Hoping I did the right thing

Discussion in 'General Education' started by lucybelle, Dec 12, 2012.

1. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Dec 12, 2012

Yesterday I made a post about parents getting angry at mistakes. Well one parent was mad because I put a test question on something that was not in the book. I asked what do arthropods breathe with? Now this is a 3rd grade class so I was looking for "lungs or gills", I accepted either or both. (the kid in question answered "scales") She was mad because it wasn't written in the book, but as I began to think about it, the kid should have been able to come up with the answer. We studied so much about arthropods, where they live, and what animals on the land or water use to breathe with. So I consider it a fair question, especially since most of the kids got it right.

So I wrote her and said I'd give her kid the point, but explained that even though it wasn't in the book we did talk about it in class and it was a fair question. The point I gave her didn't change her final grade in the class.

Thoughts?

3. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Dec 12, 2012

I had a parent upset after our first science test of the year last year when her daughter did poorly. She wanted me to send home the page numbers that all the answers could be found on. I explained to her that we are teaching the students to think scientifically and apply the information they learn to different situations to answer the questions, and not just to memorize and recall basic facts.

4. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Dec 12, 2012

I tell my kids (and I've put it in writing) that anything we've discussed in class, or was in the notes, or in the HW, or in the book, can be on any test. Seems to have solved any problems...

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 12, 2012

Were arthropods and where they live in the book? If so, this is an excellent question to test above the comprehension level. Here the students need to go beyond just recalling and spitting out information in the book, they actually need to combine information with their own knowledge to answer this question.

6. kimberlyalice

kimberlyalice Rookie

Dec 13, 2012

You mean you don't have to give the students a "study guide" with all the questions and answers that will be on the test? :whistle: Jealous!!!

7. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Dec 13, 2012

I'm not sure why you'd ask this, since arthropoda is a huge and incredibly varied phylum, and many use neither lungs nor gills.

I really don't think you should be having students give incorrect answers that they've guessed at on a test and marking them correct.