how about evaluating my cover letter?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MsTeckel, May 27, 2012.

1. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

May 27, 2012

______ ___, 2012
    Dear _________:
    I would love the opportunity to interview for an _____________ position that was listed on the ___________. With my experience and LBS 1, I am extremely interested in a teaching position with the ___________.
    I currently teach at the non private day school. I have spent the past 4 years teaching children with autism and related disorders. I also have 9 years experience working with children with disabilities in a variety of other settings. My experience has allowed me to grow into an observant and flexible teacher who is dedicated to teaching her students how to function and achieve their own goals within society. I am proficient with Boardmaker and other means of making my lessons visual. I thrive on using them in my classroom as visual schedules, or visual aids. I have had training with using the Picture Exchange Communication System as well as some speech-generated devices. I am a master planner and organizer, and I can readily adapt my plans to accommodate a variety of educational backgrounds. My experience has allowed me to increase my knowledge and the practice of behavior modification and classroom management. I have been taught to manage a classroom by focusing on the positives and ignoring the negatives. I tell the students what they need to be doing; such has keeping their hands to themselves instead of stop hitting, or no hitting.

I hold a Masters degree from the University in Special Education as well as a Bachelors degree in Psychology from Illinois University . I hold an Illinois Type 10 LBS 1 Standard certificate.

I am excited about the possibility of a personal interview to further discuss my qualifications with you. I can be reached at phone number or email. Enclosed are the district application, my resume, teaching certificate, and two letters of reference. Thank you for taking the time to review my credentials and to consider me for employment with your district.

Best Regards,

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

May 27, 2012

I was told:

Dear _______,
    To Whom it May Concern:

I don't see the need to say where the job was listed, they know where they put it.

Your second paragraph should be split because it seems like two different topics.

I can readily adapt my plans to accommodate a variety of educational backgrounds. How?

I have been taught to manage a classroom by focusing on the positives and ignoring the negatives. I wouldn't want someone to teach me to do that. I'm pretty sure any Principal would agree with me

I tell the students what they need to be doing; such has keeping their hands to themselves instead of stop hitting, or no hitting. What if they say no?

hold a Masters degree from the University in Special Education as well as a Bachelors degree in Psychology from Illinois University . I hold an Illinois Type 10 LBS 1 Standard certificate.
    Should be at the top.

4. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

May 27, 2012

I have been taught to manage a classroom by focusing on the positives and ignoring the negatives. I wouldn't want someone to teach me to do that.

I tell the students what they need to be doing; such has keeping their hands to themselves instead of stop hitting, or no hitting. What if they say no?

This has to do with my current place of employment. We are not allowed to say no, don't, or stop. We instead tell the kids what they need to be doing...such as keep your hands to yourself, following directions, keep your feet on the floor and so on

I guess what I was trying to say was that I was "reprogrammed" into not being so stuck on saying, no don't do this, don't do that.

5. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

May 27, 2012

maybe I can put in there something bout the Premack principles and using ABA methods

6. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

May 27, 2012

I'm just saying, I don't think you will be picked out of a pile of resumes with that sentence in there. It just doesn't sound right. Conceptually or as a real management technique. Hopefully a principal will chime in.

7. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

May 27, 2012

I didn't like that sentences really anyway...I kinda reworded

I am proficient with Boardmaker and other means of making my lessons visual. I thrive on using them in my classroom as visual schedules, or visual aids. I have had training with using the Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS) as well as some speech-generated devices. I am a master planner and organizer, and I can readily adapt my plans to accommodate a variety of educational backgrounds. My experience in using the principles of applied behavior analysis has allowed me to increase my knowledge and the practice of behavior modification and classroom management.

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions!

8. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

May 28, 2012

I have been here too long on this board LOL. . .

I would show them how -- tell them how-- not the best on mechanics of writing here

For example;

I am proficient in boardmaker I used it to create multiple pages of a morning folder. From this creation my students learned money, calendar skills and to sequence their name. They mastered skills in a matter of months that they have been working on for years.
    In addition my current position I was able use my expertise and knowledge of assistive technology to assist my students in learning to communicate. tell them how.

9. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

May 28, 2012

I like it :thumb:

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 28, 2012

The function of a cover letter is not to recite information that's spelled out in the resume, etc.: it's to interest a prospective employer enough to want to look at the resume, etc. A mere recitation of buzzwords isn't very attractive, but something that gives a sense of the person behind the letter often works much better.

MsTeckel, have you got any anecdotes about a breakthrough with a particular student?