How are the weight loss people doing?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ima Teacher, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 24, 2014

How are all of the weight-loss people progressing?

As of this morning I'm down 30 pounds. :D I had to buy a pair of black dress pants today. The ones I tried on this morning wouldn't even stay up, so I needed new ones. I bought a couple pairs of jeans recently, too. Most of my pants were too small :blush: so I'm just in them, not needing more . . . except for black.

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 24, 2014

Good for you!

Ever since I had some stomach bug (I think) on the last Sun of 2013, I've been eating healthier & less. I lost about 6-8 lbs, but I seem to now be at a standstill. I started back at the gym this wk & went 2x. The last 3 days, I've eaten more unhealthy foods. I plan to go to the gym tomorrow, so that's 3x this wk!

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 24, 2014

Awesome, Ima!

I'll have to admit that I'm struggling to get back on the wagon, but I'll get there.

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jan 24, 2014

Great job, Ima!

I've been at it since the Monday after New Year's and as of this Monday I have lost nine pounds...now I just need to keep at it! Last year I did really good for a few weeks and went back to old habits, but my fitbit helps me to better know what I'm burning and how much I should be losing after logging my food.

6. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 24, 2014

I just started a week or so ago, but I'm down two pounds, and I feel like I have more energy.

7. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 24, 2014

I started about 5 weeks ago and have lost 3-4 pounds (depending upon when I weigh myself). I am so sick of dieting,but I need to keep going. At this same rate, I will be at my target weight in 15 weeks. That's the beginning of May. Gosh that seems like a long time. I know I could lose faster if I ate less, but 12-1300 calories is all I can manage without feeling too hungry.

8. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 24, 2014

I have been eating healthy for almost 3 weeks. I only weigh myself on Saturdays but as of last week Saturday I am down 9 lbs. My naturopath took me off of nuts, dairy and wheat and I really don't miss it as much as I thought and my stomach feels so much better. What I do hate is eating protein twice in a day. I'm not a big fan of beans and wish that I could eat some almonds.

9. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jan 24, 2014

I'm down six pounds in three weeks! I've been working out six days a week, and while I hate 5 am workouts, I do like the results!

10. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jan 25, 2014

Everyone is losing more and faster than me. Would you all mind sharing your daily caloric intake. I might be eating too much? (I know my metabolism is not slow because I just had a blood test and I'm in the normal range.)

I need a little push and some inspiration!

11. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jan 25, 2014

Well, I haven't really started, not seriously anyway. :( My WW starter kit came Monday. I've had the worst sinus infection for the last week, and have felt like absolute crap. I think I'm on the mend, though. I'm planning a trip to the grocery store on Sunday to stock up on food.

Lots of you guys are doing amazing! :thumb:

12. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jan 25, 2014

Way to go IMA! You must feel so much lighter! Are you able to tell when you look at yourself in the mirror that you're smaller? Are people starting to notice?

I hope you've treated yourself to something nice. I've had the same hair color for almost two years. I've decided once I hit my first weight goal, i am going to the salon and getting either highlights or a new color. My next goal I'll probably buy myself s piece of splurge jewelry.

I have a list of several NSV (non scale victories) that help me feel motivated when the scale isn't budging as fast as I feel it should.

Like you, I've lost 30lbs (i started in November) and kept a pair of old jeans that I could barely even squeeze into and couldn't button in the back of my closet. Last night I put them on and they were so loose that even with a belt they were sagging in the seat and kept slipping down a few inches when I was out. NSV!

At work I have had at least 10 people ask me what I've been doing because I look so good and am trimming down (NSV!)

I bought my first ever pair of skinny jeans and when I take them off, they don't leave an imprint around my waist. NSV!

My personal favorite is my knees. I'm not yet 30 but was starting to have joint pain especially going up and down stairs. Last week I unloaded the car and carried all the groceries up e stairs (we live on the 3rd floor) in two trips. as i was putting things inne fridge i realized my knees hadn't twinged or hurt even once.

Anyhow keep up the great work and keep us posted!

13. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jan 25, 2014

Are you on Pintrest? It's been a Godsend for me. I still eat a lot of my favorite things, but I use Pintrest recipes as a means to make them healthier. for instance I love lasagna, but it's so high in calories with the pasta and all that cheese.

I found a recipe on pintrest that replaces lasagna noodles with zucchini and uses low fat cheese and fresh, diced tomatoes.

I've also been using cauliflower in lieu of potatoes. If you cook it right, you almost can't tell the difference in most dishes.

I don't follow a vegan, paleo, South Beach, weight watchers or any other particular diet, but i borrow recipes that are low i sugar/fats from them. I mainly find recipes on blogs. Favorites include: the world according to eggface, bunny food for my rabbit teeth, and skinny tastings.

Aside from that the only other major changes I've made are:

1. No more soda and coffee. (I was an addict and sometimes i still get cravings for the sugar rush. When that happens, i drink a little juice, or try to have some fruit)

2. I eat more protein rich foods. It keeps me full for some reason

3. Eating out is now a "treat" instead of a daily (often times twice daily) occurance. And when i DO eat out, i don't go wild. I also try to eat at places where food is made to order, like Chipotle or this vegan place i love, instead of McDonalds and Popeyes (my old staples).

4. I'm learning to recognize the difference between head hunger and actual hunger (when my granddad died i was so sad, so i found myself eating for comfort, not hunger and i gained 4lbs in 3 days).

5. Move more (i walk 30 mins a day most days)

6. Love and be nice to myself (i used to beat up on myself when i made mistakes or backslid into old habits. Then i would give up or tell myself "ok, i'll start again tomorrow" then pig out and start the cycle again. Now i'm like "Catz, you're human. You made a mistake. It's OK. Just pick yourself up and get back on the horse. Sitting here crying/beating yourself up about it isn't going to help. You can do this. I believe in you.")

7. I try to have a healthy snack every few hours between meals (we eat lunch very early at school, before Noon, and my husband doesn't get home until like 7pm, so i had like seven or eight hours between lunch and dinner and would end up ordering a value meal from McDonalds and eating it around 3pm, then going out and eating again around 7:30 with husband. Now i have snacks like a low fat string cheese, or chobani yogurt)

8. Cut back on sweets. I'm a "candy bar with a soda" kinda girl, so i've reduced my sugar intake a lot. I try to get my sugar from fresh fruit or i use those 0 calorie dasani flavor bottles to add sweetness to plain greek yogurt. When i just gotta have candy, i eat two sugar free wurthers. They are smaller thN the regular ones and less calories. I also like to eat the atkins bars (they are low in sugar, high in protein)

I probably should count calories but i don't like to/i always forget, so i can't really tell you how much i'm taking in. Probably about 1,000, somedays a little more or less.

14. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 25, 2014

Calories will be different for everyone. It depends on you weight, activity level, and how quickly you want to lose. I have mine set for 1. 5 pounds a week, so I have a calorie deficit of 750 pounds, meaning I eat that many less than I burn. So, days I'm less active I eat around 1400, but yesterday I was very active, so I had 1900 to eat. Today, I'm riding in a car and sitting at a funeral all day, so I'll need to be more careful.

15. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jan 25, 2014

My DH and I are eating healthier. I am down 2 pounds, and he is down 5. Not really sure of our calorie intake, but I figure it must be around 1500-1800 a day. I am trying to walk at least 30 minutes 3 times a week. My DH walks all day long at work. I may not have lost much on the scale, but I do feel like I have more energy. Like Catz said, I am trying to eat more protein and healthier snacks, like fruit because it makes me feel fuller. I slip now and them-like the two pieces of pizza I ate yesterday at lunch-but I do pay for it digestive-wise. I am hoping that not using the term "diet" will help me mentally. It seems that the minute I think I am "dieting", I crave sweets and breads.

16. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 25, 2014

I lose between 1-3 pounds a week keeping calories between 1200-1300. My endocrinologist set that for me. One day a week I don't restrict. It's usually Sunday since I'm eating at Mom's or a restaurant. Even then, I'm usually around 1500 or so.

If you don't eat enough calories, you can stall your weight loss.

I don't prohibit ANY foods, but I switched to whole grains and limit sugars because I'm also diabetic.

I am taking pictures to document my weight loss.

[​IMG]

Today I am going through my closet and taking out everything that is too big. :thumb:

17. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jan 25, 2014

LOOKING GOOD IMA!!!! WOW! I need to start taking pictures of myself each month. Instead I've been taking photos of my scale when I stand on it.

Hopefully I can find a couple full body shots of me from November and December

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 25, 2014

You guys are doing great! Does anyone have a Fitbit? When I go to my Fitbit account online it tells me how many calories I should be eating. I don't eat my exercise calories usually so that helps. I also try to keep carbs low because I know that even if I only eat 1200 calories I won't lose if my carbs are high.
    I have only lost 2.6 lbs since the beginning of the month but I'll take it!

19. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 25, 2014

I started to buy a FitBit, but I ended up buying new jeans instead.

20. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jan 25, 2014

Awesome.

21. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 25, 2014

I just bought a fitbit yesterday. I had points at Walgreens & they had the zip. I only spent $10 for it! I need something to motivate me, especially since I've been putting weight on, not taking it off.

I did lose a couple of pounds this week. Hoping, it's not because I didn't eat dinner last night. I just wasn't feeling good.

22. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Jan 25, 2014

I haven't lost a pound. I've actually gained a few. But, last week I started getting serious, and we shall see.

I want to add that my husband has lost 140 lbs since June. He had weight loss surgery. I was not a fan of the surgery at first, because he always had such a horrible relationship with food that I couldn't see how a surgery would help. But, it did. He tries to hard and uses the Insanity series to work out every single night.

We've had lots of issues in the past, but this weight loss has helped our relationship a lot. I think he felt useless and was just "acting out" due to his unhappiness with himself.

23. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 25, 2014

That's great for your husband . . . and you! It sounds like he's gotten the idea that the surgery isn't the answer, but a tool to help him change his lifestyle. That attitude will help him be successful.

I didn't realize how hard it was to lose weight until I had to do it. I was always on the high side of a normal weight range for my height, and I was happy there. When I gained weight, I didn't know what to do about it. Mine came on fast (100 pounds in 3 months) and I expected it to come off that fast. Whew . . . how wrong I was!

24. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 25, 2014

I think the key to losing weight happens in the kitchen. I've eliminated a lot of things from my diet due to stomach issues and can't wait to slowly add them back in to see what is the cause of my issues. I am trying to eat as clean as possible and the only thing I eat from cans are chick peas and lentils (yuck...but one of the only non-meat protein that I can eat). I cut out soda, coffee, fried foods, junk food etc...

I am planning on having cheat days though but I don't do weekly cheat days, I wait until I lose a predetermined amount of weight or I cheat during special occasions/parties... Everyone is different and I find it easier to not cheat weekly because I'm an all or nothing gal and little cheats a week turn into cheating 2 or 3 cheats a week.

I'm also looking at this as a lifestyle change. I hate cooking and can eat out everyday for dinner so I'm hoping to learn to "enjoy" cooking :lol:. I used to cook for the week every Sunday and I'm hoping to start doing this again. I also find a lot of recipes on Pinterest.

25. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Jan 25, 2014

I did that, too, after I lost my 30 pounds. I thought it'd be motivation for me. Nope. All it means is I only have two pants that fit. :blush:

You look awesome, BTW!

26. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 26, 2014

Two of my friends are also working on their weight. Both were always very tiny, and now I'm the smallest of the three. That feels weird. Their goal weights are 98 and 105, while mine is 150.

27. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 26, 2014

Let me know if you want to be Fitbit friends! I will PM you my email address.

28. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jan 26, 2014

Same here! I'm loving my FitBit! I have the Flex (I think) and it's really good at motivating me to move more.

29. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 26, 2014

I don't have too much weight to lose. I lost about 20 lbs last year and have put about 10 of that back on since about Nov. I've lost another 5 of that. My goal is to lose about 15 more lbs. Though I'm not seeing the results on the scale that I want to, I am seeing it in the way my body looks in the mirror and how my clothes are fitting.

Ima~you are amazing!!! Keep up the good work!

30. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Jan 26, 2014

Last week I didn't do so great at the gym. I only went Tuesday and Wednesday. Normally my goal is 3-4 days a week after school and attending Saturday morning.
    I try not to focus so much on calorie intake as I do on eating clean. I want my refrigerator to be full, and my cabinets no so much. My next goal is another size lost by the end of the year.
    Ima those are amazing results!

31. Harper

Harper Companion

Jan 27, 2014

I am not doing well. Have only lost about 5 pounds. But, I also know I am not trying that hard, have been sick on and off for over a month so I have not been exercising. This week is my restart week. I can exercise again, and will use that as motivation to eat well. My goal is 1.5 pounds this week! Good luck to everyone as we start a new week!