Horrible parent teacher conference

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Bibliophile, Nov 16, 2015.

1. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Nov 21, 2015

Bibliophile, I agree you still proceed with caution around this mom, but I do like to think she is in earnest with what she told your p. She probably has a full plate and just lost her cool.

a2z likes this.
  2. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Nov 21, 2015

I hope this makes you feel a lot better about the situation. It is soooo not YOU and it is everything that is going on in that parent's life. Doesn't mean how she behaved is okay, so I'm glad to see that you are getting your admin involved and setting up healthy and professional boundaries. I hope that mom can figure out how she can change around things in her own life, so that her child can attend such a great school.

3. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Nov 21, 2015

Well I doubt too much has changed for the parent since he child still only attended 1 day this week but yes I do feel much better knowing that she really was upset with herself and just took it out on me becuase she was struggling with her feelings in the moment. Parenting isn't easy and we all make mistakes and get stuck in rock/hard place situations were your only choices are between bad and worse and even though you didn't go with worse you struggle with the ramifications of being stuck with bad. Her child is a smart, funny, hard working, creative it take person who is fun to be around so she is clearly doing many things right and I hope she knows that but yes we do need to keep professional boundaries. I do know of another student in my class though that lives next door to them and I was thinking of suggesting carpool but I didn't know if that was over stepping since she clearly knows that her neighbor has a child in our class. Would you suggest it or stay the heck out of if and focus on teaching the child when he shows up.

I'm also thinking of puting info on my class website about what our district considers truancy, what Ed code calls truancy and chronic absenteeism and an article about the effects of chronic absences in kindergarten on later academic achievement.

4. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Nov 21, 2015

It is not your place to suggest carpools. There may be a reason that the other parent didn't offer or this parent didn't ask.

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 21, 2015

I DO like the idea of using your classroom site a place where you can gently remind all students / parents of certain district rules, but please do not make it exclusively the ones regarding truancy. That makes it too clear that you are singling out this parent. Instead, pick four or five more that, together, will guide your students to the highest amount of success and engagement.

6. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Nov 22, 2015

Below is cut and paste from the newsletter that I'm writing. I send home a 2 page newsletter twice a month. I thought it might be good to include something in the newsletter about how chronic absenteeism can be a real problem in the winter especially since I have about 5 students in my class that have more than 10 absences this year already meaning that they are on track to miss more than 10 percent of instructional days if their pattern of attendance doesn't improve dramatically. However since I have a parent who is already hyper sensitive about this I'm worried that my wording will be seen as a personal attack so I'm just hoping to get some feedback on if it's ok.

Absences
    As the cold and flu season gets underway it is inevitable your child will get a bug at some point. We will have procedures in place to lessen the likelihood of spreading germs with frequent hand washing and cleaning surfaces. Please also talk with your child about covering their cough, using a tissue and washing hands.
    Your child should try to be in school everyday, even if they have a small cold. Your child only needs to stay home for: a fever over 100 degrees within the last 24 hours, vomiting within the last 24 hours, has a contagious infection and less than 24 hours of antibiotics use, or if they are so ill that they cannot participate in school. For most cases of the sniffles, or even coughs your child should still be able to come to school. Let me know if your child needs accommodations to be able to participate and attend school because of an illness and I will try my best to do what I can.
    Absences can have a major impact on learning and student performance. There are even studies that prove that chronic absences in kindergarten can have a lasting negative impact on performance and test score in third grade. Chronic absence is what it is called when students miss 10% of the school year. For our school that would be 18 days for the whole year. I will post an article about such a study on our class website for those interested.
    Also know that according to California Ed. Code students are considered truant after missing 3 days of school without a doctors note. Calling and saying your child is sick does not necessarily excuse absences according to the law. Schools have the right and responsibility to address the issue after 4 absences without a doctors note and the superintendent and advisory board must be notified. Additional absences can have legal ramifications for the parent.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 22, 2015

Most likely absenteeism is a school problem not unique to just your class. Perhaps a letter addressing this would be better received coming from admin or the school nurse?

Backroads likes this.
  8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Nov 22, 2015

It would also lessen the implication that it's coming from you to a specific student / parent.

9. Track70

Track70 New Member

Feb 4, 2016

I love the idea of sending a classroom newsletter to get parents and students all on the same page. What do you use to make the newsletter? I'm assuming it's online? I've heard of some teachers using Lucidpress since it's free for education, but just curious.

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Feb 4, 2016

How do you get paid by this company? Is there a way to track site visits from a post?

11. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2016

I just use Word. Nothing fancy. I teach upper elementary, though, and do it mainly through e-mail and put onto our classroom "web"site, so that might make a difference.