How ahead are you in planning?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peregrin5, Jan 16, 2017.

1. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Jan 17, 2017

I have a Pace Chart with lessons and assessments planned out, and I mostly have lessons from last year to pull from, so most of my planning involves making sure we are on pace and re-evaluating lessons and activities to see what I can add or refine.

Backroads and Peregrin5 like this.
  2. Bioguru

Bioguru Companion

Jan 17, 2017

This is my 7th year to teach the same subjects. Like most others have said, I already have a very detailed map of where I'm heading every year. Throughout each week I'll monitor where we're at and adjust to spend more/less time on a topic; I tend to stay about 1-2 weeks ahead when it comes to specific daily lesson plans.

Tulipteacher likes this.
  3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 17, 2017

Yeah, I have general plans for the entire year. But I need to tweak them week to week. Sometimes day to day. Depending on my students at the time.

4. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

Jan 19, 2017

LOL, I am a COMPULSIVE planner. This school year was planned out before I finished LAST SCHOOL YEAR. I'm working on revamping my planning (switching around, changing resources, etc.) for NEXT year now. I have 8 binders, 4 for ELA and 4 for Social Studies (1 binder per 9 weeks per subject). I have dividers sectioning off the weeks with each section filled with the interactive notebook resources, notes, activities, etc. that I plan on doing that week of the 9 weeks.

Of course, I tweak and rearrange as needed during the year, depending upon student needs, time constraints, etc., but I would go absolutely BONKERS if I didn't have stuff planned out to a T.

Backroads and Peregrin5 like this.
  5. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Jan 19, 2017

At the beginning of the year, we created a generic curriculum map that guides our year. At any given time, I can tell you exactly where we're going with any given subject over the course of the next week or two. That being said, I truly "plan" plan a week out, day-by-day, or a few days at a time, depending on the subject and where we're at in that subject's arc. For example, math tends to be more straightforward and blocked out, so that's usually "plan" planned a good week out (and really, I have ActivBoard presentations for literally every lesson that tends to follow along with my daily plan). For each writing unit, the beginning is much more set/structured, so I can plan that out multiple days ahead. The second go-around with a type of writing, and the editing/revising days tend to be planned the day before or a couple days out, as I'm looking for specific areas of struggle and focusing mini-lessons and whole-group instruction on those areas. For this last time, I ended up deciding on doing mini-lessons on the conclusion, adding detail, avoiding run-ons, and one other thing that I'm blanking on right now. Next year it might be wildly different.

Again though, I can look at any of my subjects and speak to what's to come. It's just the nitty gritty details that get ironed out in the approach to each lesson.

6. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 20, 2017

This is so me too! Other teachers think I'm crazy that I plan months ahead let alone sometimes years ahead. I also have a crazy binder system laid out unit by unit. I'm very proud of my Biology binder. I just need to be planned and know exactly what I'm doing (or could be doing with a few tweaks or changes) otherwise I am just ten times more stressed than I usually am.

AdamnJakesMommy likes this.
  7. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Jan 20, 2017

I'm not a binder person, although I tried lol...I have a system of file folders with a drawer for each class (actually two for WL), a hanging file for each unit, and subfolders for different types of activities. It is so gratifying to open up that drawer and know that everything I need is in there!

And then there's my Google Drive, with every lesson plan, activity, and presentation I have ever made, all categorized in folders by class and unit...I love my Google Drive! I almost cried tears of happiness when I opened it for the first time this year and saw all my plans from last year all organized by date and subject.

8. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jan 20, 2017

We are kindred spirits. I learned how to make binders and files work for me, and I can use them just fine.

But, oh, what Google Drive has done for my planning and organization!

AdamnJakesMommy and ms.irene like this.
  9. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Jan 20, 2017

Everything is in Google Drive for me as well. I use a combination of Google Drive, and a Google Calendar add-on that lets me add Google Drive files to Google Calendar events to plan most of my lessons. I create an event for each day, write a general progression of activities and attach each file we would use that day. It's accessible on my website too so if students are absent they can just find all of the files for the day they were gone and print them or follow the presentations/videos. Making a change to plans is just me dragging the calendar event block to a different day or editing a few lines of text in the event descriptions.

Everything in my Biology binder are various activities, lessons, and notes that I've just printed from Google Drive and I placed them in my binder in the order that I would copy them and give them to students as hand-outs. We use an organized binder system in my class, so each page is numbered using that system and students have to put it into their binders in the same order.

Has done wonders for students who lose papers often and time lost asking students to find x page and them digging through their backpacks forever.

I think my (figurative) OCD is linked to my need to plan very far ahead...

AdamnJakesMommy likes this.