put things on the wall. I can't put my couch in there yet and I can't arrange anything. I will take pics tomorrow of what I have done, if I remember my camera.

27. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jul 6, 2009

I am sort of playing with themes. My room has these really awesome drab pink cabinets and shelves... (sarcasm). Since I've heard that 5th graders aren't huge "theme" fans I'm thinking of just going with a polka dot theme. I have one HUGE bulletin wall covered with light green fabric and then dark green polka dotted fabric. JoAnns has the same polka dot fabric I used in about 5 different colors, so I think I might get a few more yards and accessorize the room with them. =)

I really like Owls and would have liked to make an owl theme. But that's kind of a hard one to do. =)

28. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 6, 2009

I think 5th graders like themes, I just think that they don't want it to be for little kids. For example, if I had clowns in my room as my theme they would probably refuse to even come into the room or they would come in but not sit down until they had torn down every clown. :lol: I did math boot camp this year and they loved it. I had a fighter jet, hummer, and vines hanging down. They got a kick out of it. It was a cool theme that fit their age.

29. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 6, 2009

I am a 7th and 8th grade teacher (ELA) and I LOVE the coffee shop idea. I already have plans to get a couch/futon for my classroom and I have floor pillows and rugs. I am totally going to run with that idea (hope you don't mind). I think it will be totally cool with 7th and 8th graders, because that's when kids start hanging out in coffee shops! Love it!

30. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 6, 2009

I don't mind at all. I think kids really would like it. I got a couch off of craigslist. I also am backing my bulletin boards with Postal brown paper. I got some from the dollar store. I was going to use burlap sack but it ended up being way to expensive.

31. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 6, 2009

Awesome! If you have an IKEA near you, you can get lamps for super-cheap. My 5th graders from last year LOVED them. A couple years ago I did a Coffee Shop to celebrate and share our poetry unit. I made a bunch of baked goods, brought drinks, and the kids would read their poems or poems that inspired them (the audience snapped their fingers in appreciation). The kids (and I) had a great time. It was a great way to open up your classroom to parents and people in your building too! I think I want to do something like that several times this year, sharing work. I am checking out a futon tomorrow I found on craigslist. Hopefully it's in decent shape!

I will post any ideas I come up with, let me know if you think of anything else! I was thinking about using glass containers with coffee beans in them as decorations around the room.

I hate the sterile feel of a stereotypical classroom. I am teaching at a Catholic school, so stereotype times 1000. But the P and AP are very progressive and excited about my take on teaching. I want to blow their (and the kids) minds with how comfortable and soothing learning can be!

32. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 6, 2009

I think we would get along very well! I am going to keep my pens in coffee cups. I think I may go to our Clay Cafe (pottery place) to make some just for fun. It will give me something to do.

I am using deep blue and purple tulle to go around the bulletin board

We don't have an IKEA :( I wish we did. I am thinking of putting christmas lights on the ceiling

My motto will be "A Fresh Place to Start"

33. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 6, 2009

So I went a little crazy. I just bought 5 read burlap sacks (used to transport coffee) on ebay. It was about 20 dollars. I figure I will get the postal paper too. I have 4 bulletin boards, and I am not sure if I have enough burlap. I figure I can layer the postal paper underneath. I am going to search for coffee-shop like signs to put in the reading corner. Since I am teaching 7th and 8th I am less concerned with the theme connecting to the room. I just want a comfortable learning space. I think your theme is super-cute!

I want to do the Christmas lights too!

Let's just hope our kids don't want to try drinking coffee after being in our rooms!

34. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 8, 2009

Update on my little "coffee shop"! I went to Dollar Tree and found wrapping paper that is the brown package paper with gold stars. I used that to cover my 4 bulletin boards.

I am using one board as a word wall, and I used the title "Now Brewing: Flavorful Vocabulary"

I got a futon for the classroom. Found it on Craigslist, it was listed at 50 dollars, when I told him that I was a teacher, he sold it to me for 30! Use that teacher card!!!

Finally, the most exciting is that I found awesome lights on clearance for my room. I love the Paper Lantern Store, and I found a blowout deal for a string of mini-lanterns to hang in the classroom. Here is the link...there is tons of extra stuff on the site too!

http://www.paperlanternstore.com/bl32redwpodo.html

35. 2Beagles

2Beagles Rookie

Jul 8, 2009

Please post some pictures!!! I don't do a theme thing but I like this idea a lot.

36. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 9, 2009

I will as soon as my room is presentable! The school installed new lockers and put in new floors. My classroom has become a holding facility. There's a science lab table, a broken bookshelf, and three filing cabinets in my room that don't belong!

37. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 9, 2009

I'll be using a butterfly theme this year.

38. cmw

cmw Groupie

Jul 9, 2009

I'm sooo excited to see what your room looks like when it's done. :up:

39. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Jul 9, 2009

So........do you have hidden cameras in my room. Are you spying on me? :cool: We have a lot of the same ideas. I can't wait to see your room. It will be cool to see how both of ours turn out.

40. noreenk

noreenk Cohort

Jul 9, 2009

i wasn't so sure about this coffee shop idea at first, but then i got a great dark wood tower bookcase at a garage sale that screams sophistication beyond our usual oversized pillows. i'm gonna pull out my old ikea paper lanterns and make my library ultra hip this year... since i'm having students i taught in primary, they'll love the grown-up feel.

As another person mentioned, I'm planning on color-coding a few areas to keep things organized. I color-code all my folders/notebooks, but this time I'm going to really organize all my science equipment into one place for me and the students to access it all, and everything will be green. The math area will also have all the manipulatives and games on display will all blue accessories. Target has all kinds of great blue and green things for dorm rooms... can't wait until they go on sale/clearance!

...And I got rid of my teacher desk after my first year. I have a kidney table that holds my stuff at the ends, and one computer desk is "mine", with my printer/copier/scanner next to it and a little calendar so i can keep track of meetings and events.

41. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 10, 2009

Boy, I would love to have room for a couch or chairs. So jealous of those of you who have the space! Sounds great.