How are grades determined in a severe needs classroom?

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by TIRCO, Sep 27, 2016.

1. TIRCO

TIRCO Rookie

Sep 27, 2016

I would love to hear how people do it. We don't do typical assignments or tests so I don't know what to base my grades on. The previous teacher gave them all As but I don't know what she based it off of.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 28, 2016

Here, evaluation would be based on progress toward IEP goals.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 28, 2016

We don't give our students grades. The only work that is calculated is their IEP goals (such as if they reached 80% accuracy on a goal then they "passed"). What's the benefit of grading them if there are no tests?

SpecialPreskoo likes this.
  5. TIRCO

TIRCO Rookie

Oct 3, 2016

We do evaluate them based on progress towards IEP goals but we are also responsible for putting a letter grade in the system for each student. Is no one else required to do that?

6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Oct 3, 2016

I was required to do this last year. I just gave them A's, unless a classroom teacher complained that it was unfair, in which case I gave them C's. It was based on next to nothing. I thought it was a ridiculous requirement. Since there was no guidance whatsoever, I just did whatever I wanted to do.

ecteach likes this.
  7. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Oct 4, 2016

I've usually seen a different scale used specifically for MH classrooms, something like A for All goals met, M for Most goals met, etc.

Backroads likes this.
  8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 4, 2016

Nope. Doesn't make any sense to just assign a grade if it doesn't represent anything. Do you mean like a letter grade for math or science or other subjects?

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 5, 2016

This is how ours are done in my district as well.

10. TIRCO

TIRCO Rookie

Oct 11, 2016

This sounds like what I'm dealing with. So frustrating! And in order to give them a letter grade, there have to be assignments entered in with scores. Grrr!! It's just not how my classroom works and I don't think it's fair to have to put a letter grade in when we are looking at completely different work and goals.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 12, 2016

People NOT in SP ED do not understand so they want us to do ridiculous things sometimes. It adds to our workload and does nothing to benefit the students.

12. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Oct 21, 2016

I've never given grades in a severe needs class. That's ludicrous.

13. Oct 24, 2016

I am going to do as I do in my one resource class (I am homebound S/P and one high school resource). Mine is based on willingness to participate and attention given to the activity. basically 5 to 10 on a ten point scale. Total refusal to participate earns you a 5, great work based on your skills and personal level, a 10. Average these and fit them into the grading scale. Rarely straight As, sort of like real life....that's what I do. I've been working with disabilities since 1977, classroom since 1991, Home bound about three weeks. Yes, flexibility is the key. (if you don't like your situation, wait a minute)

14. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Oct 24, 2016

I do not teach special education, so my advice may not be applicable at all. Could you enter their progress toward their goals as their grade? For example, if they made a 70 on goal one, then enter the assignment worded from the goal, then enter a 70?

15. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Oct 28, 2016

I made a work rubric for each period that was graded weekly. Did they complete their work? Did they follow directions? Did they "ask for help"? Did they use time wisely? And a space to write what we worked on. It was a simple yes/no. Total Yes responses divided by total criteria per week equals a percent grade. My paras helped me fill it out each period and it became part of our routine.