How a caterpillar changes into a butterfly

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by educatingme, Apr 26, 2007.

1. educatingme

educatingme Companion

Apr 26, 2007

We're doing a simple bug/insect theme in Kindergarten and the kids are very interested in how a caterpillar changes into a butterfly. They know a caterpillar goes into a cocoon (aka a "raccoon" and a "kokomo"), but they want to know exactly what happens in there. I've been searching for some kind of interesting video for them for a half hour and can't find anything. Does anyone know where I might find something that will "show" them (rather than our telling them) how it happens?

3. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Apr 26, 2007

How about getting the "real thing" instead of watching a video! Every year I order live caterpillars from www.insectlore.com
    and we watch them grow from tiny 1/4 inch caterpillars to real butterflies. We have them in my classroom right now! The kids are so excited, they can hardly wait to see them change!

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 26, 2007

5. evil_twin2327

evil_twin2327 Rookie

Apr 27, 2007

don't know if it exists

I raise monarchs every year (so keep in mind my experience is with them, though I am fairly certain the same goes for most butterflies/moths). I have spoken with researchers and scientists and they still have the same question that your students do! No one really knows what happens inside the coccoon/chrysalis. My kids call the inside "butterfly juice"! So I am not sure any type of video exists out there showing the transformation from inside the coccoon/chrysalis.

6. wdwteach

wdwteach Cohort

Apr 27, 2007

We grow the real thing every year. It is a little gross. Their heads fall off! And when the butterflies hatch, they bleed and some of them do not straighten their wings and are not able to fly away. I always explain to the kids that we are watching real creatures be born and it is not always pretty or perfect but it is real life. (Still a little icky.)

7. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Apr 28, 2007

My understanding, from what I have read, is that they are not really bleeding. I believe that the red substance is actually excess color, from the wings. But it really does look like blood. One year we had a chrysalis that fell to the bottom of the container. When the butterfly "hatched", it's one wing was somewhat deformed and it could not fly. I wondered if it was the side it laid on in the chrysalis. Last year, we had one caterpillar that just would not hang and turn into a chrysalis. It just stayed a caterpillar for weeks after the others were done and had flown away. A coworker took it home with her, but I never heard what happened to it.