House On Mango Street

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by engl78, Sep 29, 2008.

1. engl78

engl78 Rookie

Sep 29, 2008

Hey teachers,,,,I've been assigned to teach House on Mango Street, a very last minute addition to the curriculum. (I started the school year three weeks late.) I have only a day to plan and I need ideas on planning a 3-4 week unit. Does anyone have ideas or a unit they wouldn't mind sharing? I'm in a crunch!

Thanks!

3. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Sep 29, 2008

Wow...I did a project on this in 11th grade...I'll try and see if I can some up with some stuff for you.

4. engl78

engl78 Rookie

Sep 29, 2008

You're awesome! Thanks.

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 29, 2008

6. wig

wig Devotee

Sep 29, 2008

I googled the title and came up with lots. I personally like webEnglishteacher for a lot of my "book plans"

7. jenngugs

jenngugs Companion

Sep 29, 2008

Hmmm...does it have to be 3-4 weeks. Mango St. is pretty short....what level are you teaching?

8. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 29, 2008

Do you have access to technology? One of the teachers in my school is having the kids to a documentary of their own neighborhoods with digital pictures and Photo Story. Once they put the pictures together, they have to narrate a story of their own.

9. engl78

engl78 Rookie

Sep 30, 2008

That's a great idea! These kids have access to technology. Wow, I might just do this! Thanks so much. Everyone has been so helpful.

10. engl78

engl78 Rookie

Sep 30, 2008

I'm teaching freshman. It has to be 3-4 weeks because we have days off and testing during that time.

11. Hazel QT

Hazel QT Rookie

Sep 30, 2008

Wow, what a great book. Depending on the grade level, the students will more than likely enjoy this novel. Not sure if the lessons can last 3-4 weeks though. One idea that can be taken from the novel is how is the protagonist's view of what a house represents is related to the American ideal of a real house/family.

12. engl78

engl78 Rookie

Oct 5, 2008

Starting House on Mango this week!

Hey teachers! Thanks for all your helpful advice. I start Mango this week and I'm searching for ideas on how to start the book. I'm going to explore this text as a writing unit, focusing on vignettes, but I'm stuck on HOW to start. What would grab their attention when their attention span is nill? These are freshman classes with little interest in reading. I'm feeling a little panicked (if you can't tell, I'm a first year teacher who needs sleep.)

Thanks everyone.

13. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Oct 5, 2008

14. Passion4Teachin

Passion4Teachin Rookie

Oct 9, 2008

I am teaching The House on Mango Street with freshman with a low reading level. My unit was based around the essential question "What is identity?" and we talked about that day one and listened to the song "Superman" by Five for Fighting. We talked about the identity of Superman and how he lives two different lives--- we talked about how we have different lives too a student at school, but then at home we might have other lives like a sister who has to act like a mother or a daughter who has to go to work to support her family, etc. While reading we always come back to identity and what influences affects Esperanza's identity. They are enjoying it so far! I also have them writing vignettes (modeled after Cisneros) PM me if you have any other questions

15. earthdragon72

earthdragon72 Rookie

Nov 7, 2008

Wow house on mango street fav story ever. Have you thought about a play. Put at least 4 students in each group and have them re do a similar story about their neighborhood and compare it with the story.

16. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Nov 8, 2008

My son's 9th grade English teacher had them do a huge project on HOMS. If memory serves me right, they had to pick quotes from the book and draw a picture that represented the symbolism depicted in the quote (I remember one being about an anchor). Also, they had to write about their own neighborhoods using imagery (I believe). But the idea of using a presentation with your own neighborhood is great!