Horrendous, Horrendous Night Tonight!

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 26, 2011

My mom wanted to go to the ER because she gets this bad feeling that comes on every several months for yrs. It's not really dizziness or lightheadedness, but those are the closest words to describe it. She also feels as if she might fall. She's gone to the ER about it in the past, but this time, they did a CAT scan which came back normal, but the EKG showed a silent heart attack & there may be damage to her heart, so they kept her overnight for observation. Woah, my health nut mom! We're just glad it wasn't a full heart attack, in which maybe all her daily walking & eating right for yrs prevented that.

Meanwhile, while I'm in the ER sitting at my mom's bedside...

my dad, is waiting out in the waiting rm (because they only allow 1 person in the back w/ the patient). He doesn't walk the best due to a spinal issue that he had 2 surgeries on, but could get by without a cane. Well, he tripped on a rug out in the ER waiting rm & fell while on his way to the restroom & got pretty banged up...laceration on his head that needed stitches, a very bad scrape on his arm, & a few other scrapes. His glasses got scratched up. They took pics of my dad's injuries & the security guard took a statement. I happened to have my camera in my car at the time & took pics too of him & the waiting rm area where he fell. My dad was released to go home, which I drove us home.

So imagine BOTH of my parents EACH in a bed in the ER! I'm an only child, so here I am sitting between them both! :(:(:(

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 26, 2011

Oh, you poor thing!

Thank goodness everyone will be OK.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 26, 2011

What a night! Let us know how they both are this morning.

5. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jan 26, 2011

:hugs: to you Ms. I besides being very stressful, I am sure it was also scary. I pray that all is well with both of your parents.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jan 26, 2011

Yes, many many hugs. Hoping today is much better!

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jan 26, 2011

Wow, that must have been scary! Hope today goes better and that everyone is on the mend!

8. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2011

Wishing you a peaceful day today!

9. fast chalk

fast chalk Comrade

Jan 26, 2011

Ms.I,
    Hope your parents get better soon.
    I´m an only child, too, so I do understand you. Today you ´ll be a little bit more relaxed.
    Please, keep us w updates about them.
    Hugs.

10. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jan 26, 2011

Good Morning Ms. I,

I am so sorry! This is no fun at all. If you went into work today I wish you such an easy and smooth day.

I will be praying for your family. :hugs:

11. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Jan 26, 2011

What an awful night! Is everyone home now?

12. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 26, 2011

:hugs: Thank you very much for your kind words and prayers! And in advance to those who post after this! :)

I last talked to my mom when she called this morning. She said she feels OK. She'll be having an MRI. I sure hope she comes home today!

My dad's all dressed & says he feels fine, but his hand has a prickly sensation. That's the hand he fell on to help break his fall.

At 12:30am, I told my district that I wouldn't be in today. Hopefully, I'm back tomorrow.

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 26, 2011

Oh, Ms. I, I hope both are doing okay this morning.

14. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jan 26, 2011

Oh Ms. I, what a night. I feel for you and sorry that happened all in one night. I hoep you all get the rest you need today to recharge and God Bless You and your parents. Take care.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 26, 2011

Hugs, Ms. I.

16. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 26, 2011

I send good thoughts your way. It is tough being an only child. As your parents get older, you will be called upon more and more. Stay strong.

17. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jan 26, 2011

:hugs: You're parents are in my thoughts, Ms. I.

18. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jan 26, 2011

:hugs: I hope today was a better day!

19. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jan 26, 2011

Goodness! Sending positive thoughts your way. Hang in there!

20. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jan 26, 2011

Good grief! When it rains, it pours! I'm so sorry this happened to your family. Tell your parents they've got lots of teachers pulling for them (and you!)

21. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jan 26, 2011

Exactly what Blue said ........ Many hugs to you Ms. I...... You have to be strong and you have to be tough....:love:

22. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 27, 2011

:hugs: Thanks again for your prayers & kind thoughts!

Another dr said that she didn't have any kind of heart attack thank God. But, she had to end up spending a 2nd night in the hospital & if the results from a stress test is good, she can come home that day (today). She doesn't walk that surely & feels woozy & at times, she gets sudden dizzy/lightheaded spells.

Both of my dad's hands/fingers are in some pain & have that prickly sensation. My mom & I think he should have an xray of his hands. Thank God he didn't have much more serious injuries from his fall, especially at his age & in his condition.

You better believe we're going to get a personal injury lawyer. Even one of the ER nurses said she knows of people who've tripped on that rug. She said even she's tripped on it.

23. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jan 27, 2011

Yes many hugs to you

I am kind of trying to picture you in between the beds
    "mom how are you?"
    "Dad How are you?"
    "ok my turn, got a bed for me?"

I think that kind of pegs the stress meter I hope you took the day off your parents need you to be their ray of hope

24. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Jan 27, 2011

Hugs and prayers.

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 27, 2011

How's everyone today?

26. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jan 27, 2011

I hope that all goes well and your mother can go home today. I was in the hospital for 18 days in October and it was the roughest on my children. Sounds like a lawyer is the route to go and it won't hurt for dad to get an x-ray that way all bases are covered.

27. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jan 27, 2011

I hope your mom and dad are both feeling better today, Mrs. I and that mom can come home today. I'm glad to hear the second doctor doesn't think your mom had a heart attack, but do they have any idea what was causing the lightheadedness and dizziness?

Sounds like your dad took a pretty bad tumble in the ER if he needed stitches. My mom also fell in the hospital while my dad was a patient after his health declined. She was on her way to the cafeteria for breakfast and slipped in the hallway. She got a couple of bad bruises, but nothing too serious. The hospital automatically ran X-Rays and an MRI, just too make sure nothing was damaged.

Is the hospital not paying for your dad's treatment? I'm just curious about why you would need a personal injury lawyer. Hospitals are usually very cognizant of their liability in such a case and provide all the treatment and tests necessary for the injured party.

In my mom's case, she just slipped. The hallway wasn't wet and there was no rug, she just took a bad step, but the hospital still insisted on the tests and a brief observation by one of the doctors to make sure she was alright.

Hope everything gets better very soon.

28. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jan 27, 2011

I just saw this thread! How horrible. What are the doctors saying today?

29. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 27, 2011

Thank you again everyone for your comments. My mom had a stress test & a couple other extensive tests today in which nothing was found. She was released at 6:30pm this evening. She's incredibly glad to be home of course! Neither she nor the doctors can really explain why she gets this wooziness/dizziness/lightheaded type feeling. :confused: But, she's been told she has a slow heartbeat.

My dad's hands are in some pain. I don't know if it's constant or comes & goes. Yes, the hospital took an MRI & will cover his care, but I'm sure they'll be expecting a lawsuit. Now, my parents & I aren't money-grubbing people by any means, but the rug should have been tacked down to the floor so it doesn't buckle, roll up, etc. He fell badly right in front of a room full of people waiting to be seen by a dr & the security guard's desk, but I don't know where the guard was at the time it happened. By the questions he asked, it sounds like he was occupied & didn't see it...or is pretending not to have seen it.

Does anyone know of a good personal injury attorney in southern California?

30. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Jan 27, 2011

I'm glad your mom got to come home. It's always easier to rest and recover at home than in the hospital. Sorry the tests didn't give any insight to what is causing her episodes.

As for the rug, why should the hospital expect a lawsuit if they are covering his care? :confused: If the rug were tacked down to the floor, how would the hospital get it cleaned? Most facilities use a supplier that picks up the old rugs and puts down new ones once a week or every other week. The company then takes the old rugs back to their warehouse for steamcleaning to remove grime and kill germs that vacuuming doesn't get. All of these rugs (usually) come with rubber backing to prevent slipping and add weight to hold the rug and edges in place. This rubber backing is specifically made to meet OSHA standards (I worked in hospital purchasing for 13 years).

I'm very sorry your dad fell and got hurt, but I can already see some problems with any lawsuit. First of all are the safety standards which the rugs surely meet. Secondly, your father has a condition that causes mobility issues and was not using a mobility aid (cane). Just because he can get around without one doesn't mean he should walk around without it, especially being elderly and having two surgeries already for the condition. Also, don't expect the ER nurse to officially repeat her statement about the rug unless she already has another job lined up.

Since the hospital is covering your dad's care, I'm curious to know what else you want to gain from a lawsuit? Punitive damages? For what? Having a rug available to reduce the dirt tracked into the ER waiting room?

If you DO decide to follow through with the lawsuit, you can be assured of a few things. First and foremost, the hospital will have done all the CYA documentation necessary to show the fall was not their fault. Their lawyer will be going over the incident with a fine-tooth comb to expose any culpability your father had. (S)he will definitely be highlighting your fathers' age, spinal condition, past surgeries and the deliberate choice he made to walk without an assistance device despite these serious risk factors.

Finally, the fact that the hospital is covering all of his costs - even though they could likely show the fall was his fault - will most likely be more than enough for the judgment to be in their favor. If they want to be vindictive about it, they could possibly turn around and then charge your father for all the care he has received in addition to court costs.

I hate to be the spoiler, but I'm speaking from personal experience. During my last hospital stay, I came very close to dying due to negligence on the part of the nurses monitoring my care after I had to have a second surgery in 4 days. As a result of their negligent actions, I was in a coma for 3 days and spent an extra 4 weeks in ICU recovering from the damage done. We documented EVERYTHING and contacted a number of lawyers regarding the issue. We were finally told that, unless I had lost a limb, suffered permanent and irreparable harm or actually DIED, there really wasn't much use pursuing the case.

Personally, I think your best option is to let the hospital cover the care needed for your dad to fully recover (which could include some extended care and even PT for his hands and arm) and let it go at that.

31. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 27, 2011

Cerek, well we'll just see what happens. If you're right, you're right. My mom wants to look into it & is telling me to start looking into it, so if they say we have no case, so be it.

(And just to let everyone know, I hope for this to not turn into a debate or lecture about why are we looking to sue, how we should be grateful it wasn't worse...yes we realize that, etc. :))

Thanks again everyone for your comments & good thoughts!

32. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jan 28, 2011

Ms. I , I am glad that your mI know other made it home safely. It seems like your father will need some type of therapy to get hand working to pre -accident status. I will keep you in my thoughts as I know your job isn't easy as.an only child who has both parents who are ailing. As a word of advice, make sure you take care of yourself.

33. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2011

Ms. I~glad that your mom is home and can rest there instead of the hospital.

34. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 28, 2011

Thank you! I'm so glad it's Friday! I'm going to relax all weekend! Even my BF, who I see every weekend is visiting w/ his brother, so I can really catch up on all the shows I've DVR'd. I brought Chinese food home for dinner so no one has to cook.

It's hard to make my parents rest, especially my dad. He's been retired for a long time now & my mom since last Feb, but they still wake up at 5am 7 days/wk & my dad is always doing something around the house. He couldn't sleep in & rest all day if you paid him!

At this point, I'm more worried about my dad than my mom. My mom felt OK/pretty good today. My dad, OK. His laceration bled extremely heavily the night it happened, the next day, no bleeding, but then the next two days, it's been bleeding a lot again. My mom had to take him back to the dr today to redo his bandages.

35. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jan 28, 2011

My guess is that he played the good patient that first day. From what you've said, by day 2 he was up and about, and that's what started the bleeding.

Is there something on TV-- a game, a movie, anything??-- that you can use to plop him down and stay there? A jigsaw puzzle? A book or magazine?

36. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 28, 2011

He's so incredibly stubborn. If he wants to do something, he'll do it & no one can change his mind. He many times downplays his pain or how he feels in general (way before this incident) because I guess he doesn't want us to worry. He's like a lot of other men out there. Won't go to the dr unless he REALLY has to. He also has glaucoma & is very blurry in one eye, so he's also practically blind in that eye because he delayed going to the opthamaologist. His vision would have been better if he went in a lot earlier.

37. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jan 28, 2011

Hope they get better soon!

38. Lindager

Lindager Companion

Jan 28, 2011

Ms. I Glad to see your Mom is ok and home. I know what you mean about your father, my mother insist on doing everything herself and even at 80 when she saw the filter on the furnace was dirty she climbed on a ladder and replaced it. We just need to appreciate that they are healthy enough to try.
    I hope your Dad is better soon and enjoy your well deserved weekend of rest.

39. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 29, 2011

Yep, my dad was the same way. He had a heart attack or something one night, but would not go to the hopital because it was night time and he did not want to disturb the doctors. Well, he did go the next morning, and they threw him on a gurney and put in a pace maker in the lobby.

40. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Jan 29, 2011

Once again, I hope both of their health continue to improve. Get yourself plenty of rest, you deserve it.

Blue, now that's something, not wanting to disturb the dr. You should have told him that they are getting paid to be disturb. His case could have turned out a lot worse.

Take care, Ms. I.

41. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 29, 2011

Thanks again guys for the good thoughts! My dad's nose has been bleeding since the 2nd day after the incident. My mom had him soak his hands in warm water & epson salt last night. His laceration w/ the stitches is still bleeding.

My mom went out for a while yesterday & probably will today. She'll be back to her daily morning hour walks soon.