Hormones. Help, please. :-D

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Nov 14, 2008

What do you do about hormonal students? Do you say anything to them? It drives me nuts when kids get all googly-eyed and talk in singsong voices around who you know is their "crush". Please help... it's just... not easy for me to address. I don't know what's in my place to say, if anything at all. From what I know, it's not affecting their grades, but it's affecting the way they communicate with others (ignoring some people/being all smirky around others, blushing/acting air-headed towards me). :dizzy:

3. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Nov 14, 2008

It's all part of growing up and finding yourself. If it's not affecting grades or disrupting the classroom atomosphere, I would overlook it. However, if it gets to the point of ridiculousness, I would pull the offending student aside and just let them know what your impression is as an outsider and that you know it's not who they really are. Let them know you've been there, but the best way to impress someone is to not change who you are for anyone--the ones who are worth it will notice you for the right reasons.

4. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Nov 14, 2008

The year that I taught 4th this problem drove me crazy. I had a talk with the whole class and told them that if they "like" someone or a have a boy-friend or girl-friend then they need to worry about it outside of the classroom, and if it impacted anything class-related, we would have parents in for a discussion. It seemed to work for the most part. :rolleyes:

5. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Nov 15, 2008

Is there some sort of injection available?

:lol:

6. cmw

cmw Groupie

Nov 15, 2008

:lol: We have 1 class where this is a real issue b-c it does affect their work. They write notes & signs to eachother, constantly talk about who their girl is, and have even done arms around eachother. :eek: It has led to inappropriate touching & a parent complaint. I forbid it in my room. I've actually called 2 of the girl's parents to alert them to the issues & they were very happy I did so.

7. adellesmama

adellesmama Companion

Nov 15, 2008

Whoa. This is a disturbing trend, and I'm seeing a little of this in our second grade kiddos this year despite the talk we all have with them about "love" and girlfriends/boyfriends being inappropriate in second grade...I don't even remember liking boys at this age...it was probably more like "Ew!" when I was at that point.

Personally, I blame Hannah Montana and High School Musical. :lol:

8. each1teach1

each1teach1 Cohort

Nov 15, 2008

Ha! It took me a second to realize you guys were talking about elementary kids. Teaching high school, I was like "They're ALL hormonal. I'd never get to teach if I was constantly trying to get them to cool down". I did declare my room as a no touch zone though, much to their chagrin. "NO ONE TOUCHES ANYONE!"

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Nov 15, 2008

Did anyone read the thread talking about words on little girls' butts? Directly related here. Society has oversexed girls in general, and this is the result. Sad.

10. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Nov 15, 2008

It's a huge problem in the 5th grade at my school...and the fourth, and in the third....oh, and for some second graders, too. They grow up too fast!

11. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Nov 15, 2008

Same here. My reply was from a grade 7/8 teacher's perspective. Hugging/touching of any kind are strictly off limits in my room.

12. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Nov 16, 2008

They do not touch, but I have witnessed "boys chase girls" and vice-versa at recess. I don't want this to get to the point where it distracts work, though.

13. Prof. Mat

Prof. Mat Rookie

Nov 17, 2008

when i was in school a freind of mine told me she was going through her period one of my old students said the same any advice on what to tell her?

14. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Nov 19, 2008

I can just say to the mom, "Your son is a walking hormone." Do you think THAT would slide?!? :toofunny: Hehehehehe...