Houston ISD

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Emmy, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Emmy

Emmy Companion

Jul 16, 2010

Any teachers in the Houston area out there that know anything about Houston ISD? I have been trying to get a job in HISD for at least a year. I've submitted my video, and now I am just waiting for the next phase of the selection process. The process is taking forever. I feel like the process will take too long in order for me to get a job for the fall.

Anyone know if its okay to take a resume in person to the school or email the principal? Do principals get annoyed at those who do that?

I have gotten hired on to sub in HISD, so if I don't get selected for a position at least I've got my back up plan.

Any advice about getting a job in Houston ISD would be very much appreciated.

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 16, 2010

Emmy, I don't know anything about HISD's specific practices, so I can't help you there. Have you applied with any other districts in the area?

4. newteacher26

newteacher26 Companion

Jul 16, 2010

Emmy, I don't know too much about the application/hiring process in HISD either. However, it wouldn't hurt to try sending your resume to principals. I did so and got an interview. :)

5. Geauxtee

Geauxtee Comrade

Jul 16, 2010

In the Houston Chronicle, they said HISD has a 1000 positions and 5000 applicants so far. With the video submissions, they have had those applicants narrowed down to only 600 for interviews (this article was about a month ago). I don't know maybe keep calling HR for HISD and see how your video was received? They give applicants a rating on the video and then determine if they should call them for an interview. The Gallup Insight test is another factor in deciding who or not gets interviewed. Maybe google the Gallup Insight test and see if your answers are usually the "norm" of what they are looking for?

Good Luck.

6. Emmy

Emmy Companion

Jul 16, 2010

I've done the Gallup Insight, and have submitted my video. Since submitting my video (about a week or two ago) I haven't heard anything so I don't know if I'm still in the running. I'm certified EC-4th so I'm not in a critical needs area.

I've emailed principals before and have never gotten a response. So I'm wondering if its okay to go by schools that have openings and give them my resume or if thats too forward.

I've also applied to Spring Branch ISD but they don't list campus openings so I have no idea of what schools have openings, so of course I don't know which principals to contact.

7. newteacher26

newteacher26 Companion

Jul 16, 2010

Are you certified in bilingual or esl? Aldine ISD is hiring teachers for Bilingual grades from PK-5.

8. Emmy

Emmy Companion

Jul 17, 2010

No not certified bilingual or esl, although I am taking my esl certification next week so I could be certified soon. I've heard that Aldine is a rough district to teach in though.

9. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 17, 2010

Aldine isn't any tougher than Spring Branch or HISD...

10. oppa637

oppa637 Rookie

Jul 17, 2010

Theres a lot of other districts...which side of houston you live on?

11. Emmy

Emmy Companion

Jul 17, 2010

I live in the city in the Inner Loop area. I live in the city of West University Place, which is also near to Bellaire

12. oppa637

oppa637 Rookie

Jul 17, 2010

well, try alief or fortbend also.

13. Emmy

Emmy Companion

Jul 17, 2010

Fort Bend is a good idea. I student taught in Alief and was miserable so I don't think Alief is a good fit for me.

14. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 17, 2010

We usually have about 1200 positions each year. I think it's less because less people are actually retiring because of the economy.

It does seem like process is taking a lot longer for some people. You can absolutely deliver your resumes-however, no P is going to hire you unless you've been cleared by HR-that will be their 1st question. If you really impress a P, they might have some contacts to help try to push you app through-I don't know. The P's have a list of available candidates. I might go to HR in person and plead your case if I were you. Just ask flat out what the chances are.

I know of at least 2 people who were told they weren't going to accept anyone else except for critical positions and they would let them know that at the end of July.

It's unfortunate some good candidates are getting the runaround.

15. historical_soul

historical_soul Rookie

Jul 18, 2010

I just got a position with HISD. The process is crazy -- this is the first year they have used this system from what I've heard. After the video lesson plan they have the first interview, which is done in large groups and has very specific questions (nothing like any other interview I've done!) and after that individual principals interview you. After the first interview there was also a job fair/meet-and-greet for potential candidates, which I could not attend. At this point the recruiters told us we could contact schools individually, so go for it. The HISD website states which schools have openings, and with some research you can find e-mails and principal names.

Good luck!

16. Emmy

Emmy Companion

Jul 18, 2010

With regards to HISD's first interview is it an individual interview meaning you are the only candidate being interviewed? What was the interview like? I'm scared to death of interviewing with HISD's human resource department. Principals I'm fine with, but I get so nervous with Human Resources.

17. historical_soul

historical_soul Rookie

Jul 23, 2010

Sorry I didn't respond sooner! I've been going crazy with HR and numerous trips between Houston and College Station.

The first interview is one on one with an HR rep, but mine was held in the cafeteria with everyone else doing the same interview at other tables. They used scripted questions that were very situational. Rather than asking you what you can and cannot do, they ask you to imagine different situations and what your response would be. Not exactly out of the norm for an interview, but their approach was different from anything I had ever seen. Don't stress too much about interviewing with HR -- they mostly read the questions and take a lot of notes.

Good luck!

18. TxMaThTeAcHeR

TxMaThTeAcHeR Rookie

Jul 26, 2010

I taught in Aldine (nimitz to be exact), and while it was a bit rough at times, I LOVED it. The kids were great, and it was a very rewarding job. Don't rule out Aldine. I am from very northern MN, in a smallllllll town, and was scared out of my mind when I first started, but when I moved back to MN, it was sooo hard to leave my kids. I have a bunch on facebook that still keep in touch with me :)

19. funshine2381

funshine2381 Companion

Jul 28, 2010

I didn't have to do the video lesson or anything crazy. I just had interview with the principal. I think you get pushed through with experience.

20. TCoker

TCoker New Member

Jul 31, 2010

Emmy,

I know of someone who just resigned from an elementary teaching position with Deer Park. You might want to email the elementary principals and send your resume. I'm sure they'll want to hire asap.

tscmmm453@yahoo.com