Hopeless...Anyone else?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by wannateachtx, Jun 12, 2008.

1. wannateachtx

wannateachtx Rookie

Jun 12, 2008

I just feel hopeless. I wait and wait checking everyday for any new postings. Finally, a posting in my home district. I anxiously email the principal (again) letting her know my huge interest in the district. I finally get a reply from her and guess what it says! "I know you are anxious to get started on your first teaching job, but the committee will be looking for an experienced teacher" Blah, Blah, Blah, how will I ever get any experience if no one is willing to give me a chance. I am now trying to think of anything else I can possibly do in the fall with a MAT! I just feel completely hopeless. No interviews, no leads...just a lot of time to feel depressed about the whole thing. Guess I'm just needing to vent. It is just really bad to get your hopes up and have them shot down so many times. Sorry for the vent!

3. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jun 12, 2008

I feel exactly the way you do, wannateachtx. Except I am the experienced teacher, and I haven't had a single response to my applications, hand-delivered mini-portfolios, emails, or phone calls. What to do?.....I think I am going to stick my head in a hole for a while. :)

4. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Jun 12, 2008

I know how you feel. How do employers expect us to get experience if no one will hire us? I have 6 years of subbing under my belt, so I feel like the "no experience" excuse is a line of junk...I've had more experiences in the last six years than some full-time teachers. I want to tell them that I come with six years experience, and they don't have to pay me for any...so I'm cheap, which should be a plus with budget issues all over. Guess we just have to keep plugging along and eventually the job that was meant to be will find us.

5. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 12, 2008

wannateachtx -- don't feel hopeless. It is still early in the game. they are still reshuffling teachers who wanted to change grade levels, hiring from within, that sort of thing. DO NOT DESPAIR!

What area of TX are you in? Would you consider driving a little further out of your district to get a job like I did?

6. eCubed

eCubed Companion

Jun 12, 2008

No kidding, right? I had that same exact experience in ANY field. They ALWAYS want somebody with 5+ years experience. They ALWAYS prefer somebody with a Master's (OK, so I'll get one). Then you hear of people who work there with less experience and less credentials than you do :mad:, who don't even fulfill the so-called requirements. So, HOW dare they expect experience if NOBODY wants you to start in the first place, right? Connections are those people's keys to the door of landing their [education] jobs, at least for those I know of.

I just want to let you know that you are not alone in this unfortunate part of reality. Let's keep our hopes up and still seize every opportunity we can. Let's keep sending our resumes and cover letters. Above all, I hope you land in the district that is best for you. Take care.

7. wannateachtx

wannateachtx Rookie

Jun 12, 2008

Thanks for all the hopeful replies. I'm trying to keep my head up, but it's hard. I just wish I could get a shred of hope, ya know? This is going to be a really long summer I'm afraid! I'm in the DFW area, and I've applied everywhere, everywhere!

8. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 12, 2008

Just keep reminding yourself that more people will be resigning over the summer as they leave to join other school districts. There will be several rounds of resignations over the summer. I keep telling myself this as well!

9. MissErin

MissErin Comrade

Jun 12, 2008

I definitely feel you! I applied all over Iowa and now we're moving to Ohio, where I have to start all over again. Not to mention that the job market in Ohio is extremely tight. I'm kind of already losing hope for a full time job, and now I'm just hoping that if I sub for a year, then I will get a full time teaching job. It does suck, you spend all that time being in college and getting excited, and then you can't get a job. I always just assumed that part would be easy. I assumed wrong. =)

10. Superteacher81

Superteacher81 Comrade

Jun 12, 2008

Do not give up! Many, many people are hired later in the summer. It's still the beginning! Keep at it! Be persistent! Consider your options such as relocation, a farther commute, etc.

11. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 12, 2008

Network as much as you can -- let any your teacher friends know you are looking, and they will help spread the word.

Are you ACP or do you have an education degree? Let the people who helped in your education know you are looking, too. Sometimes they have leads AND can help you get your foot in the door.

12. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Jun 12, 2008

Have you tried this site? It's the list of openings for a number of districts in Region XI, which is mainly the western part of DFW.

https://www.searchsoft.net/ats/app_login.shtml?COMPANY_ID=00012139

Good luck!

ETA: You don't have to create an account to view the postings. Just click on the second link in the right-hand section.

13. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 12, 2008

wannateach-I know exactly how you feel. There have been about 7 positions in my home district alone that I have been qualified to teach and I've only gotten one interview, no offers. Outside districts have had about 15 positions, no calls, no nothing. Just keep plugging away. Like others have said, schools will continue to interview all through the summer. I remember last summer I had an interview in June, end of July, and there was a position filled a day before new teacher orientation.

14. eCubed

eCubed Companion

Jun 12, 2008

So, wannateachtx, NAIL DOWN your discipline plan and classroom procedures. Find, create, and collect ALL activities, lecture notes, pictures, videos, materials, websites, whatever you can. You never know that you'll be hired the week before school starts. This way, you're ready to begin the school year strong!

15. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Jun 13, 2008

This is true. We don't have to turn in resignations until 45 days before the first day of instruction. Since Austin has proclaimed that no districts may start until after the third week of August, that means the middle of July for most of us. People always wait until the deadline to do things, so there is still hope!

16. wannateachtx

wannateachtx Rookie

Jun 13, 2008

I'm trying to stay positive...but don't think it's working. I have a MAT, but no "teaching experience." Just seems with every day that goes by I feel more and more hopeless....

17. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jun 13, 2008

*hugs* wannateachtx. I am feeling the exact same way. I see my opportunities dwindling. I thought my experience, professional development, and educational contributions would help me get an interview. Along with the fact that I have revamped my portfolio, CL, resume and created an eportfolio. I made connections w/asst. super of one district and HR director of another. I haven't even had an admin. respond to me in any way. Yesterday I felt like crawling under a rock after another posting was removed.

It's hard to shake off sometimes, but we must keep plugging away. It may just be a situation where you have to start out as an aide or sub in a district. I think that may be what I have to do.

18. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Jun 13, 2008

You're in DFW. Where did you go to college? I know that UNT's career center offers career counseling, help with job placement, etc. I would recommend checking with your university to see of they offer those types of services.

19. wannateachtx

wannateachtx Rookie

Jun 13, 2008

I've even emailed my principal where I did my student teaching..(she wrote a great letter of rec for me.) She said of course..they are fully staffed for the upcoming year, but most changes occur during the summer...so guess it's going to be a wait and see summer. It's just hard explaining to people that no, I don't have a job lined up. Everyone says...yeah, and didn't you get your masters and you can't find a job?...and of course everyone is sold on the teacher shortage myth...everyone except all of us teachers who can't find a job..ha! When my dad calls, the first thing he asks is "well, heard anything about a job yet?...no dad! He says..well, just don't understand that with the shortage and all! I just keep telling him I'm in an area with several universities and lots of people getting certified in EC-4...but don't think he believes it...ha! Excuse my typing, etc. I have two little kids tugging on me and Sponge Bob blaring in the background!

20. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jun 13, 2008

I know what you mean. I just received my newest rejection letter! ::augh:: I too have been a substitute for 6 years, worked in alot more variety of schools and abilities than most teachers, administrators and district superintendents! Ithink we could all tell stories that would raise the hair on the back of Belezebub himself, given half a chance! Yet for some reason we keep coming back...
    wonder why that is??
    Missy99 , what is ACP?

21. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2008

Would we be totally wrong if we made 5 different resumes, and left something out of each one of them? :rolleyes:

I tell you, I had more jobs than I care to remember, but I do know that in many cases, leaving out stuff helped me get hired!!! Then, once I got my foot in the door...I said.."You know I have a certificate, and I could sub."

They look shocked. No, was that on your application?? Do we have a copy of your certificate on file??

:p

I think once you have been there awhile, it kinda knocks out any "fraud/lying on your application" nonsense. I don't consider it lying, just leaving out information that is not relevant to this position. :whistle:

22. munchkin

munchkin Cohort

Jun 13, 2008

what is a CL? How do you create an eportfolio? Share, please!! It sounds like you have a lot of great ideas!!:hugs: Boy,oh boy do I know what you mean about the job postings being removed!! I had literally just walked away from the interview table after talking to a district HR person who GAVE me the information, jumped on the phone and got told by the secretary that the position was filled, and they weren't even interested in taking any more resumes for future positions. I dropped one off, anyway the next day, turned the corner in the hall and WATCH her throw the packet in the TRASHCAN!!:eek: Even the so called shortage areas are drying up faster that water in a hot skillet around here!

23. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2008

Wow. That's horrible. I think that's why I decided to go back to school. I want to be needed. I want to go to a job fair and not stand in that elementary line where there are 200 teachers. I want to stand in the middle and high school line, where there is usually one person. I want them to actually have a conversation with me, rather than just say, we are not hiring, but we'll take your mini-portfolio and then never hear from them. Job searching right now is so tough. Especially with everything going on. In my school that I just left, they created combo classes so that they wouldn't have to hire new teachers. It's just stressful.

24. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2008

munchkin-ACP=Alternative Certification Program and CL=cover letter.

25. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 13, 2008

Hi-

I know exactly what you are saying here. Last year I tried to get in at a certain school. There were even parents coming up to me saying congratulations, they heard I got a job there. Well no I didn't. They would ask why, note the fact that I sub there everyday and all the kids love me yada, yada, yada. Then came the "have you tried other schools, other districts", and then the fact that those parents and everyone else didn't get why I didn't have a job in the midst of the greatest teacher shortage of all time. (yeah right!) I swear people truly believe that each teacher job is a vacancy every year. You practically have to spell it out for them. Then when you tell them where the shortages are they say things like, "well can't you just teach chem or physics then at the high school?" Um you don't want me teaching your kids physics...trust me on that one.

Another falacy is that there is no nepotism in education, or you don't need to know someone. FALSE FALSE FALSE

What made it even worse for me, emotionally, was that there were a lot of openings at this favorite school and all my interviews with the teams went great.

I can tell you though, that if I would have been hired last year, I would not be in the grade I was hired for because the person who got "my spot" had to move to a different grade right before school started. So I guess there is a silver lining.

You just have to keep plugging and realize that many people get hired the week before school starts.

eCubed's advice was great advice. A kinder teacher got hired at my school a couple years ago-2 days before meet the teacher nite- mainly by saying she was ready to go and could have her entire family there to make sure her room was "meet the teacher ready" in two days.

26. jw13

jw13 Groupie

Jun 13, 2008

Munchkin-My eportfolio is essentially a website with my portfolio materials on it. It has tabs for each area of content, with samples. :)

27. frogger

frogger Devotee

Jun 13, 2008

kind of...went to a job fair today - no one was interviewing just chatting us up and giving up info on the State and counties - they said to just contact the principals directly and give them resumes, etc., I have been doing that!

28. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 13, 2008

I have a new chapter to add to the interview saga. Not only are these child care centers xeroxing my life away, and making me a ghost employee, they are doing it to my friends too! I had a chance to meet up with a friend, and try to help her get back her personal papers from a school. We parked outside the site and my friend called and called but they said she was tied up. But the woman she was trying to reach for days called ME! When I wrote down her name, my friend's mouth dropped open! I tried hard not to laugh, when I asked her for her address, and I wrote it down, and my friend pointed out the window and said..."that's it across the street!"

Then, she called that woman back, and of course, she passed the buck, and said they were still interested, but if she could call the other HR person, and when she tried to reach her- she didn't answer, we saw that lady come outside for a smoke break!

I started whiting out my SS# and certificate number in my interview copies! If they just want to make a file, it won't matter, until they try something, and then the game will be on them! If they are serious and want me, they will take the time to look, and check for that. And if they ask me, I will say..yes, I have another copy, and when you give me a written job offer, I will give you copies of my stuff with my personal ID numbers!!

29. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Jun 13, 2008

Try to use your personnel contacts to help you get a position. Do you have any friends, relatives,ex-lovers,present significant others who can sell you to the principal in the school they work in?
    Don't be afraid to make yourself a pest,the worse they can say is no. Use contacts in the schools you have subbed in.A friend of mine just got a permanent job because a few students want to the Assistant Principal and told her you must hire this substitute as a regular teacher,he is fantastic.
    Don't give up.Teachers retire,change jobs,quit and leave all the time. Good Luck to everyone in their search for a job.

30. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Aug 6, 2008

What if I don't know anybody?

31. Yank7

Yank7 Habitué

Aug 6, 2008

Make Yourself Known!

Check out the schools in your area. Bring along resume,cover letters,samples of past student's work,anything that you think might help you. Try to be very friendly to the secretaries,they are important in suggesting ideas to the lazy administrators about who to interview. Sub in schools in which you would like to teach,if something opens up you are there.Openings occur during the year for various reasons,keep worling hard at showing them how much you want to work at a school.;)

32. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2008

Be your own a head hunter!

Today, I hung out with a teacher friend. I was sure we would visit her school, because she would be setting up her classroom. And we did, and her P and VP were there.

And when my friend introduced me, I gave my 30 second speech:

"Hi, (firm handshake) I am Master Pre-K and I am an Early Childhood Teacher. Here is my resume. I am looking for a position. I am interested in preschool, but very interested and willing to work as a kdg, 1-3 teacher."

Well, thanks..We don't have pre-k in this building, but I'll be happy to pass this on to my fellow principals! She grabs a pencil and scribbles something on it.

:)

Now, I am carrying my portfolio and a handful of resumes with me. It was so cool and natural, me wearing shorts a baseball cap, and NO makeup! It's summer, they are so relaxed, just regular people.

And so am I. Only difference is...

I don't have a job. So I am recuriting myself!

33. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Aug 7, 2008

Master Pre-K this is a great idea. I supposed to help my friend set up her room on Friday. I think that I will just happen to bring along a few copies of my resume.
    I already talked to the principal when she called for a reference and she seems extremely nice.
    Fingers and toes crossed everyone.

34. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 7, 2008

Crossing everything but my eyes! :crosseyed :lol: Good luck!!!

You know, we are so accustomed to looking polished at putting our best foot forward.

We forget that during this time a year, everyone just wants to be themselves. That is the best time to catch them! And we are more relaxed as well!