Homework

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by mstnteacherlady, Nov 5, 2009.

1. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Nov 5, 2009

I am interested in hearing about how those of you who give homework at the beginning of the week with a due date of Friday layout your homework. Do you follow the same format each week? What do you include each week? Do you cover the same subjects weekly or base it solely on the skills in class? If anyone is willing to share, I'd also like to see any examples of things you do weekly for homework if you have a specific format you use. TIA. I'm really not here to debate whether or not homework is essential or not. I just need some ideas for the way things are to now be done in our school. :) Thanks!

3. bluebutterfly

bluebutterfly Rookie

Nov 8, 2009

I give out a sheet on Monday for the whole week. It is the same almost every week.

Monday
    -Read 15 minutes (Anything they want, Library is on Mon.)
    -Study Math Facts (Give them opitions - write them out, study flash cards, or on the computer.)
    - Finish any work not finished in class

Tuesday
    -Read the story that we are working on in class. (I list the name of the story and page number)
    -Study the Vocab. words that goes with the story

Wednesday
    -Read 15 minutes
    -Study Math Facts

Thursday
    -Read Take-home book (This is a little book that goes with our series that they can keep)
    - Study Spelling Words

Friday

The parents sign it every night. I check the parent's signature every morning - does not take very long. There is nothing else to turn in and nothing to grade.
    Everybody that has their homework signed and all papers turned in gets to play Homeworkoloply.

Hope this is useful information.

4. COMrs.S

COMrs.S Rookie

Nov 8, 2009

My third grade team sends out a weekly packet. We send it on Friday and it's due on Thursdays. We rearrange dates sometimes. Usually, we have a reading log for 75 min, two math pages (focused on previously taught material so it's review), a reading skills page, and a spelling packet filled with activities to study their spelling words every night. We do the final spelling test on Thursday.

I really like this because we all take turns making the packets every week and if kids have a club meeting, sports or other event to go to, they can figure out another time to do their homework.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2009

I send out a hw pack on Monday which delineates each night's homework- I expect each night's homework to be done daily, I check each day that the previous night's hw was done, but I don't collect the pack until Friday.

6. cutelilram

cutelilram Rookie

Nov 9, 2009

The homework I give out is due the following day with the exception of the weekly essay. Each Monday I give out a new writing prompt and the students have the week to write, revise, and edit their writing. The finished essay is due on Friday morning.

7. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Nov 9, 2009

I give out packets on Mondays and they are due on Fridays. Included are review of phonics/language arts, spelling, cursive writing, and math. They also have a reading assignment that has to be done every night.

8. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Nov 10, 2009

I like this. Do you give a prompt?