Housekeeping or not?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by Sheila, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Aug 8, 2012

I went in to set up my room today. My first official day is not until Monday. Anyway, I am really struggling with my housekeeping area. I could really use the area where it is for some math/science centers. Our free choice time is getting cut back so I am not upset if I have to put it in storage anyway.

Does anyone else not have housekeeping?

I know play is important but I have to keep district guidelines.

3. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2012

I've had years when I didn't have a housekeeping area. My class had no real interest in it, but loved building, so I expanded the block area.
    I also find that if there is any trouble to be had, it is most always in the housekeeping area! Kind of nice without it.
    Once in a while I would bring out a set of dishes and put them in an area or on a small table or I would have them wash the babies in sensory tables.
    Another thing to consider is that the Houskeeping area can also serve as a Math or Science area combination. For example, measuring cups and spoons would constitute "math."Many things could be for science. There are lots of ways to look at the area other than just housekeeping. Math and science books are good in the housekeeping area as are natural elements from outdoors, (rocks, leaf collections, etc.)
    My classes get very bored with just a math or science center, so I find myself constantly trying to make these areas more interesting.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 8, 2012

None of our K teachers have one at my school.

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 8, 2012

No school in my district has it in kindergarten anymore. You can get rid of the furniture and keep different themed boxes to rotate.

6. myKroom

myKroom Habitué

Aug 8, 2012

No housekeeping in either of the districts I've been in. I think the emphasis on play is so different then it used to be. There so much academic pressure that, unfortunately, it gets cut out. Yes, the kids need it, but there just isn't time. I do the best I can to "play" in all the academic things we do.

7. Be_the_change

Be_the_change Rookie

Aug 19, 2012

My room has all of the housekeeping furniture, and I'm not sure that I even want it. Just like the OP, I'm having trouble finding the space for it, and I'd love to make way for other awesome "application" centers. I'm looking forward to meeting the rest of my team this week so I can find out if they actually use the housekeeping stuff or if I can request that it be removed from my room.

8. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 19, 2012

Well I'm going to be the rebel here! ;) I love having a housekeeping center. I fought to keep mine.

Because of the emphasis on academics, I do structure activities there-matching foods with the words written on plates, taking orders on order pads like a restaurant (writing practice). It's their favorite place to go.

9. WestCoast Teach

WestCoast Teach Rookie

Aug 24, 2012

Because of the emphasis on academics, I do structure activities there-matching foods with the words written on plates, taking orders on order pads like a restaurant (writing practice). It's their favorite place to go.[/QUOTE]

Stongly agree! *KEEP!* :) I still have mine as well. I think it's important to try to keep these centres, for the exact reason that the academic push is just TOO much these days.

As KinderCowgirl metioned there are a variety of ways to enrich the centre with opportunities for Language Arts development as well as Mathematics with taking orders and prices... My kids LOVE when it becomes MORE than a "centre".