How are budget cuts affecting YOU?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Caesar753, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 18, 2009

Many of us are in districts/states which are experiencing huge budget woes. How are those problems going to affect you this school year? I mean you, specifically--not just your building or the district or whatever.

3. Raye

Raye Rookie

Aug 18, 2009

I finished student teaching in May, but Hawaii is facing some major setbacks financially. Despite having my teaching license and passing all of the Praxis exams to become "highly qualified," I still can't find a teaching job in both state and private facilities. Since I could not work during my student teaching, I have technically been unemployed for almost nine months now. I tried applying at substitute agencies but have not received any responses from them. I even tried going back to my old job that I hated and was the reason why I decided to go back to grad school and begin a career in teaching but they don't want me either. I'm not financially struggling because I accumulated a good amount of savings since I started working in high school, but this is just downright ridiculous.

4. TeachinHicks

TeachinHicks Comrade

Aug 18, 2009

At my school, we did NOT receive raises this year. Other than that we're not nearly as bad off as many of the public school teachers I'm friends with.

5. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Aug 18, 2009

We got our raises, but we lost a lot of aides for ESOL and SPED. I believe there is now only one for each for the entire school. I'm going to have a lot less support for my neediest students in math, science, and social studies.

6. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2009

We are taking a 1-1/2% pay cut, and we don't have to do any PD hours this year, which I think is a negative. My period one will have 42 students, and my other CP classes will be at least 38. The CA Ass'n of Teachers of English conference is in SoCal this year, but if I want to go I will have to take a personal day and pay my own way - at least I'll be able to commute to it instead of staying in the conference hotel.

BTW, hi, Cassie! Haven't seen you in a while.

7. carlea

carlea Comrade

Aug 18, 2009

I wouldn't have had a job if my principal hadn't fought to keep me. It was very stressful - I didn't find out for sure until the beginning of August. Even now, changes are still being made. I have a basic idea of what I'll be teaching, but don't know exactly what. I should find out this week. Luckily school doesn't start until the 31st.

8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 18, 2009

Well, there is no instructional or technology funds. Thank goodness for our inclusion preschool program. My typical peer students pay $50/week. So THAT will help out in my room. We are still waiting on the stimulus money that the system is supposed to be getting so we can get the new preschool curriculum.

9. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2009

-No summer school so no work for 3 months.
    -Lost all my leadership and "teacher on special assignment" hours so that is a 20% pay cut.
    -Contracts were only renewed thru December!
    -District swept the money we had saved and no supplies have been ordered yet and no word as to if there will be a supply budget.
    -Director quit/retired and won't be replaced and another principal won't be replaced so 3 principals will cover 5 jobs without the help of the leadership teachers.
    -Copy machine returned at end of lease.
    -Secretary transferred so reduced support.
    -Coordinator of our program transferred and not replaced.
    -No inservice or paid meetings this year.
    -This is just what I know about - will find out more next week but all the stuff with the administrators just happened so confusion reigns!

10. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 18, 2009

Larger class size
    Pay freeze and possible a cut
    Next to no copies
    No printer ink (toner for my classroom printer is $70 and we are supposed to ask parents to donate a few! :eek: )
    Less support staff
    90% technology cut which means I no longer have access to several programs I used to use.

11. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2009

No raises, no cost of living increases, no steps this year.
    3 furlough days.
    lost two teachers, so class sizes are hovering around 30 in many grades.
    Kim

12. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Aug 18, 2009

less hours for aides, we lost 5 1/2 days of professional development (no back to school night too)
    steps were funded so I got a raise but lost $1500 when they took out the 5 1/2 days of no development. We have 2 days where the kids don't go to school but we do

13. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Aug 18, 2009

Some MI legislatures want to eliminate all funding for early childhood programs. If that happens, there goes my job and I will be laid off :(. Budget does not have to be signed until October 1st.

14. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2009

That is unreal EDUK8 ME! No state preschool at all? That would cause a huge domino effect for families who rely on it and can't afford private preschool. Good luck and let us know what happens. We don't know what happens to us in January so I went back to school and started looking for other jobs. I hate this!

15. forkids

forkids Cohort

Aug 19, 2009

I have 3 furlough days. We are taking two during pre-planning and one on our scheduled work day in October. We hear there will be more after January. Most of us will be working during the furlough days - how can you get ready for the school year in only two days when the first day will be partly taken up with staff meetings and the second day will be parent orientation. I'm going to try not to work the day in October, but we'll see how far behind I am by then.
    The other major change is that instead of starting back to school the first week of August, we are starting the first week of September. We will be adding an hour to the school day to make up the time. They are doing this to save money on air conditioning/utilities/school bus expenses.

16. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 19, 2009

My principal resigned rather then give us pay cuts. He was just going to freeze pay. New admin came in, added a layer of admin & did the pay cuts. Lost my job as a result. (guess I had too many students getting additional support). Haven't found a job yet.

17. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Aug 19, 2009

I really feel for everyone being affected by changes in budget, particularily those who are or could be without work. I will have to wait until next year to see how changes in budget affect me - because the provincial government is now going to set the mill rate (the tax rate paid to education) instead of the individual school boards. I currently live in a HAVE school division (I am waiting for 2400$ in text books and teachers guides to show up that my principal bought for me at the end of the year because I wanted them) so we basically get whatever we want. We can photocopy as much as we want, and if I want something, I just ask for it and the school pays for it.

That may change if our mill rate changes and our budget changes. We are also entering the last year of our current contract - we got 12% over 3 years last time I believe (I can't remember it was 2 years ago) so this may impact the type of raise that we are given in our new contract next fall OR it may impact the number of EA's we have. Our school currently has 10 full time EA's and that's where I can see us losing salary. As it is, some schools are already "trading" EA's for teachers. They can get rid of two EA's and hire another teacher instead.

So there are all kinds of things that could happen, but for the moment, we still have plenty of money.

18. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2009

In Austin ISD, the new superintendent is peddling cutting art, music, and PE from the elementary level and increasing teacher workload at the secondary level in order to fix the district's budget.

:eek:

19. mdith4him

mdith4him Companion

Aug 19, 2009

Wow, I thought I was going to be roughin' it this year. Some of you guys are really stretched thin it seems. Best of luck this year, friends :unsure:

We won't have a pay raise this year (although no cuts, which is nice). The PE teacher for K-2 (I teach 1st) quit last year (moving cross country) and they're not rehiring a new one. We have PE three times a week (MWF), so I loose that planning period time. I either have to take the kids out for an extra recess or do some sort of informal PE time with them myself. They let our lunch room coordinator and recess supervisor go (they were awesome, too...we're so sad!) so now it'll be extra duties for us teachers to take over. They've cut back on a couple of the freebies we used to get, but nothing too dramatic. They're really trying hard to cut as little as possible, but our enrollment is down (private school) so there's not much they can do.

20. Mom2two

Mom2two Companion

Aug 19, 2009

Wow, I can't believe how hard it is in some areas! We're very fortunate in our district. They have hired 18 new teaching staff for this year, and have added SMART boards to all classrooms in the entire district, they have also begun phase 1 of a large remodeling project. We are actually sitting pretty good....I hope that continues, at least until I'm tenured!

21. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Aug 19, 2009

Our pay was frozen this year. We were no longer able to keep the part-time upper grade teacher (there were 3 full-time and 1 part-time for grades 6-8--one for each subject). 5th grade became part of the departmentalized upper grades so now there are just 4 full-time teachers. I got moved to 3rd grade.

Limited copies--all of our newsletters, calendars, etc. have to be posted on the school website and only sent home to those without internet access. We use the overhead, have students copy, anything to save on copies wherever possible.

Very small supply order, no classroom budget from the parent organization (paid for by MarketDay--those funds have all but dried up).

We actually have an additional aide and more hours for them, but they are being paid for by two different stimulus programs (one reading, one communication). They are only available to do pull-outs with individuals or small groups, and can't cover recess or lunch duty. So, more duties for teachers.

No one at our school has a planning period this year. Still, after reading these, I am realizing how blessed we are here!

22. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2009

We'll probably have slightly larger classes. But ours were between 30 and 40 last year, so it's not like they'll go a whole lot larger; there are only 42 desks per class and not many more can fit in.

But it WILL effect my kids. From what I understand 2 first grades will become one this year, and a lot of the teachers have gotten new preps. (4th will stay 2 classes, and I'm not sure what to expect from middle school, as Brian is just starting there.)

Kira had a lovely, but brand new and tentative, teacher in Kindergarten. (She started off as a LTS, then the teacher extended her maternity leave for the whole year.) So, in spite of all the work we've done all the summer, she really does need a STRONG teacher in 1st grade, and I would have preferred the smaller class she had last year, with the teacher who taught her brother and sister (but who is now teaching 5th grade.)

Here's hoping a whole lot of 6 year olds move into the district in the next week and they're back to 2 classes.

23. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Aug 19, 2009

Our salaries were frozen last year and there will be cuts in salaries across the board this year. They are also talking about 3-5 furlough days.