Housekeeping Area

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by maebowler, Sep 19, 2010.

1. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Sep 19, 2010

In our dramatic play area we have a housekeeping area. The students have a really hard time putting all the food and dishes in the correct buckets, even though they are labeled. I would like to make it so that the dishes are on the shelves and the food that belongs in the fridge is in the fridge and the food that goes on shelves is on the shelves. I am wondering if other people have done this. I would add labels such as plates, bowls, dishes, etc. Do you have food in baskets? I'm thinking it would be easier for the shelves. I was thinking of labeling those as well but think that the students would have a hard time sorting the fruit, vegetables, etc. at clean up time.

We also have a box of doctor kit items. I'm thinking of gathering other items and switch the box out monthly. For others that have done this, do you buy stuff, ask for donations, what? Our parents don't have a lot, but I know that we have parents that want to donate more so I'm thinking of sending a letter asking for certain things.

Thanks in advance!!

3. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Sep 19, 2010

I'd suggest taking away some of the dishes and food and teaching them slowly how you want it. We have very little out now, and we go over the cleanup every day in the beginning of the year until they get it right. I plan on adding more slowly as the year goes by.

4. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 19, 2010

put pictures on the shelfs of where you want items. The children will match the pictures to where you want them. Put the pictures on the baskets, shelves, and everywhere that they need to go.

5. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Sep 19, 2010

6. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

Sep 19, 2010

I'm satisfied if they get everything off of the floor.

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 19, 2010

mrgrinch--you are so right. I have big baskets and just scoop the toys up and toss them in.

8. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Sep 20, 2010

Agree with NMK, you may have too much out if they can't put it away properly. I start out with just a few pieces of plastic fruit and just a few dishes/pots. Eventually, when they have learned how to use everything properly I have the food in two small tubs, each tub labeled with pics of food on the sides. I have one small tub of dishes labeled with a picture of dishes on the sides. The places where the tubs go (inside cabinet) are also labeled with the same pictures so they just put the objects into the correct tub and place the tub on top of the picture. Here's a picture of my dramatic play center, but I don't think it shows the tubs.

9. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 20, 2010

Mrgrinch you make me laugh!

But I have to say, as always, I am with you and Blue......just off the floor! And the plastic food is my least favorite item in the housekeeping area.

10. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 21, 2010

And yes, I switch things out.

The furniture itself pretty much stays, because I don't have anywhere else to put it, but they get really creative with it anyway.

For doctor's office/vet's office... dr kit, stuffed animals/ dolls (patients), and "charts" for them to fill out... just clipboards or manilla folders with blank paper stapled on the front.

Store... toy cash registers and play money, put "price tags" on things and use real boxes for items :)\

Post office... mailbox, cards, blank paper, donated stationary, stickers to use as stamps...

I've even done "school" in dramatic play center... the kids LOVE it when I put in old name cards, extra calendar on the wall, some of the things we generally use in circle time, etc.

I've sent a letter home that we're looking for things to spice up dramatic play, and we'd love old cell phones (without the battery), ties, sport coats, dresses, plastic salt/pepper shakers, junk mail, whatever.... I've often been surprised what parents are getting rid of anyway that they'll send in! I also scour garage sales and my church's resale to find useful stuff, particularly for dress-up clothes. :)