Hospitality Committee Ideas

Discussion in 'General Education' started by begood:), Mar 3, 2011.

1. begood:)

begood:) New Member

Mar 3, 2011

Hello Y'all,
    This is my first year to be in charge of our school's Hospitality (Social/ Sunshine) Committee. I want to know what other school's do for their staff. I'm giving treats on paydays, we have monthly breakfast, we did Secret Santa's and Val Pals. We had an ok Christmas party and a good Chili Cook-off to start off the Rodeo season. I want more and more great ideas.
    Also, it is hard to get staff to do things "outside" of 7:30-3:30 work day! So motivation ideas are also welcomed!:thumb:
    Please let me know of what you do at your school!!!

3. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

Mar 3, 2011

My school's committee does b-day cards, an end of the year celebration where they honor births, weddings, retirements, etc. We have a holiday potluck, and a Valentine's one too... I don't think there is anything else. How about a breakfast? We've ha those before - like stop by the commons and grab some coffee and a bagel kind of thing.

4. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Mar 3, 2011

Ours always have a breakfast for the holidays - so nice to go up and grab something yummy in the morning!

5. Sshintaku

Sshintaku Comrade

Mar 3, 2011

Ours does a drawing at staff meetings for like a $5 Starbucks card.

6. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Mar 3, 2011

We do a monthly potluck. That is IT. We don't feel very welcomed sometimes or appreciated sometimes.

7. begood:)

Mar 4, 2011

These are all great ideas.
    @mrachelle87... do y'all enjoy those potlucks? I'm sorry you don't feel appreciated. I know you are!
    Do any of you have to pay a fee at the beginning of the year. We charge $20 to be in the Hospitality for the year. We provide goodies for everyone in the school but when it comes time for celebrations or deaths we only provide for those who paid. This is just for the members... Man, typing that sounds much more harsh than I thought! BUt there are those that won't pay but enjoy everything and still complain about things. I guess that was more our initial thoughts...
    Thanks for the ideas!!!

8. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

Mar 4, 2011

We are asked for a donation ($10 - 20, I believe) but everyone is included.

9. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

Mar 4, 2011

Oh - I should add that sometimes in the middle of the year, the committee will send out an email that their funds are dwindling and ask for some more money.

And I just remembered that they do wellness activities too - like sponsor yoga class after school... that kind of thing.

And they worked hard to turn our faculty room into a more welcoming space... painted... couches, etc. We call it the "bistro" now. LOL

10. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Mar 4, 2011

We like the potlucks, because we are required to eat lunch with our students everyday at their table. The potlucks are a great chance to get away...even though we still are in the cafeteria, but at our own table.

I hate eating lunch everyday with my kids. I like the freedom of using that time as a reward. I like having small group lunches in my room as special rewards for good behavior. Plus, some teachers totally ignore what is happening at their table. I realize I have a small class and it is easier for me to stay on top of it.

No, we don't pay any money. Our office uses the money earned for candy sales to flowers during death or sickness. Then for other things we take up donations on a need to need basis.

11. begood:)

Mar 4, 2011

Oh honey... I am so sorry! We are lucky enough to have aids that monitor the lunch room so the teachers can regain their sanity for the afternoon. We are blessed in that way! Your school needs to make it a happy place to be. It sounds like they are trying to drain you from peace and lack the skills to motivate the teachers.
    :(

12. begood:)

Mar 4, 2011

Our school district has a Wellness Committee that encourages the district. Our school did have a boot camp instructor come in and work with us. We got tired of paying to workout. I am in the process of becoming a Jazzercise instructor and have thought about offering classes 2 times a week at school. I still have several months before completion though. That will be for next year!
    I like the "re-decorating" the lounge area... we call it our "Cafe" but it doesn't really feel like one. I would like to get a small committee together to redo that space. May be a summer job!?!