Hotels in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by HTCC, May 4, 2015.

1. HTCC

HTCC Rookie

May 4, 2015

I'm going to San Francisco for vacation this summer. I'm looking for recommendations on hotels. I know there are a ton of places. I'm hoping to find something reasonably priced, preferably under $175 a night. But no hostels please.

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 4, 2015

I'm going there too this summer! The last time I went, I stayed at the Radisson Fisherman's Wharf & had no complaints. It was reasonably priced. You could easily walk right across the street to Fisherman's Wharf from there.

Before that, I stayed at the Hotel Kabuki (formerly the Miyako Hotel at the time I stayed). I'd love to stay at this one again since it's been a long time! But, it depends on whether I want to stay at a different hotel in the Union Square area this time. My BF wants the Fisherman's Wharf area since he's never been to SF.

The Argonaut Hotel in FW seems nice, which I haven't been to before.

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

May 4, 2015

DO NOT STAY IN FISHERMAN'S WHARF. You can visit there. But I wouldn't want my hotel room there. Just too crazy and touristy. And by "crazy" I don't mean fun-crazy, or even weird and demented crazy. It's more like the annoying, "one more minute of this and I'm going to kill someone" kind of crazy.

And the "touristy" isn't even like Time's Square/Piccadilly Circus kind of touristy. It's more like the Mall of America if the Mall of America smelled like urine and rotting crustaceans.

The place to STAY is around the Embarcardero, by the Ferry building. Lot's to do, and you can walk or take the F train to Fisherman's Wharf (it's a VERY nice walk). It's also a short walk or an even shorter transit ride to the shopping around Union Square (Another place to not stay. Too close to the Tenderloin). You can also walk to Chinatown easily from the Embardardero as well. You can't easily walk to Chinatown from Fisherman's Wharf.

The Embarcardero/Financial district also close to BART which will get you anywhere in the Bay Area. Fisherman's Wharf is very far from BART and most other decent SF transit.

From the Embarcardero, you can walk to a Giant's game, take a pedicab to Fisherman's wharf, hang out at the Ferry Building, or get on the Muni Metro and take a train to Golden Gate Park, the Castro District, Haight Ashbury, and Ocean Beach. None of those things are accessible from Fisherman's Wharf.

You can also hop a ferry to Sausalito, Tiburon, and Angel Island just as easily as you can from Fisherman's Wharf (don't stay there).

Moreover, BART runs directly to San Francisco Airport from the Embarcardero station.

For hotels, I recommend the Hyatt at Embarcardero if you want to stay in your price range. It's got a nice bar, a good breakfast, and the rooms are decent.

A little more pricey, but a lot more fun, is our favorite, The Harbor Court.

The Harbor Court is a "boutique hotel" that doesn't have all the amenities of the Hyatt. But it has a really nice lobby, free milk and cookies at bed time, free loaner bicycles, and rooms with amazing bay views. It's also pet friendly if that matters.

Take it from someone who used to live in San Francisco, and still visit's there on a very regular basis. Don't stay near Fisherman's Wharf. Stay in the Finanical District, near the Embarcardero. Walk to Fisherman's wharf when you want to go there or have an Irish coffee at the Buena Vista.

After you've had your fill of the tourists and hucksters at Fisherman's wharf, you can return to your nice room in the lively, yet orderly, Financial district.

One more thing. A great many of the GOOD bars and restaurants in San Francisco are in the Embarcardero/Financial District. NONE of the good bars and restaraunts are in Fisherman's wharf.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 4, 2015

Sarge, thanks also for all the info. I won't have a car when I go this time...didn't the last time either back in 2009, so I'm eager to go again!

6. HTCC

HTCC Rookie

May 5, 2015

Thanks for the insight! It's clearly much too soon for me to book hotels since the prices for August are all $300 and up, but prices for the next few weeks are lower.

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 7, 2015

I know SF's a high area, but wow. I'm checking that Hyatt at Embarcardero for June 2-5 & $400+ - $500+/night & those are weekdays I'm staying!

I checked the hotel+flight duo for a more moderately-priced hotel & still about $1329+ for 2 people for 2 weeknights. We shall see.

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 11, 2015

OK, I'll probably be staying at The Tuscan, which is one of the Kimpton boutique hotels near Fisherman's Wharf. I've never stayed there before, so we'll see. It says $319/night on their hotel site for a standard, king bed room.

http://www.tuscanhotel.com/

9. HTCC

HTCC Rookie

May 14, 2015

Enjoy! That's too far above my budget, so I'm thinking about trying Priceline's name your price and hoping for the best! I thought about airbnb where you can rent a room or apartment but not sure how safe that is.

10. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

May 14, 2015

I live here, so I know nothing about hotels (since I live in my apartment), but I would not want to stay at places mentioned.

Honestly, if I were a visitor and hotels were priced like that, I would stay in Berkeley or oakland at a nice hotel near a Bart station. Then, I could just walk to the station and be in sf in 20 minutes. What about the Claremont resort in Berkeley? I used to live in that area and it is a pleasant walk to Bart. I don't know if it is worth that much to stay in San Francisco proper when über has made getting around so very cheap.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

May 14, 2015

Thanks, I'll post back here how I liked the hotel. I hope you find a good hotel for the price you want!

12. Alesia

Alesia Companion

May 15, 2015

My husband and I were in San Fran for spring break. We stayed at a hotel called Hotel California. The room was small, but it was an overall decent hotel.

13. HTCC

HTCC Rookie

May 21, 2015

Thanks daisycakes. I'll have to look at these options too. Never having been there, I didn't know how close these areas were or how easy it would be to get around. I'm not used to having a good public transportation system!