How are our East Coasters handling Irene?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Geauxtee, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Aug 26, 2011

There is already post with title sorry!!:sorry:

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2011

New Yorkers are getting ready.

Three of my 4 siblings are under a mandatory evacuation order. Mom is also evacuating to my other sister's house.

We were in Target today for paper plates. (I figure that if we lose water, I don't want to waste our resources washing dishes.) There was not a battery or flashlight to be found. Water was flying off the shelves. There was still some bread, though I imagine it's gone by now. People are gassing us their cars. One of my neighbors said the local gas stations are all sold out of gasoline.

Parts of NYC are under a mandatory evacuation, for the first time EVER.

The Red Cross asked my school if we would set up cots in the gym. We're pretty close to the local community college,and it's being used as an evac center.

The surf at the beach today was great, though there wasn't a whole lot of beach-- and this 4 hours before high tide.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 26, 2011

The hurricane is coming on top of a full moon, so tides will already be high.:eek:

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 27, 2011

Thinking of all of you!!!! STAY SAFE!!!!

6. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 27, 2011

We evacuated. :D However, I'm worried about what I'll come home to tomorrow. Tornadoes hit some neighborhoods near where I live already. (My neighborhood is fine, fortunately.) Thankfully, no one was killed since that area was under a mandatory evacuation.

My silly husband wants a home on the beach... hopefully this storm will convince him otherwise. :p

7. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2011

I fully charged all of my electronics, lol. The Kindle, the girls' nooks, my phone, our laptops, the girls' iPods are all set to go. We got an extra case of water (already had 2 cases) and loaded up on paper plates and plastic cups. We made sure we had food that is easily eaten without cooking - I sent DH to the store for some of that stuff, the things I couldn't get at Sam's Club, and he came home with FOUR PACKS OF PUDDING. So, I guess we'll be all set for pudding, lol! We also have tuna, peanut butter, bagels, bread, lots of fruit and fresh veggies, applesauce, raisins, etc....I also gathered all of our candles and flashlights into one central location. We cleared off our deck, and cleared out the garage enough to fit the cars into it.

So, we're as ready as we're going to be.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2011

We spent much of today baking.

We have brownies, gingerbread, and a loaf of freshly baked bread.

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 27, 2011

Good luck to you guys. Baking and charging electronics are two great things to do.

the worst for me after hurricane Katrina was that I was without power for 8 days. In over 90 degree temps, I thought I'd have a heart attack. Couldn't even go in the pool because it was full of debris. Warm drinks were not refreshing at all. Restaurants weren't open and we started getting desperate for 'real' food. Finally found one running on a generator - with air conditioning!

After that, I bought a little stove that heats with sterno cans. Make sure you have a manual can opener. It's too late now, but a battery operated fan is a good thing. So is a little book light. It gets boring in the dark.

It's better if your refrigerator and freezer are full. They will stay cool longer without power. Of course, fill anything you can with water and freeze.

10. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Aug 27, 2011

Thank you for the positive wishes and thoughts. I'm at my boyfriends apartment hunkered down for the storm. So far, we still have power (it's about 8 p.m.) The winds aren't too bad yet, but they have said the worst of it is supposed to hit us at 2 a.m.

In addition to canned goods, we have some freeze dried food I got from wal mart and we both charged up our kindles and are keeping our laptops and cell phones on the charger so we can watch dvd's and hopefully calll/text out if needed.

I confess, I am a little scared because he lives on the top floor of his building and there are A LOT of trees. We've mainly been watching the news all day. We'll stop here and there to play a game or watch netflix, but mostly news. right now he's in the other room glued to Fox

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 27, 2011

Even when the news people keep saying the same thing over and over, it's impossible to look away. I remember another hurricane when the tv was out and we had our battery operated radio and in the middle of the night, their broadcast abruptly went out. We felt so alone! Are your cars outside or in a garage?

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2011

Obama just declared NJ A disaster area...that opens up potential for fed relief after storm if needed.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2011

In the driveway-- everything else we own in in the garage! (5 bikes, 6 pation chairs, 8 stacking chairs, the snowblower, the lawn mower, the glass topped table, 4 garbage cans, the recycling bin, the pool stuff... you name it!!!!) My car is parked totally between our house and our neighbor's; Peter's 13 year old car is sticking out past the front of my house, about 12 feet up from the end of the driveway.

14. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2011

Alice - move Peter's car so that the side is right up against the garage door. It'll help to brace the door during the storm. We did this during Frances & Jeanne (when there were three cars here)

"Protect the garage. In the south, modern homes are built to hurricane codes, with structures and even garage doors engineered to withstand harsh storms. That is not the case for much of the region about to be introduced to Irene. Consider parking your car outside, tight against the garage door—sideways—to block high-speed winds and hopefully preserve the door’s integrity. Should true hurricane-force winds break through the garage door, the storm can do serious structural damage. With an attached garage, that damage can quickly translate to the house."

15. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Aug 27, 2011

Well, I hope everyone is staying safe. I was in Houston for Hurricane Ike. We went two weeks without electricity! It was intense. I felt very old fashion because I read by candlelight every night without a/c.

I think hurricanes are to the Northeast as what snow is to the South. If we get so much as a dusting or a hard freeze the whole city shuts down.

16. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2011

Thinking of you all this morning.

17. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 28, 2011

Well, so far we are getting very heavy rain but not as windy as I expected. That could change at any minute. I see an abandoned car at the bottom of the hill on my street. Maybe he coudlnt' make it up? Hope everyone is doing ok!

18. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2011

Well, Irene has passed through. We never lost power, but more than 800,000 in my region did, and more than half of those numbers are reflected in my county alone. There are many trees down nearby - but again, none on my property, and none blocking my roads. I think I came out of it VERY lucky.

19. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 28, 2011

Our issue after Katrina, Rita, and Gustav was gas. Especially Gustav. The town had no power - can't pump gas without electricity. What I have always loved, though, is the community spirit storms like this bring out. Everyone helping their neighbors and strangers on the street. I hope all of you are safe today. I know many down here have wondered at the reaction to a "smaller" storm, but I also know that people and buildings down here are just more prepared. Stay safe, stay dry, try to stay cool, and take care of yourselves!

20. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Aug 28, 2011

I'm happy to report that all is well here!! We came home today to lots of downed small trees, branches, and leaves in our neighborhood. My car is fine (covered with leaves and dirt, though), and our apartment is perfect. The best part of all is that we have power!!!! :D It definitely went out at some point, but it couldn't have been for very long since we had dough balls in our freezer that didn't look like they expanded. (Oddly enough, there were homes right on the ocean front that never lost power!)

I hope everyone else in Irene's path is doing well!!

21. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Aug 29, 2011

I haven't been able to get in touch with my grandma that lives in New Bern, NC. I found a picture online of a guy walking down her street carrying his dog with water past his knees. I know she will get water in the house when there is a bad noreaster. I am quite sure she doesn't have power since there are 17,000 people in Craven County without power. I told her when we got the cordless phones that they would not work without power. She has a corded phone in the back bedroom, but probably doesn't hear it.

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2011

I read that 38% of both Nassau and Suffolk counties were without power last night. We were in that batch; power came on about half an hour ago.

All my siblings got through. I think my sister has some flooding, but she and her family are OK. (She has no power, and somehow I can't find her cell phone number. But mom spoke to her.)

23. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Aug 29, 2011

We lost power for about a dozen hours yesterday but it's back on. A little water in the basement but nothing too terrible. Some of my neighbors got flooded much worse. I feel terrible for people who had major damage (and even worse for those that suffered personal injury). The biggest issue here now is travel. Many roads are flooded and closed down.

24. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2011

Yay! Alice!

Glad everything is ok. We were pretending not to be worried.

25. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 31, 2011

The footage I have seen on the news looks pretty bad. I am glad everything seems to be OK with you guys.

26. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Aug 31, 2011

99% of my town is still without power. We still have a transformer leaking oil in our backyard that hasn't been looked at yet except by the fire dept. on Sunday afternoon. My son and I are with my parents and I miss my husband because he had to stay home to work. They're not anticipating we'll be back up until early next week but I'm hoping it will be on this weekend.