Houghton Mifflon Collections anyone?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MsMar, Jun 19, 2016.

1. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 19, 2016

I'll be teaching ELA next year and my district will be using Collections. A few of the teachers piloted it this past school year and now it's going to be used by everyone. I was teaching Social Studies but have been switched to ELA. If anyone has used this program, especially with 6th grade, I'd love any feedback and info you have. Also if you have suggestions on ways to make it engaging and interesting that would be great. In SS I always incorporated a lot of projects and interesting activities and I hope to be able to do the same as an ELA teacher while still following the curriculum requirements.

3. go gators

go gators New Member

Jun 20, 2016

The middle school I worked at last year just adopted it for next year. I know the 6th grade teacher had issues with it because the articles are long and a higher level than most of the students she served. There is a lot of technology components with connections to A&E, The History Channel, etc. I liked their ELL component too.

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Jun 20, 2016

Yeah, the reading level definitely seems to be on the high side. I haven't looked deeply at the ELL components but will make sure to do so. From what I've glanced at, there are some parts of the ELL section that could be good to use with all students.