Houston?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by funshine2381, Jul 7, 2010.

1. funshine2381

funshine2381 Companion

Jul 7, 2010

I've decided to go ahead and move in with my sister in Houston and continue the job search up there. Does anyone know what the jobs look like in the Houston or Spring area? I've already started applying...was just wondering if maybe there's better luck over there. Thanks in advance!

3. howdyaggie12

howdyaggie12 Rookie

Jul 7, 2010

I applied to some of the Houston area districts. I know it is competitive in many of the major metro areas. From some Houston teachers I've met at job fairs....I've heard that the east side of Houston has more openings and needs...going towards the Galveston area. I have also heard of some hiring freezes in areas like Fort Bend. As far as openings, Conroe and Clearcreek seemed to have many openings when I was looking for a position. Many of the nicer districts will be harder to get into, due to demand.

Again this is just what I've heard and seen. I'm not from Houston...so maybe someone from the area can give more of an insiders scoop.

4. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 7, 2010

The HISD school district has revamped their application process. When I applied less than 8 years ago it was simply an interview with HR and an application filed. Now there are more interviews, plus they are asking for a lesson demo. I know some people who were told they were only filling the emergent positions right now-that they had a lot of applications on file already.

There are openings at schools, however, it's getting past the red tape part that might be difficult.

5. oppa637

oppa637 Rookie

Jul 7, 2010

With resignations last day being june 10th i think. I was told by many that they would start showing openings right after that. Which side of houston you coming to?

6. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 7, 2010

No, I think some districts around Houston have a cut-off date of July 10th.

7. funshine2381

funshine2381 Companion

Jul 7, 2010

oppa, I'll be north in the Spring area. I already did HISD and Spring today...know it will be hard to get into Spring, but I did it anyways.

8. oppa637

oppa637 Rookie

Jul 7, 2010

oops, i meant july.

9. oppa637

oppa637 Rookie

Jul 7, 2010

might want to try cypress fairbanks too. they were really friendly and helped me out a lot.

10. funshine2381

funshine2381 Companion

Jul 7, 2010

I didn't think of that one...thank you! Thanks to all the Texas posters!

11. MsManda3

MsManda3 Rookie

Jul 8, 2010

Hello fellow Houstonian!

Jobs are pretty tough to find in Houston, or so I've been getting. I know Fort Bend has a hiring freeze, and I think Cy-Fair is going to be hiring soon. They had to do a hiring freeze due to budget issues. I'm hoping so anyway! I student taught there and long-term subbed there. It's my number #1 district that I want. I wish I knew how to get interviews with principals!

Also, try Conroe ISD. A friend of mine just got hired there and I saw many postings. Klein ISD is also near Spring ISD and they're hiring. I'll keep my eyes open as I'm desperately searching in the area too! I'm looking into:

1. Cy-Fair ISD
    2. Katy ISD
    3. Tomball ISD
    4. Klein ISD

12. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 8, 2010

Funshine, I live in that same area. Don't hesitate to apply to Aldine as well. It usually has openings, and it's no different from Spring and HISD.

13. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Jul 8, 2010

I have heard that Houston is easier to get a teaching position than in Dallas. I would try whatever avenue gets you a job. Good luck!:)