Hours as a virtual instructor

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by mickapoo, Aug 28, 2015.

1. mickapoo

mickapoo Rookie

Aug 28, 2015

Hi all! I have a question for anyone who has worked as a teacher/instructor with either K12 or the FL Virtual School system. I know it requires a lot of hours with other components (creating lesson plans, grading, etc...), but generally speaking, how much of that time is spent in front of the computer actually delivering lessons? Do you typically start that part of your day and end it at a certain time? In other words do you start at 8am teaching via the webcam and teach for 4 hours? 6 hours, etc...? Then late afternoon you do the lesson planning? What is a typical day like?

Thank you in advance!

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 28, 2015

I'm at a similar online school, so I can give you a ballpark idea. I usually log in sometime between 7-7:30 and stop sometime between 4-5 depending on how I'm faring with student contacts and my own fatigue. I can usually take a half hour or so to run or get to the gym and then eat lunch at my desk while I'm grading assignments. That being said, I also tend to log back in during the evenings to continue grading / planning / answering student contacts.

The beginning of the year is ALWAYS a lot more work, and it slows down after the first month.

4. mickapoo

mickapoo Rookie

Sep 3, 2015

Thank you for the response. How much of that time is actually spent online, delivering lessons via webcam? Thanks again!

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 3, 2015