Homeworkopoly

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by lillebe, Aug 12, 2007.

1. lillebe

lillebe Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

i just finished making my Homeworkopoly board for my new room. I was just wondering what some of you use for the Brain Binder space. I know on the homeworkopoly page, they give you sheets to print out. I feel like most of these are probably too complicated for second graders to figure out without getting frustrated. I want that to be a fun space, not one that the kids dread landing on. What are some other ideas to use for a Brain Binder?

3. stephdaisy

stephdaisy Rookie

Aug 14, 2007

My students love playing Homeworkopoly. When a student lands on a Brian Binder, I usually make up a trivia question. For example: what is 2x2; when is my birthday?; or I will give them a question about something that we are learning. If they get the question correct I will give them some sort of surprise.
    Also, one little hint. I realized last year I didn't want the students to use any type of object that would puncture the gameboard. Mainly because I didn't want to have to print it out over and over each year. Instead, I had the students use the little stickys that are shaped like an arrow and placed their name on them. This worked wonderful.

4. StickyNotes

StickyNotes Companion

Aug 14, 2007

I taught a combo last year of 2/3 and when we did homeworkopoly I used the Brain Quest cards. I got them at Costco last year. They have questions for math, social studies, etc. I would choose a question that I thought was suitable for the particular child answering.

5. beachteach

beachteach Rookie

Aug 16, 2007

I used fun mazes, word searches, codes, and things of that nature. My kids loved landing on it!

6. mrsmuggins

mrsmuggins Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

Love these ideas! Do you all do it daily or weekly?

7. mrs100

mrs100 Comrade

Aug 22, 2007

I didn't know what to do with that space either, so I ended up creating cards that were just like the Chance or Lunchbox and I wrote questions about something we were studying. Like "Name three types of clouds" or "What is a noun?". Things like that. If they got it right, they got another turn.

8. 5thgraderocks

5thgraderocks Companion

Aug 22, 2007

I used Brain Quest Cards, too! Kids chose the subject!

9. lillebe

lillebe Rookie

Aug 23, 2007

I just brought those Brain Quest Cards, and I decided that I'm going to be using them for the brain binder spot also. If they get it right, they get another turn, if they get it wrong nothing happens. I'm excited about using Homeworkopoly in the classroom; I think the kids will love it!

10. just-n-educator

just-n-educator Companion

Aug 30, 2007

I might be living in a cave... I have never heard of homewokopoly?!?

Can someone give me some more info on it? is it played whole group or small, do I make it or buy it? Please help me get started :)

Thanks

11. LAH2

LAH2 Companion

Aug 30, 2007

12. just-n-educator

just-n-educator Companion

Aug 30, 2007