horrible autism day

Discussion in 'Special Education Archives' started by Shea Logan, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Shea Logan

Shea Logan Rookie

Sep 9, 2002

Hi...

I guess I am venting, but if anyone has a suggestions please let me know. This morning went well with my 8 students with autism (ages 12-15, ranging in abilities). However the end of the day was a nightmare!!!! I was out on my prep and the teacher who covers worked on a reading group with 2 students, while the rest did spelling and handwriting. When I came back to the room it was out of control. Two students left for their mainstream classes (taking 2 paraprofessionals with them) and it was just myself and a paraprofessional in the room.
    We had a group activity that involved exploring the newspaper. Two of the students enjoyed it and did well. The others needed prompting to work on the activity, some needed prompting to just stay seated. Two were self talking and singing and it was out of control. Obviously, I lost them!! I am not sure if it was boring or because it was the last period of the day, but it was awful.

Does anyone have an end of the day (20 minute) activity? Perhaps something hands on... Please let me know.

Thanks
    ~Shea

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Sep 9, 2002

I understand what you went through. I also teach autism, but my students range from 5 to 12 years old. I hate the last 20 minutes of school because we are waiting for the bus and it never arrives at the same time each day. Have you tried a video? You could get a video on something they are working on, or something they like as a reward. Hope this helps. Some major video rental stores provide free cards and video rental to schools.

4. Sandi

Sandi Guest

Sep 10, 2002

A program that works well in my son's classroom is Bal-A-Vis-X. It was developed by a teacher in the area and has proven helpful in gaining longer attention spans on all children including special education students (even autistic individuals). An added plus is it also helps them to relax.

The following site will tell more about the program:

http://www.bal-a-vis-x.com/

Sandi

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Oct 3, 2002

I also teach children with autism and the last 20 minutes of the day was crazy! I started a music quiet time where I turned off the lights played new age music like dolphins or water running, My favorite cd was form Wolfgang he plays the electic harpsicord, and we smoothed scented lotioon an the childrens' hands. This was a gentle massage. All the students loved it and remained in their sseats until the lights went on. All the adults in the room enjoyed it also.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Oct 5, 2002

Thanks for replying, your idea sounds great. How old are your students? Mine are teenagers, do you think that it would be appropriate for me to do this(rub their hands with lotion)? I think that they would enjoy it.

During academics, we listen to Beatles for Babies (which is the instumental music for some of the Beatle's greatest hits. The students love it!

Thanks again for you idea...

~Shea