Hotels and toddlers

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by leighbball, Aug 14, 2012.

1. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2012

Anyone have any advice for staying in a hotel with a toddler? We've done the motel before...the one where we go down the shore has a mini kitchen and everything. But this time, we are going to a hotel with just a bed, tv, and bathroom. I'm excited for our trip, but it will be different washing out sippy cups in the bathroom and all :lol:

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2012

I always took one of those packable beds when traveling...I didn't like the idea of using the hotel porta crib.

4. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2012

My daughter fell out of the hotel's portable crib.:mad:

5. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2012

I would take a small dishpan for washing any dishes. Hotel sinks creep me out.
    Pack/plays are nice for portable beds.

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2012

Bring outlet covers. A small cooler will help with juice boxes and milk.

You can ask whether they have bed rails, or bring some yourself.

7. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2012

We brought along our crib mattress for sleeping on the floor...we still do. We also keep it for slumber parties and stromy nights when they want to sleep by Mom and Dad.

My brother slept his son in the bathtub! HAHAHA

If the door unlocks with just turning the handle, put something in front of the exit door like luggage or a cooler so that your toddler has to physically move it to get out.

8. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 14, 2012

Many hotels today upgrade you if you ask without a price increase. Ask for a room that has a frig and microwave and 2 beds. I would also bring a pack and play.

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 14, 2012

I would say bring an old sheet, if he plays on the floor or even to cover the comforters.

Even if hot I'd bring some socks for him to wear. I don't step any where in a hotel unless my feet are covered.

A night light for either in the room your sleeping in/ the bathroom. You may find that you just leave a light on somewhere in the room like a closet or bathroom, but at least you have it in case.

10. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2012

I would ask for a room with a fridge. It will help with milk!!
    Last summer, I brought sippy cups and made a stop at a supermarket on the way from the airport to the hotel. I got milk, diapers, wipes, sponges and cleaning supplies for cups and sink (I hear ya on the hotel sink thing....ewwww)! I aslo picked up a few snacks for the baby. Whatever was left at the end of the trip, we ditched. It really helped on packin to not bring diapers and wipes.

Because we flew, we had to rent a pack and play from the hotel. I also cleaned that and did bring my own sheet.

Oh, they do make those take and toss sippy cups.....my daugther wont drink from them, but if you bring those, you don't have to worry about washing cups!

11. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Aug 15, 2012

Oh, and if you are flying you can gate check the stroller and car seat. No fees!

I think you can also do with pack and play....we took the hotel one bc we figured that between baby, stroller, car seat and luggage, the pack and play was going to be a bit much!!

12. BettyRubble

BettyRubble Rookie

Aug 16, 2012

Any chance you can stay in a suite? My son is 20 months and wouldn't sleep if we were awake and in the same room. He ended up sleeping with me in bed (after an hour of playing while we waited for him to settle down since he never sleeps in bed with us at home). A suite would have been nice because we could have put him in his own room in the PnP and still watched TV.

I'd bring a little dish soap for the sippy cups and I second trying to get a room with a fridge or at least having a cooler and replenishing the ice. Not sure what you're doing for meals but we brought a travel booster and hooked it to the chair next to the desk in the room when we ate breakfast at once place that didn't have a breakfast room to sit in (the other hotel we stayed at coming home did and had high chairs so that was nice).

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2012

Thanks for the ideas everyone! The pack n play is already in dh's car :) I called and there are no fridges, so we will just have to stick his juice boxes in the ice bucket :) They do have suites, but we can't afford them...they were twice the price per night! It's only for 3 nights, so I know we'll be okay...chances are we will all fall asleep early each night :)

14. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2012

Have fun! Don't think about germs, just enjoy yourself.