hope and dreams

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by kem, Aug 29, 2008.

1. kem

kem Companion

Aug 29, 2008

Do any of you who use RC and Hopes and Dreams have a good book that you use to introduce? It was so hard for me to explain to my K's last year what a hope or dream was, and I got a lot of "play with legos" or "go on the tire swing." I think that they get it a little more in first grade, but thought that a book may help too : ) Thanks!

3. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Aug 29, 2008

This may not be the answer that you are looking for, but I think that the answers that your K's gave are pretty typical for 5 year olds! That IS what they want to be able to do in kindergarten. From what I understand, the goal of the hopes and dreams project is to show them that whatever your hopes for this school year are, we will have some guidelines to make that happen smoothly. you want to play with leggos? Well in order for that to happen, we need to take care of the leggos, return them properly and on time, respect others when they ask to join you as you play with the leggos... Same for the tire swing. While those hopes and dreams may not seem very lofty, they are typical for your age group. You are helping them to look at thier personal ego centric needs, and figure out how it works within the group.

You can model for them what your dreams are, too. ex:"My hope is that everyone in this room will make new friends and try to do their best in school"

Now that I gave my piece about what I would expect from 5 year olds ... a book for this kind of project would be nice! Any ideas from other posters?

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2008

Could you explain hopes and dreams as wishes that could really come true? What do they wish they will get better at this year? What do they want to learn? What do they dream of being when they grow up? What is a wish for making the world a better place?

5. kem

kem Companion

Aug 29, 2008

I agree, those are typical answers and that is what we used and worked from...being safe, taking care of our things, etc. However, I know that there are some books actually recommended by RC-I just can't find that list : )