Horseshoe Desk Arrangement?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by 773 Miles Away, Mar 26, 2010.

1. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Mar 26, 2010

I have 24 students and I think I want to try the horseshoe desk arrangement. My class is incredibly chatty... and I've heard that this shape actually helps??

My room isn't too big though... is it even possible? I feel like the whole horseshoe would fill the room.

Does anybody have pictures of this arrangement??

3. WhatchaDoin?

WhatchaDoin? Comrade

Mar 26, 2010

I don't have any pictures, but you do have to be careful with a horseshoe arrangement. There's usually a back row that faces the teaching area, and two sides that face each other. The two sides can be a problem if they focus on each other, rather than the person speaking. The benefit is, the teacher can get in the center.
    Sometimes, I modified the horseshoe. I would have five desks at the back and six on each side. Then I might put a few at the front of the horseshoe, and maybe some in the middle.

4. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Mar 26, 2010

I had my kids at table teams (which is what my teammates do), but they told me "we are getting to loud and need to sit a different way"

I figured, if the kids are asking for a change, we should go with it!
    We've been in a horseshoe for a couple of months, and it really opens my room up a lot. We have much more space to work on the floor (which they really like to do)

5. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Mar 26, 2010

I do not have pictures, but I do have a horseshoe with 30 desks. I think along the two sides we have 6 desks then in the back 6 desks and then three rows of four. We have just about enough space to maneuver through and reach each student and conference with them- sometimes we do have to ask people to move in, but it functions. It is tough, but they were not working well in groups- it was time for a change, we just changed last week on Friday. It seems to have made a difference so far. The kids sure needed it!

6. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

Mar 26, 2010

I did this when I taught fifth... I had my desk in the front middle...on either side I had 7-8 desks facing eachother... Then in the middle I had 2 rows of 4 facing my desk. I LOVED this arrangement... But I like to change things up so every month or 6weeks I would completely move the desks around!:)

7. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 26, 2010

I have used a double horseshoe arrangement. The outer level has fewer desks closer together than the inner level. Kids who need more direction/supervision go inside. My chattiest get placed in such a way that they are not in direct eyesight of their friends.

8. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Mar 27, 2010

I had 24 grade three students in a horseshoe once... I absolutely loved it. I did need to put four desks just in front of the back row of the horseshoe, to be able to fit everyone in... but it gave me sooooo much space that I absolutely loved it!

9. 773 Miles Away

773 Miles Away Comrade

Mar 27, 2010

So how was it set up exactly, 8 in the backrow, 6 on both sides, and 4 in the middle?

I will have to move some desks around to check to see how big my horseshoe will be.

I did one last year but I only had 14 kids! And at each corner, I actually had an aisle so kids could come and go. I think I might have to close it off?

10. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Mar 27, 2010

With mine having 30 desks, I still had space to have an aisle to come and go, but only on one side- the other side was beside our carpet area, so we could not have an aisle over there, not enough space.

11. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Mar 27, 2010

I don't recall exactly how it was set up. I had an aisle going through the middle of the horseshoe, and I know that one end of the horseshoe was longer than the other, since my desk was in the corner of the room.

12. HeatherY

HeatherY Habitué

Mar 29, 2010

I just did this. I have 21 kids. 4 in the front in the "middle" 7 or 8 across the back and 6 on each side. Something like that..... Groups were no longer productive so I changed it up.