Houses/homes theme

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by bijansmom, Aug 30, 2009.

1. bijansmom

bijansmom Companion

Aug 30, 2009

We don't do 'themes' per se -- we do investigations at our center --Our first investigation is on homes/houses --any math, science, art ideas? We do not use precut shapes and all our art has to be mostly open-ended --also any writing/literacy ideas for this? I appreciate all the responses in advance. THANKS!

3. pabef

pabef Comrade

Aug 30, 2009

I read In a People House and had the children drew what is in their house on paper and I wrote what they told me underneath. Example - In Beth's house there are dogs. We made a class book. I laminated pictures from calendars and magazines for the children to look at of different types of houses. We counted the windows, doors etc.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 1, 2009

If you talk about how they're made, you can do "blueprints..." white chalk or crayon or gel markers on blue paper. You can also build "houses" with toothpicks and either gumdrops or marshmallows (marshmallows are cheaper usually but the kids seem to find gum drops easier to work with because they're sturdier). Both of those lend themselves to describing what you made after they're done, which gets your language stuff, too :)

5. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Sep 1, 2009

Check out "A House is a House for Me" by Maryann Hoberman for literacy. It talks about different houses and things house different things. ( ie a bread box is a house for bread, a hive is a house for bees)

There is a lot in there you can work with.

6. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 1, 2009

Math, how many people in your family
    Sets, how many girls, how many boys
    Literature, math, 1-1 coorespondence,--3 little pigs, Goldilocks and three bears
    Science--3 little pigs and how strong is your building material?
    Role Play--act out stories