Homographs

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by bina1357, Oct 26, 2006.

1. bina1357

bina1357 Companion

Oct 26, 2006

Hi everyone,

I did a search of the forums here & found a few things on homophones/homonyms. But, I'm teaching homographs (spelled the same...sound the same...mean different)

I liked that Chocolate Moose book but it uses words spelled differently. My spelling unit this week is on words like fire/fire...homographs. Right? Ugh, they're so confusing.

Anyhow, any fun ideas for a lesson or 2 on homographs? My one Idea I have is to have them illustrate a homograph pair (like state/state or bun/bun). Then, I'd make a little book out of them.

Anything else you have, please send ideas my way!

Thanks!

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 27, 2006

I was always taught that homographs were spelled the same, but sounded different (record the music, a record of music, etc). Words that looked and sounded the same were just multi-meaning words. I never realized how gray all of that was until teaching. It seems there are a lot of different ways to look at it.
    To differentiate between homographs and homophones I teach my kids the hand signals - homo ~ one /then graph (I do my fingers like a on a keyboard and remind them of graphics on a computer for look) /or phone (I do my fingers like a phone for a phone for sound).

4. agsrule!

agsrule! Companion

Oct 27, 2006

homographs are words that are spelled the same but sound different and have different meanings

Ex: read a book now, read a book last night
    wind the string, wind is blowing
    record the movie, a music record or dr.'s records

Homophones are spelled different but sound the same

Ex: read, red
    heir, air
    night, knight
    there, their, they're
    pear, pair
    knew, new

homonyms are spelled the same, and sound the same but have different meanings

Ex: bank (a river bank), bank for money

stalk (celery) and stalk (follow someone)

5. AngelEyes

AngelEyes Rookie

Oct 29, 2006

Ok, now I'm totally confused :confused:

I was always taught that homophones (same sound) sound the same but can be spelled differently like 'bear' and 'bare;' that homonyms (same name) are spelled the same, but may or may not sound the same and mean different things like 'led' (did guide) and 'lead' (the metal); and homographs (same letters) are homonyms that are spelled the same like 'read' (present or past tense).???? I looked them up on online dictionaries and got conflicting info...

6. agsrule!

agsrule! Companion

Oct 30, 2006

Sorry, I meant homophones! I edited my post. Thanks for questioning it so I could be made aware of my mistake. I need to learn to proofread!