How Are You All Spending Your 4th?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Chef Dave, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Chef Dave

Chef Dave Companion

Jul 3, 2008

There's just me ... so come the 4th, I'll fire up my grill and cook a steak. I'll wait until sunset since the summer heat has driven temperatures in Arizona up into the triple digits. I'll most likely have dinner on the patio out by my pond.

There won't be any fireworks to watch. Fireworks are illegal in this state ... presumably because of the risk posed by fire due to the dryness of our vegetation.

What about you? What are your plans?

3. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jul 3, 2008

I'm spending my 4th by packing up more of my bedroom and continuing to sand the pine wood dining room table that I bought for my new apartment. My family and I aren't celebrating until Saturday--- which will include pool time, steaks, cheeseburgers, and hot dogs. :D

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 3, 2008

We are having a BBQ with about 10 relatives. My husband is remodeling our bathroom so hopefully he will be done before the guests arrive tomorrow! I wonder if we can rent port-a-potties at this late a date...:woot:

5. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Jul 3, 2008

I feel like today is Friday and tomorrow is Saturday. Tomorrow I will be cleaning my house in the am, and going to the in laws for a low key BBQ. Saturday, I work and my hubby works. Sunday another family BBQ.

Happy 4th everyone.

The fireworks have already begun !!

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 3, 2008

Was thinking about the beach on Sat, but probably not.

7. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 3, 2008

Cleaning my house and making my son clean out his bedroom dresser and closet because even he doesn't know what is in there. We'll have rib eyes on the grill with roasted potatoes, veggies, and a blueberry cobbler that evening when some friends come over.

8. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jul 3, 2008

On a plane... flying to Orlando... for my cruise on Saturday! :)

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 3, 2008

Shopping for new kitchen appliances.

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 4, 2008

At the lake, camping, boating, a whole lotta nothing!

11. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jul 4, 2008

Working. Blah.

But I saw some great fireworks last night, yay!

12. Eliza

Eliza Companion

Jul 4, 2008

Family get-together on the river with lots of food and fireworks!:2up:

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 4, 2008

Hubby works tonight at 7 so it will just be me and my daughter. We'll probably get our lawn chairs and sit outside and watch the fireworks around the neighborhood. Our dogs get VERY scared. In fact they got out the night before last because people were already shooting off fireworks (and have been all week). So we need to stay close.

14. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Jul 4, 2008

we are grilling out chicken and the kids want to make smore's. we live by the air base and they set off fireworks, we can watch from the back yard if it doesn't rain.

[​IMG]

15. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Jul 4, 2008

The 4th weekend started Thursday around here. I went to my hubby's softball game last night, then a party at a friend's house for fireworks. Today we had a softball tourney, and no big plans for tonight.
    Tomorrow we have more softball tourney, then a party at my sister's with friends and family for fireworks, round 2.
    Hopefully, no softball on Sunday:)
    And trying not to worry because I haven't heard from the interview I had on Wednesday.

16. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jul 4, 2008

Our son came home from college yesterday. We had some grilled burgers and then went to downtown Columbus to watch the fireworks show - Red, White, and Boom! It was a fabulous show!

Today it has been drizzling rain all day - and it's quite cool. We had all the windows open last night and they are open today too. Just relaxing today. In a bit, I'm going to put some pork on the grill - and I have a nice seedless watermelon for dessert.

Tomorrow we are going to a movie, out to eat supper, and then go miniature golfing (if there's no more rain).

17. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 4, 2008

I had really hoped I might go to my neighborhood's party -- they haven't had it in a few years. It was about 5 blocks away from here. But try as a might, I just couldn't make myself go. It is really awkward to go someplace totally by yourself, when you don't know a soul there. I know from past experiences (I went once about 15 years ago) that everyone will be there in couples, families, or small groups.

I thought about grilling something, but it really isn't any fun to grill by yourself. And it is a lot of work, just to end up with one little meal.

So now it is getting later. I still haven't eaten. I guess I'll go to the store and pick something up, because I'm really getting hungry -- but... all I really feel like doing is crawling into bed and waiting for tomorrow to come.

I just wish this day would be over.

18. Chef Dave

Chef Dave Companion

Jul 4, 2008

That was very sad.

I'm sorry you had such a miserable 4th. Like you, I am single. I also don't know very many people since I moved to a small rural school that has a low annual turnover. The people at this school have been working with one another for years. I've been so nose to grindstone, that I haven't really had time to get to know anyone.

Still ... I don't have a problem with grilling for myself. I just built a lovely pond in my backyard and I'm waiting for sunset to fire up my grill. I was thinking about having a steak but have decided to have honey and orange marinated shrimp instead.

It'll be nice to have a pleasant meal even if I don't have any company. Since I tend to be somewhat reclusive, I really don't mind being alone. When I'm alone, I don't have to make small talk. I don't have to dress up. Quite frankly I think conversation would disrupt the harmony I find from sitting by my pond and listening to the burbling flow of the waterfall.

19. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Jul 4, 2008

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RainStorm View Post
    So now it is getting later. I still haven't eaten. I guess I'll go to the store and pick something up, because I'm really getting hungry -- but... all I really feel like doing is crawling into bed and waiting for tomorrow to come.

I just wish this day would be over.
    That was very sad.

I'm sorry you had such a miserable 4th. Like you, I am single. I also don't know very many people since I moved to a small rural school that has a low annual turnover. The people at this school have been working with one another for years. I've been so nose to grindstone, that I haven't really had time to get to know anyone.

Still ... I don't have a problem with grilling for myself. I just built a lovely pond in my backyard and I'm waiting for sunset to fire up my grill. I was thinking about having a steak but have decided to have honey and orange marinated shrimp instead.

It'll be nice to have a pleasant meal even if I don't have any company. Since I tend to be somewhat reclusive, I really don't mind being alone. When I'm alone, I don't have to make small talk. I don't have to dress up. Quite frankly I think conversation would disrupt the harmony I find from sitting by my pond and listening to the burbling flow of the waterfall."

Guys, you are both making me feel sad, and I am also single (divorced)! When I was younger it bothered me if I did not go out for a holiday or a party or on the weekend, but now I find things to do, whether it be in the house or outside. I have cleaned the house, washed the clothes, walked the dog, and was going to the fireworks which have been rained out here for tonight at least. So, I may just run over to Barnes & Noble to check out the new books and have a good cup of cappuccino. Rainstorm, if you want to "chat" PM me - we have all been there at one time or another!

20. cwp873

cwp873 Comrade

Jul 4, 2008

My husband and son are out of town. I spent all day painting our family room, then watched two old Cary Grant movies (Topper and Mr Blandings Build His Dream House). Right now I'm listening to fireworks while the cat's under the bed and my big brave black lab cowers in the closet! I felt lonely today, too guys--you're not alone!