Honeywell Space Academy

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heatherberm, Feb 7, 2016.

1. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Feb 7, 2016

The second I got hired as a science teacher, I knew I was going to apply for Honeywell's Space Academy for Educators and I just found out I got accepted! Woooooo! I'm so excited, I just had to share. It's during most of our last week of school so I have my fingers and toes crossed that I'll be approved for the week off. Teachers in the district have gone before so I'm hopeful.

Anyone ever gone?

Peregrin5 and PallasAthena like this.
  3. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Feb 7, 2016

Congratulations! I haven't heard of this before but after looking at it, it seems like a blast! Alabama is a bit too far for me though.

We have lots of NASA sites here in California though too, I wonder if there is something similar.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 7, 2016

If I'm remembering correctly, Jem, a member who used to post frequently, went to Space Camp. You might be able go find some posts on her experience if you search her post history.

5. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Feb 7, 2016

Wow that sounds really cool! I'd love to do something like that! Maybe I'll apply next year.

What is the cost of the program?

6. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Feb 7, 2016

Thanks, guys! I'm really excited. :) I grew up in the Birmingham area so Space Camp was just a few hours away and something I always wanted to do SO MUCH as a kid. So this will be super, super fun. 10-year-old me is totally pumped.

lucybelle, if you get accepted through Honeywell for one of the two weeks they sponsor, it's free! They cover everything - airfare, lodging, food, and the cost of the program. There are weeks I think you can just sign up and pay for and when I looked at it earlier, I think the week was $895. And that, of course, doesn't include airfare from wherever you'd be coming from.

PallasAthena likes this.
  7. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Feb 7, 2016

I went a few years ago when I was teaching science. It was absolutely the best conference ever! Take a sweater or hoodie since the a/c was extreme. Also, they gave us a lot of stuff and I bought a lot at the gift shop, so pack light and save some room in the suitcase. Let me know if you have specific questions.

PallasAthena likes this.
  8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Feb 8, 2016

I went a few years ago, too. It was AMAZING!!!!!!!! I agree with packing light. (I packed a duffel bag in my suitcase and used it for some items as a carryon.) I'm still friends with a couple of people I met at space camp. It's a fantastic experience!!!

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Feb 15, 2016

I went through Honeywell. Best. Week. Ever. Seriously, it was career changing.