Horrible Experience W/HS Science Class

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Suburban Gal, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Feb 27, 2007

I went back to subbing a little earlier than planned and took my first assignment last Friday afternoon. The first class, Environmental Bio, class was okay, but the class after it, a Chem/Phys class of freshman, was absolutely horrible.

I was honest with them upfront and told the kids as long as they respected me, I'd respect them and boy, did they throw the whole respect thing right out the window!!!

For the entire class, all these kids did was act jerky on me. They refused to listen, went after each other with rulers, wrestled, wandered around the classroom, and even walked out on me several times. In fact, I was kind enough to let some kids go to the library top study during the second 45 minutes of class as long as they reported back before the end of the day. A few were kind enough to return, but I never heard from the others. It really got under my skin because I was trying to be nice, which is why I was really upset when most of the remaining kids told me they had to go for track or baseball stuff and then walked right on out the door on me!!!

Looking back at all this, I'm still in a bit of shock because the kids with D113 are normally good kids who give me ZERO problems so I just couldn't understand why I was experiencing this kind of "grief" from them.

I love this district and was happy they placed me back on the sub list. However, I've become a bit worried they'll drop me and never call me again.

So, I'm open for any thoughts, comments, or advice from others as to what I should've done better to handle the class and if I should call the district [about this] to find out what's what and where I stand or if I should simply sit back and wait to see if they call me again.

3. Suburban Gal

Feb 28, 2007

Anyone? :confused: Anyone at all?

4. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Feb 28, 2007

Next time start off mean and have them earn their privileges. Think of how you train a puppy, where all privileges are a gift from you that can be revoked. Be consistent. Science is a fun class, however there are kids who do not appreciate all that it has to offer. If you have the opportunity to plan for the class try to fit in a demo as a reward – just let them know up front that you have a book of matches and you’re going to show them a neat trick towards the end of class – if they are good. Of course, if they lose the demo give them the opportunity to earn it back. Sometimes, (like when it is a full moon) even the best kids can be a bit squirrely.

5. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Mar 1, 2007

Elizabeth,
    I had a very similar situation in the class I subbed for on Tuesday of this week. I was laughed at by the students when I asked them to quiet down and they talked back to me when I would tell them not to do something like throwing paper or pencils. This was a group I had subbed for plenty of times in the past with no problems. I just felt like I couldn't get a handle on them all day. Then during the prep for that teacher I was sent to teach for a different Language class. This was equally as horrible! In both classes there was no seating chart, so that made it very hard to keep order. There was a classroom assistant in the 2nd classroom and at one point I went up to her and asked her for help calming them down and getting them to do their work and she just looked at me like I was nuts and said "I'm sure Mrs. B would like you to give them the homework page, and go over it." Well, they had the homework already, and she didn't really seem too phased by the classes behavior. She just kept on her merry way helping the 3 students with the work that they were working on.

I took a blank piece of computer paper and sat in front of the class and started writing a note to the teacher. I let them know that I was writing to their teacher and it would be easy for me to include any names at this time for bad behavior. (kind of a bluff really, I had no seating chart!) I said at this point, you all deserve your name to be put down, but if you are quiet and work on your assignments for the rest of the period I would not include any names. They were QUIET!! Why didn't I do this 30 minutes earlier?

Well, I went home in a horrible mood and I was bi@#$y toward my husband all night. I was anticipating the next day because I had a social studies class scheduled with the same school and grade that I had done on Tuesday. Let's just say I was NOT looking forward to it. Well, I ended up calling off because my daughter got sick. I hope I didn't sound too happy when I called my gatekeeper...I decided to take the rest of this week off. I just need some time to recharge. I am enjoying the time.

I think sometimes the students go in spurts of acting like maniacs. I have found that toward the end of the week they are worse. Mondays are usually good days. It is possible that the day you had with this science class was a fluke. On the bright side, as a sub, you have a choice whether or not to go back into that class. I have left notes for teachers before saying I felt for them because they were facing the class every day, and I wouldn't come back to that class for anything! You are a commodity that is in need. Think of yourself as an important part of the school. Take pride in your job. I can almost guarantee that you will certainly be called again. The way the students acted toward you says something negative about THEM, not you. You were there doing your job and trying your best. That is all anyone can ask of you.

6. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Mar 1, 2007

For classes like this it is probably best to walk around and put aout small fires (discipline problems) before they become big ones. You could have asked the kids to hand you the rulers or put them away.As for the library I would have limited it to two, three, or four.
    As for the kids saying they had athletic stuff to do you might let three out and tell the rest to sit down. Sometimes you just have bad classes. Another thing you might do is put them on a good list.
    You can tell them if they are great that you will make this list for the teacher. Also there is a book called Substitute Survial Kit Grades 6-12 by John Sullivan. It gives you great strategies for lesson plans and discipline. There is also a book of the same title for grades k-5 also. I use both and they are very helpful. I am sure the district will keep you. You usually have to be banned from 3 schools to be taken off the sub list. Good luck! Terry G.

7. ryman

ryman Rookie

Mar 2, 2007

What I do when I sense the students think they can get away with unacceptable stuff like this is get in front of the class and call for silence. If some students aren't listening I just stare at them until they are and keep doing that until everyone is listening. Usually they quiet down pretty quickly.

I then remind them that discipline for bad behavior with a sub is worse than with the regular teacher and that I am supposed to leave a list of names of students who will get detention/Saturday school. If it's later in the day I tell them that several students through the day have gotten Saturday school (this makes it more real).

This is usually enough to make them quiet down. Especially if I go to the desk and start writing. Then, everyone thinks I wrote their name down. They then promise to be good for the rest of the period if I would only consider taking their name off the list.

8. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Mar 2, 2007

I have to disagree with teresaglass. It seems when I roam the room putting out small fires other fires get out of control. I would say to address the class as a whole works much better for me.

Just another opinion!

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 2, 2007

I agree, I found it easier to address the whole class. I also, never hestitated to call for help if I needed it. And when the teacher used to leave movies. One did that all the time. I made the kids take notes. Only way I could keep them under control.

10. Suburban Gal

Mar 2, 2007

I think I'll start doing those things too. I rather like the ideas. Thanks!

P.S. --- You were right sub&mom. The district called me back to sub this morning, however, I had to turn it down since I was scheduled to sub 7th Grade Math with another district so now I feel much more better about my standing with D113.

11. sub&mom

sub&mom Companion

Mar 2, 2007

I'm glad the calls are still coming in for you! I've loved the posts in this thread. Lots of great ideas!

Take care.

12. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Mar 4, 2007

I subbed for a 6th grade math class in a charter school. I made a good list of the students who acted positive and did their work. This helped to control the class. Terry G.

13. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Mar 19, 2007

this sound silly, but any day that I am NOT in a classroom is a bad one. :: sigh:: I miss the classroom !!! I have 8 more weeks to fulfill for a banking sub job, and then I hope to be in my own classroom.
    On the other hand, any day that I was crazy enough to go out my door without my emergency sub plan kit was a horrible day waiting to happen!! On my honor, I swear, I will NEVER leave this house without atleast my own supplies, and a heavy dose of back up plans!!
    How bout ya'll???