How are subs called in?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by deer park, Aug 8, 2008.

1. deer park

deer park Rookie

Aug 8, 2008

I will be a new sub in the washington dc metro area and would like to know how subs are called in. I have signed up for montgomery county, prince george's county, arlington, alexandria, loudon and fairfax counties. I would like to know are subs called in the same day like 6 in the morning or are they given some heads up like atleast 12 hours before the next day when subs are needed?

Does anyone have any stories from their sub experience at any one of the counties I listed? This information is much appreciated. Thanks to anyone that contributes.

3. tinitime

tinitime Rookie

Aug 8, 2008

I was a sub last year and 95% of the time you were called the morning of. This drove me crazy because I am a person who likes to plan but the effort paid off b/c I am now a member of a wonderful faculty. :)

4. NUMB3RSFAN

NUMB3RSFAN Rookie

Aug 8, 2008

I'm from Indiana, so I can't tell you about your local areas. However, If I hadn't been scheduled by a school in advance, I wouldn't be surprised to get a phone call either the night before or anywhere from 5am - 9am the day you're needed. It all depends upon when the secretary is notified about an absence!

My best advice is to always have your clothes ready to go the night before just in case! :)

5. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Aug 8, 2008

The area where I am located uses Aesop. This is a computerized system. The teachers (or schools) put the absences into the Aesop system. Then the substitute teachers log onto the website and can view the available sub jobs - and pick which ones to take or leave.

6. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Aug 9, 2008

7. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Aug 9, 2008

Deer Park,
    I used to live in Fairfax County and subbed as a para. I could get called at 5 am or I could get called in advance. It was 5 yrs ago so things may have changed. I only signed up for Fairfax County since it is a large county and has so many schools.
    good luck!

8. deer park

deer park Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

How many times a week did you sub? Thanks.

9. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Aug 10, 2008

I moved right after I signed up.
    and remember, it was for a parapro position so not many.
    My friend that subbed got called 3-4 times a week in Fairfax County. She worked in the Centreville cluster.

10. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 10, 2008

Around here the teachers have to call in by 5:30 in the morning of the day we are out. Then the sec. calls the subs. As teachers we have to have everything in the office forthe subs. They have a binder with everything that they will need. :)

11. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Aug 10, 2008

This is true for me and I hope it will lead to a me being in full time with a school!

12. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 10, 2008

It completely depends on the district. Where I subbed (in MI) we got called the morning of- usually about 5:30. We would call and beg to set up positions in advance and sometimes she would do it if she had time. Some of the larger districts in the metro Detroit area used one of the automated systems.

Where I teach now, I have to call the sub in. So, if I knew I was going to be out May 3, 2009, I can start calling today for a sub and have it set up. I HATE it. I dislike waking people up at the crack of dawn- especially while sick. I also hate that you do not know if someone already has a job scheduled for that day. It is a huge waste of my time to me. Some teachers love it though.

13. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Aug 12, 2008

The place you sub now does it the same way they do it in my area.

14. MonsieurMetal

MonsieurMetal Rookie

Aug 15, 2008

Up here in Canadia (well, at least my chunk of it), when you start off subbing you'll mostly get calls the day of.

As you make contacts, you'll find you start getting the advance notice, because either teachers/principals will ask for you by name, or the receptionist who books the subs will get to know that you're friendly, effective and reliable (if, of course, you ARE friendly, effective and reliable), so she will think of you first.

My best friend's mom is in charge of booking subs for her school (different city, sadly, as that would be a great 'in'), and she says she has a small elite pool of subs that she knows are awesome and who thus ALWAYS get called first. Likewise, she has her 4th-liners who only get called out when a warm body will do, because that's all they provide.

15. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Aug 16, 2008

Thats how my area does it too but the teachers also if able call their own subs unless its a meeting then the office might call for them. They always have me as one of the top subs to call (not to brag). Also , since special ed is the hardest to fill and they know I am not just a warm body in there they keep as one of only a handful that truly love special ed. Special ed hates warm bodies more than any other area due to the fact that they actually need that helping hand: Bathroom duty changing dipers, feeding kids who can't feed thereselves, pushing wheelchairs, one on one work you have to physically sit by them and some/most hand over hand for them. Not a lot of subs want to do that. They want to sit back and watch them do their work and you can't watch a special child do their work since they can't really work and with lots of help they still can't.