Hot, hot, hot

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jem, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 28, 2008

My thermostat read 96 degrees today. And I found out I read my schedule wrong-we do NOT have spanish for the last hour of the day after all. So I had my kids packed up and lined up, ready to go... nowhere. We had to sit back down in the 96 degree heat, with nothing to do. I turned out the lights, told them to pull out a book, and we all tried not to breath too much, as our breath was also hot. My shirt was literally stuck to my back. And we're looking at above 100 degrees tomorrow. I can't wait.

(David will not be joining us for our special heat wave, as he got heat stroke today, threw up, and I finally convinced the office to call his mother.)

3. SouperTeach

SouperTeach Companion

Aug 28, 2008

Oh my goodness! How awful! I can't imagine trying to teach without air conditioning. Our gym isn't air conditioned and the kids come in from PE dripping with sweat. I had to let one girl lounge in my reading center so that she could get cooled down. I really feel for you.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 28, 2008

Wow, Jem, I'm sorry that you and the students are having to endure this. We're used to triple digit weather, but all of the schools I've taught at have had A/C.

5. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 28, 2008

Yikes! We had a heat wave in June they actually closed school down one day and let us out early another day b/c we dont have air conditioner. I brought in ice pops b/c it was awful in the classroom.
    Hope tomorrow goes okay for you

6. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Aug 28, 2008

Most schools in Coastal Northern California have no air conditioning unless the room is a newer portable.

My class and I experimented with manipulatives and did art in a roasting hot classroom.

7. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Aug 29, 2008

maybe you can get a portable ac. ?? they are all on sale this time of year around here. that is absolutely rediculous that they have you folks teaching in those conditions. As a parent I wouldn't send me child to school.

8. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2008

I can relate. After the tropical storm here in Fla this Tuesday was the nastiest humid day I can remember in teaching PE for 30 years. I hate Aug for PE in Fla. Its just survival for me.

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 29, 2008

That's too bad! I get hot faster than anyone. I always have. I brought a portable fan from home when I had my own classroom.

10. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 29, 2008

I stocked up on popsickles for today. We're going to take a math pre-test after lunch, eat popsickles and then they are off to PE and I'm done. Woot!

11. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Aug 29, 2008

I am so sorry! We have had problems with our air and some rooms are 86 degrees. You just go home drained! I hope it gets cooler for you. :)

12. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 29, 2008

I'm a hot natured person but it is freezing in our classroom. The kids complain because it is too cold (2nd grade). My teacher's response? Sorry, I'm just getting comfortable.

13. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 29, 2008

We maxed out today at 91 degrees. I had sweat running down my nose. And temples. And forehead and back and legs-everywhere. Yuck.

I'm sure this will break soon. Good thing we have the three day weekend! Maybe it will be cooler on Tuesday! We did enjoy our popsickle break (after our math test-a good reward, I think ;).

14. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Aug 29, 2008

I feel for you. I am so thankful that our school is air conditioned. It has been from 95 to 100 most days (except for the few days when we had some effect from the hurricane then it rained and was in the upper 80's). They just air conditioned our gym a couple of years ago and it made a great deal of difference. Now the kids don't go out there and come back soaked. I don't know how those that start school in 100 degree weather and don't have air make it. Here's sending you wishes for cooler weather.

15. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 29, 2008

I have a potporri pot in my room, so it smells like apple spice right now. I had parents comment after school today how great it was that the room didn't smell like stinky, sweaty kids. We may be stinky and sweaty, but we cover it well! Ha!

16. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 29, 2008

Jem, I know exactly what you are going through, and I am sooo sorry! We've been lucky in that the temps and humidity have been lower than normal. The rooms are still about 87 degrees, but the lower humidity levels really help. There have been years in the recent past when I have endured your current hardship. If you want a cold yummy treat that is also healty, freeze a bunch of grapes and pass them out. I gave each kid in my class one grape after recess and they tried to make them each last as long as possible. They taste better than popiscles IMO.

17. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 30, 2008

I have AC now, but I grew up without it. I remember how awful it was.

18. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 30, 2008

We had to have been over 100 yesterday afternoon. I think at next week's recess, I am giving my popsicles.