Houston Job Market

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by deeceekids, Jun 1, 2010.

1. deeceekids

deeceekids Companion

Jun 1, 2010

After a year of unsuccessfully applying for jobs in this area, I am now applying for jobs in the Houston area. So far, I have a preliminary screening for one district and have to teach a lesson for another district. For those in the Houston area, I am wondering how the job market looks for an experienced teacher.

3. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 1, 2010

Let me put it this way -- when I applied with HISD, I was told there were 14,000 teachers applying for 1,100 openings.

There are layoffs all over the place. You might try some far-outlying districts in the area, but it will be tight trying to find something.

Best of luck to you!

4. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 1, 2010

Deecee, what are your areas of certification? Don't let people scare you away from the "rough" areas. Kids are kids. I've taught in HISD, I've taught in Aldine, and I'm currently teaching in one of the areas considered to be a "good" district. The issues are the same wherever you go.

If you have questions about a specific area or district, feel free to PM me. I've lived in Houston my whole life.

5. newteacher26

newteacher26 Companion

Jun 1, 2010

It just depends where you apply and what areas you're certified to teach in. I've been to 5 job fairs and they all had positions available. Where in Houston do you plan to look into? I know of a few where I'm from that still have openings and I know of one that's not hiring at all. I would apply to the districts you want whether or not they have positions posted. Also make contact with principals if you can. I got an interview for a school for HISD just by contacting the principal. Don't let anything stop you, You just never know :)