Horrible Nappers!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by pabef, Aug 15, 2019.

1. pabef

pabef Comrade

Aug 15, 2019

I don’t mind if my kids don’t nap as long as they lay quietly, but I have kids that jump off their nap cots (off and on) and talk all during nap I try to remain calm, but today I am my wits end. Any suggestions?

3. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 15, 2019

What age are your students?

4. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Aug 15, 2019

I used to walk around and put stickers on the foreheads of the kids that were sleeping. It made the nonsleepers stay on their cots and try to sleep so they could get one too. If they were quiet and on their cots the whole time, I'd give them a sticker too at the end of naptime.

I know there are people who are anti rewards, etc. But sometimes, you gotta do what you gotta do for your own sanity.
    Reinforce positive behavior.

5. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Comrade

Aug 16, 2019

Oh, I wish we could have nap time at school. Some of my kids stay up all night playing video games.
    Plus, I am getting tired. lol
    I am not into rewards, but if putting a sticker on a kid's forehead made the others sleep and quit jumping, I'd cave.

6. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Aug 17, 2019

Their brains don't want to quit learning since jumping off and on the cot or talking are brain stimulating activities at this age. Worse yet, it sounds as if these activities are becoming a habitual part of the napping process. Perhaps a slight change in procedures prior to the nap will make lying still the habitual activity. Maybe an activity song or movement game will help. Raffi's Shake My Sillies Out is running through my head right now. Then as a group they can lie still, perhaps relaxing different parts of their body; I don't think I'd try complete progressive relaxation as one or two kids might have physical difficulties with this and upend the whole process, but just choose a part of the body, such as the hands, then feet or legs. Perhaps this could be led in a story method, the same story each day, becoming kind of a Pavlovian type of stimulus for napping. Or a quiet song could be played at the beginning of naptime.

ChildWhisperer and bella84 like this.
  7. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Aug 17, 2019

Ah yes, a lot of gross motor before lunch. And I always started the calm/naptime music DURING lunch to help them get in a sleepy mood :D
    (Assuming your naptime is right after lunch)

Obadiah and SpecialPreskoo like this.
  8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 17, 2019

Start early. Dim those lights, play sleepy music.

9. pabef

pabef Comrade

Aug 20, 2019

Thanks for the answers! I like trying a movement activity before. I do dim the lights and start calm music during lunch.