How are you addressed?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by miss karen, Aug 14, 2003.

1. miss karen

miss karen Comrade

Aug 14, 2003

Just a little curious.... where I taught for the past 5 years, we were allowed use our given names for the children to address us with, thus the name "Miss Karen". I work with very young children and even though I have tried to have them use my family name, they always have a hard time pronouncing it. About half of the staff uses their given name in their title. I was curious as to how most of you are addressed. I am moving to a new school this fall and know that they insist that our family name be used.... perhaps Mrs. S will do fine???

3. Tara19

Tara19 Companion

Aug 14, 2003

I would tell them that they can call me my last name but if you can't pronounce that, than Miss S. will be good. I think it really depends how young the kids are.

4. mommaruthie

mommaruthie Aficionado

Aug 14, 2003

titles are a must

I think its nice to be called Mrs. or Ms (last name) but i have also been at private schools that have much more smaller class size and the relationships with the parents may be different where I was called ruth. We had two teachers named maria and one was maria t or maria c

I call my students by their first name or if there is a duplicate like Robert- then one i would call rob and the other robert. Or i would call them robert r and robert p

Try getting RUTH from children who are only learning the 'th' as t-h and not 'f'
    or a kid who has no front teeth(6 yrs old)
    Even I cant say RUTH without it sounding like BRUCE or CHRIS.(thats what most people think i say so instead, i say ruthie. I HATE to be called ruthie but its the only way I can say it better.)

5. miss karen

miss karen Comrade

Aug 14, 2003

....you're a riot "Ruf"!!!! I see what you mean by the age and pronounciation thing... soooooooo cute though.

6. Brenda S.

Brenda S. Comrade

Aug 14, 2003

I used to work at a preschool. The parents thought my name was Bwenda. Go figure!

I teach in a small town. About 1/2 of my upcoming class was on the T-ball team I helped with. All of the kids called me Brenda. It will be difficult to switch, but they will have to.

7. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Aug 14, 2003

My first year I had a child who had a severe speech problem... I was Mi Hi all year. (Miss Hill) Now I am Mrs. Post, so I get Mrfs. Posft (Is that you spell the lisp sound???) or Mi Po. I don't like to go by my first name, but that's probably just a personal preference.

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 15, 2003

I usually do a lot of work during the summer working as a counselor at our church camp and camps with wildlife and fisheries. There I am Miss Christy. I would be happy to have the kids call me that at school but we have a strict policy against it. (And yet at the same time our principal and vice-principal encourage us to call them by their first name even in front of the kids:confused: ).
    At times my niece and or nephew have been at the camps and to them I am Sissy. It is hilarious when some of the kids from school are at camp at the same time as Clif and Britt because then at school I become Sissy. :D

Christy

9. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Aug 15, 2003

I personally like last names at all times as a sign of respect. In early childhood, the community often does not see your job asa a 'real' teacher job, and if the parents hear the kids calling you by your first name, that reinforces it, IMHO.

I worked at a daycare that would not use 'Ms.' in front of my name. The kids called me "Angela". I never got used to it. It did not contribute to a feeling that I was their 'friend', in any way that I was aware of. No one could explain any real reason for the policy other than that one. I thought it was disrespectful for a four-year-old to address me the same way their parents did. "Ms. Angela" would have been much better for me.

When I moved to public school and taught the same age group, I was instructed to have the kids call me by my last name. I saw that as just one more way that public school teachers get more respect than daycare teachers, in my experience.

10. Shawnmarie

Shawnmarie Rookie

Aug 15, 2003

It depends on where I am teaching. When I first started teaching in the elementary schools, I was called by my maiden name. Then when I taught preK, the kids couldn't pronouce my name, so I was Ms. G. Then I got married and they could say that name. When I switched schools, their policy was that the kids called teachers by their first names, and the school I taught at in the summer called me Mrs. D. The school I am at now uses first names. So I basically follow the policies of wherever I am working.

11. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 15, 2003

The preschoolers that I teach are between the ages of 2.5 and 6 and about half of the staff is called Miss (first name) and the other half is Mrs. (last name). It just seems to be personal preference, but mostly the older teachers use their last names and the younger teachers use their first names. Personally, I use Miss Stephanie. I'm 21 and have not taught anywhere else yet and it's just too weird to me when I'm addressed by my last name, although I know I will have to get used to that someday.

12. jerryfow

jerryfow Guest

Aug 16, 2003

In the UK at the school where I teach it is very straight forward. In lessons, Male teachers are caller SIR and female teachers called MISS. If a child wants to speak to a specific teacher then they use Mr... or Mrs.... etc.

I have a feeling my students have many other names for me!!!

13. Ramon546

Ramon546 Rookie

Aug 17, 2003

Either Mr. Valera or Mr. V.

-Ramon

14. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 17, 2003

When I worked at the daycare, I was Miss Emily (not that most of my toddlers could say it, so Amy, the lead teacher in the room, and I both answered to Mi-mi)... in my clinicals and student teaching placements, I was Miss Dunham, or Miss D. (if I was writing it on the board, I write Miss D.), but when I go in with my mom, I'm Miss Emily since otherwise it's FAR too confusing for her kids and us to keep straight... When I worked at camp and this summer for summer school I was just Emily (although one kid used Miss or Mr. for all of us, which was neat)...

hardest part was getting used to Miss D. and not turning around when they called on Emily, a student in the class...for a good 2 weeks, I ALWAYS turned around. :) I STILL feel like Ms. Dunham is my mom, not me! :)

15. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 17, 2003

Mrs. Berris.