hope in CA?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by ahodge79, Jun 30, 2011.

1. ahodge79

ahodge79 Companion

Jun 30, 2011

Do you think there is any truth in this?

see video:

http://www.teachcalifornia.org/decide/oconnell2.html

"Hello! I'm Jack O'Connell the former State Superintendent of Public Instruction, and I want to speak with you today because I'm concerned about the future of teachers and teaching in the great state of California. We're living in very difficult times and budget cutbacks are affecting all aspects of our lives and funding for education is not being spared. Now school districts have had to issue pink slips and while we know that not all of these pink slips will ultimately result in layoffs, it is disheartening to think about all of the wonderful teachers who will not be returning to teach in this fall. Now many of you are probably wondering if you should continue your pursuit of a career in teaching. Now in the past you heard that California needs teachers but, with all the layoffs now, you may be asking yourself, "Will there really be teaching jobs in the future?" Now while I personally cannot guarantee you a job I can share with you five factors that we are predicting will create huge teacher shortages in the state of California and great teaching opportunities for you: Number one, nearly 100,000 veteran teachers are older than 50 and many of them are now eligible for retirement. Number two, we continue to have a shortage of special education, mathematics, and science teachers. Eleven percent of special education positions were unfilled in 2008 and a projected 33,000 math and science teachers will be needed in just the next decade alone. Number 3, enrollment in teacher preparation programs has declined by over 30% since 2004. Number 4, the number of teaching credentials has declined by more than 25% during that same period in time. And number 5, we are projecting a 4% increase in student enrollment during the upcoming decade. Now these 5 factors will result in an enormous deficit of highly qualified teachers unless you continue your pursuit of becoming a teacher. California has always attracted the most innovative and inspiring teachers. We must continue to build on the tradition and continue to recruit and retain teachers for our future. The state absolutely needs teachers! You can be a part of the future, whether you are currently a student, a para-educator, or a career changer. Make the difference of a lifetime - teach."

3. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jun 30, 2011

I just read about a bill that was just passed today they would prohibit/limit teacher layoffs. It is slated to become effective August 2011.

4. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2011

Not much truth at this time. Eleven percent of special education positions were unfilled in 2008 - he's using facts from 3 years ago. A lot has changed since then. My district has an overflow of special ed teachers for the first time this year. (I think it's due to so many hopeful teachers choosing special ed programs because there used to be a shortage.)

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2011

I'm over 50, but believe me, I'm not planning to retire anytime soon!