How are New teachers teaching 9/11?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by nyteacher29, Aug 7, 2012.

1. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Aug 7, 2012

Hi all, I am going to be a new middle school teacher come September and I am trying to figure out the best approach in teaching 9/11 to students who were basically just born. I only have a day on 9/11.

I was wondering how everyone was going to address it (or if they are)? I have one friend who is telling me I should steer clear of the topic since it is not mandated in my curriculum, but I cannot bring myself to not teach about it! especially since I am a history teacher! Any advice would be great!

Thank you!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2012

4. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Aug 7, 2012

I am worried that picture books may be too young for middle schoolers (7th to be exact).

But thank you for your suggestions! I definitely want to do something with reading and writing.

5. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2012

I think there would besome great slideshows or PowerPoints suitable for your seventh graders...I'd hit up Google. :)

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2012

I used picture books with my Grade 7 and 8 students all the time last year (at least once/week).

Last year, I did a unit on "Heroes" and tied in 9/11. We looked at some of the "most powerful" images of the day, read personal accounts, wrote about "everyday" heroism. Some of the books I used: We all Fall Down, a novel by Eric Walters, 14 Cows for America, a picture book, and the picture book that czacza linked to.

7. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Aug 7, 2012

Mrs.C, did the picture books go over well with the students? Did any of the students express that they felt it was too "babyish?" I think picture books can teach a lot, however, I have never taught 7th grade (only hs).

8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2012

In 4 years of teaching grade 7 and 8, I never had one student complain about picture books being babyish. I also do a picture book unit (or two if there's time) during the year.

9. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2012

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2012

I have that book as well.

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2012

Since you're in NY:

Speak to others in your school and determine what's been done in the past.

Some of those kids might have lost a parent or other relative on that day.

The school has dealt with it before, I would ask before deciding. It's even possible that there's some sort of assembly planned, depending on just where you are.

I would ask before doing too much planning.

12. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Aug 24, 2012

iteachbx...thank you! I will definitely be looking into that and add it to my classroom library!

Thanx for the suggestion Alice, but I did that already. The AP said that it was up to me to decide because the teachers did not really devote time to it and that I could have a day if I tied it into the curriculum map. (I asked her bc one of my friends who teaches at another school has to teach a whole unit on it).

So I am thinking this, since my students would have been too young to remember, I am going to go over how we handled it as a culture (we are starting the year off with culture studies of the Americas). They will review a short article on the aftermath of how the country came together and then read a poem that was written by a NYC class in which it describes the difference of the 9/10 days and 9/11 days. I am also thinking about the students explaining how they can honor the ones that have lost their lives or loved ones by devoting time to do a good deed, since Obama has declared it a day of National Service. The deed could be simply saying hello to someone or holding the door for someone. There is a website http://www.911day.org/tools-and-resources/ if anyone is looking for more resources.

I just dont see how I could let that day go by without reflecting it somehow. It is going to be weird teaching a moment that I remember better than anything in my life to people who dont.

13. Ross

Ross Comrade

Aug 24, 2012

I ask the students if they have any family members, friends of the family, or neighbors that were involved in the events of September 11, 2001.

Until recently several students could answer in the affirmative. It is getting to the point now where the students were just born or very young so they have no recollection.

I encourage them to ask their parents the same question. In this way they can get the family involved in the discussion.