Homeworkopoly

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by JAZ1, Aug 3, 2007.

1. JAZ1

JAZ1 Rookie

Aug 3, 2007

Hello all! I was thinking of using Homeworkopoly this year with my class but the only problem is the 6th graders switch for Science and Social Studies (i teach everything but Science and the other 6th grade teacher teaches everything but Social Studies, so the kids switch for those classes) Should i incorportate Homeworkopoly for both 6th grades or just for my 6th grade class? I am just curious on what everyones opinion is.... thanks a bunch!!!!

3. mommee03

mommee03 Companion

Aug 4, 2007

What is Homeworkopoly?

4. JAZ1

JAZ1 Rookie

5. sloatteacher

sloatteacher New Member

Aug 6, 2007

I don't have any suggestions for your question, but have a question of my own: How do you handle 33 students' markers move around the board? Could Homeworkopoly work with playing on a weekly basis?

6. JAZ1

JAZ1 Rookie

Aug 6, 2007

it would work with playing it only on fridays and only if you completed your homework for the week...

7. mommee03

mommee03 Companion

Aug 7, 2007

Thanks for the website...that sounds fun...based off the name I would think it would be good to do it with any class turning in homework..
    If it works and the other class don't get to do then you may have to deal w/ complaining, jealous and all that.

Good luck!! I may try it next year...be sure to come back with an update...I have to much stuff going this year.

8. cdorey

cdorey Rookie

Aug 21, 2007

Thanks for the link Jaz 1!!! I am going to print that one out right now but I have already decided to ONLY do it on Friday's for the people that completed their work all week... I think it will be too much to keep track of if you try to do it everyday!

9. lajoers3

lajoers3 Comrade

Sep 1, 2007

I love it and I think that i'll have to do this if I manage to get a position. Actually, it may be something to bring up in my interview to show how i'd motivate students to do their homework. I reckon you could even adapt this game for their classwork - at the end of the week if they have completed all their work to the teachers satisfaction then they have a chance to roll the die and move around the board. You could call it Classroomopoly

10. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Sep 1, 2007

That's such a cool idea! Do you think 7th graders are too old to buy into the game?

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2007

How many groups of kiddos do you have? You could have each group be a different color and then use clothespin with their name in that color to move along the board. I think playing it just on Fridays would be enough. This would be a great idea to use to answer at an interview....they always seem to ask how you would motivate students!!

12. KLily21

KLily21 Companion

Sep 1, 2007

I like the clothespin idea

13. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2007

I started Homeworkopoly this year. I put them on a board and used wooden clothespins with their number on them. We play ever Friday if they turned all homework in and had their agendas signed. Personally, I would not have the other teacher's kids play. That's two classes you have to keep track of, two sets of rewards to keep track of, and so on. Too me, it seems like too much work for more than one class. It's hard enough doing this for 30 kids!

Now, regarding their homework for the other class: I'm assuming that you two are communicating anyways about if homework is being completed. If you do this once a week, it should not be a problem getting the information and play the game the next day.

14. JAZ1

JAZ1 Rookie

Sep 3, 2007

i decided not to use homeworkopoly this year with my class, since this is my first year. I definately will use it next year. :)