Homeworkopoly Question

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by uclalum, Aug 25, 2008.

1. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 25, 2008

For those of you who are not using a magnetic surface for your board, what do you use to mark where each student landed?

I'm thinking of using the super sticky post-it flags. Any other ideas?

3. snoangel

snoangel Rookie

Aug 25, 2008

I'm going to use clothespins with their names on them...hopefully it works

4. MrsFrench

MrsFrench Rookie

Aug 25, 2008

Mine is on a bulletin board. I take the kids picture, cut out their faces, and wrap with contact paper. I put a tack in it and move it around the outside of the board, so my board doesn't have a thousand holes in it. Hope this helps!

5. MissBee

MissBee Companion

Aug 25, 2008

Ooh, I love the clothespin idea! I think I am setting my homeworkopoly up on a magnetic white board, but I may still use that idea. I love it! (no damage to the gameboard)

6. frogger

frogger Devotee

Aug 25, 2008

Is there a thread on here that explains the homeworkoply? I still don't quite understand it!

7. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 25, 2008

I used clothepins and it worked great!

[​IMG]

8. MissBee

MissBee Companion

Aug 25, 2008

I printed info off this website: http://www.teachnet.com/homeworkopoly/index.html

However, I have never used it in my classroom before, so I would also be interested to hear how other teachers have used it. Maybe some clues as to what works and what doesn't? Any help would be much appreciated. :)

9. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Aug 26, 2008

They have colored plastic clothes pins at Dollar Tree. I used sticky scrapbooking numbers to number them according to the students' number. This way I can use them again year after year.

10. MissBee

MissBee Companion

Aug 26, 2008

How do you actually use the game board, though? I'm trying to get a better understanding of how it works in the classroom and how difficult it will be to manage on a daily/weekly basis.

11. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 26, 2008

I was afraid the weight of the clothespins would pull mine off my b. board. I laminated tiny pix and had the kids choose theirs. I put their number on each with a sharpie and use sticky tack on the back. Works like a charm.

12. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Aug 26, 2008

I do it on Friday. CAll up one table at a time during last recess (those that can't play go immediatly out, those that don't want to play go immediatly out-although, I've never had anyone. They roll, move, collect their prize if there is one and go out. Never takes more than 10 min.

13. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Aug 26, 2008

I love it!!!
    I appreciate the link. It all makes sense to me now. I had hoped that the fear of parental disapproval would be enough to encourage consistent homework (but I was wrong!). This is the golden ticket!

14. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 26, 2008

Thanks for all of the ideas. I think I will try the blue sticky tack and if that doesn't work I will use post-its.
    I can't wait to use it. I named all of the properties after streets in the city where I teach. I know the students will love landing on their street!:woot:
    Thanks everyone!

15. MissBee

MissBee Companion

Aug 27, 2008

I am also going to name the squares with street names from the town I work in! The kids are totally going to get a kick out of that!

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 27, 2008

What a cute idea!!!! If I ever move up grade levels again, I may have to use our street names too! :D

17. frogger

frogger Devotee

Aug 27, 2008

I think I am going to start getting this stuff together and implement in a little bit - after school is in session a bit and the kids are into their routine. I think it looks like a really good way to get kids engaged and turning in homework. :)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  18. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 27, 2008

I'm making all homework due on Friday. I'll grade over the weekend, and we'll play first thing Monday morning. If they have everything in, they get to play. I bought tiny clips from Target's kitchen gadget area and wrote numbers on them with a silver paint pen. If they land on Chance or Community Chest, they will get to pull a prize card out of my Spongbob basket. Here's a picture of the board:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/erikuppman/2801323263/in/set-72157606973604984/

19. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Aug 27, 2008

Jem--what do you have on your "prize cards"? And if they land on a just a regular space they just stay there correct? And do you include something if they pass go?

20. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 27, 2008

Do you think kinder would be too young for this??????

21. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 27, 2008

Prize cards: printed with Vista Print on business cards. Some give free homework passes, some give free 95 cent books from the bookorder, some give a free picnic lunch, some give a pick from the treasure box.

Regular space: they get nothing. That's a bummer, but part of the game. Otherwise I would just let them pick from the cards everytime without playing this game.

I had to ask my husband about the 'Go'. I hadn't thought of that. We settled on a 'fancy' pencil. Hahhaha-cheap and easy!

22. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2008

:)

23. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Aug 28, 2008

Ok, so the blue sticky tack didn't work so well. It worked when I put just a tiny bit, but then I had trouble peeling it off and moving it to a new space. I will try post-its tomorrow and see how that goes. Or maybe I can do something with velcro. Hmmm.

I will also post a picture tomorrow.:)

24. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Aug 28, 2008

What about wooden clothes pins? Those worked perfectly for me.

25. 2love2teach

2love2teach Companion

Aug 28, 2008

Im going to use mini clothespins that I got from walmart in the crafts section. They also have these clothespins in Micheals.

26. LiveNLearn

LiveNLearn Comrade

Aug 28, 2008

I got 100 clothespins at Walmart for $3.

I can't wait to get started. My game board looks great!

27. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 30, 2008

You know, I've always wondered about Homeworkopoly, but never wanted to ever implement it in my classroom. It just always looked too hard to set up, explain and do! (not to mention that I don't know how to play Monopoly). So it always turned me off.
    But, I am a little interested in doing it this year.
    Can some patient soul explain to me how it works exactly. I teach 2nd so I would have to hear how it would work for 2nd graders. Are there other Homeworkopoly boards available?? How do I explain it to my students?

28. GD2BQN

GD2BQN Comrade

Sep 6, 2008

Big Mistake!!!

I let everyone play even if some didn't bring their homework for most of the week. I was reflecting on my week last night and realized my error. My first instinct was that on Monday those that didn't deserve it were going to move their clothespin back to Go and then I just thought that I'm going to leave it as it is, hopefully I've enticed them and they'll want to do their work each time. It was fun--I didn't let them roll a die but based it on privilege punches that they earned throughout the week. I think I would rather do the die roll because it's much more fun!! Maybe I could line them up and watch each other roll the die.

29. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Sep 6, 2008

I printed off on cardstock lots of cute clipart from Print Shop and things I found online. I laminated these and cut them in squares. I tried to cover lots of interests horses, sports, cartoon characters, princesses, etc. Students chose their game piece. I just attach to the bulletin board with a pushpin. It is working so far.

30. flowerpower31

flowerpower31 Comrade

Sep 6, 2008

I use clothespins. They work just fine. I like the idea of clip art and using pushpins, but I don't want my board to be full of holes. I laminated and am hoping to use it every year, so I wanna keep it nice. It's bad enough I have staples in the corners to hold it up on the board.

31. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Sep 7, 2008

We don't put the push pins in the Homeworkopoly board. My bb is made of cork board. We put the pins beside the board. I punched holes in the clipart so that I don't have to stick the push pin through the clipart.

32. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2008

Jem, I like your room. Where do you get your cute stuff? Where did you get your "Wanted" poster and paper. Really cute ideas here, thanks.

33. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 7, 2008

I made most of it. I made the Wanted posters. I got the paper from Stumps prom catalog (it's a 'wood' or 'fence' background).

Thanks for the kudos!

34. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Sep 7, 2008

I didn't really have anywhere to clip them to. I glued the board to the wall. There isn't anyplace for me to put the clothesins.

The post its worked well though.

35. uclalum

uclalum Groupie

Sep 7, 2008

[​IMG]