Homework

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by corney, Sep 3, 2009.

1. corney

corney Companion

Sep 3, 2009

I know all teachers have different homework requirements so I"m looking for a majority rule. My daughters teachers require it to be completed and turned in the next day. It does count as 10% of their grade. For those of you who have the similar rules please answer these questions. I will be getting with the teachers, but I thought I would ask a colletive group till I can get with the teachers.
    1. How much time should be spent on each home work assignment?
    2. Should it be turned in with all answers correct?
    3. Should sentenses include correct punctuation, capitalization and spelling other then the spelling being used?

I'm pulling my hair out with homework, not the amount of it but the end result of it. It's hit or miss if the answers are correct. It's also taking her a LOOOOONG time to complete. I"m talking anywhere from 1-2 hours for three pages.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

3. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Sep 3, 2009

1. Our standard rule is 10 minutes per their grade, so 3rd graders would be about 30 minutes. I haven't given anything that would take a long time to complete (I would guess 10-15 minutes per page). I would want ask the teachers if the time your daughter is spending seems typical, or if it is taking her a lot longer than other students.

2. My students are supposed to have someone check their math papers (usually 10 questions) so they can fix them. My other homework is usually open-ended (read 15 minutes, practice math facts, etc.) so that isn't an issue.

3. It depends on the assignment. If they write sentences for spelling, I expect correct spelling on all words (they have a dictionary in their spelling book). If I tell them to write in complete sentences, I expect capital letters and periods; they are in third grade and that should be something they are used to always doing. Unless something was a final draft writing assignment, I don't grade for grammar, etc. Sometimes an assignment in another subject is also covering a writing standard; in that case I always let the children know that they need to check their writing (but that would be more for projects, etc., not daily homework).

4. corney

corney Companion

Sep 3, 2009

I set a timer for 15 minutes per page.. she finishes in the alotted time but the answers are usually wrong. I erase the wrong answers and tell her to redo it. If after the second time they are still wrong then I get involved with helping her. Let me tell you I'm a horrible teacher and my patience is nill. The evening always ends up in a fight, my BP is over the top, she's crying and we are both exhausted when it's over.. most nights she doesn't even get to the independent reading because it's past bed time... :(

5. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Sep 3, 2009

corney-why do you think she is getting the answers wrong? Does she not understand the material? Is she rushing? That's the root of the issue here. If the homework is review of the day's work, and she's not understanding it, then I would talk to the teacher and see what is going on in the classroom. Perhaps she needs some extra practice WITH the teacher, or needs to be pulled out in a small group. You're NOT the teacher, and you shouldn't have to be re-teaching the material to your daughter every night. If you just send the homework in with a 'didn't understand' written on the top, that's not going to do as much as a one-on-one conference would. Maybe a heart to heart with the teacher is in order?

6. prek176

prek176 Companion

Sep 3, 2009

This was always a hard question for me to answer when asked. If a parent helps a child with the paper and makes all the corrections with them, I get the paper and grade it as an A. The child knows the material right? Funny thing is the child might struggle on classwork, tests etc. but how could that be if they always get 100?! As a teacher I need to know if the child doesn't understand the work. A note from the parent is great. I also encourage parents to help their child if there is a question but they shouldn't provide answers. Quite honestly there isn't always a lot of class time to provide help for just one or two kids. I hate having to keep kids in but sometimes there really just isn't any other option which is why it is great if a parent can help out at home. With that being said not all kids will let parents help them. I know this from personal experience!

Some kids have meltdowns doing homework because they have held things together all day and just can't any longer. Sometimes they don't want to do the homework because they would rather be doing something else. I hear about these tantrums all the time. The child is capable in class and should be able to do review work at home. I would check with the teacher to see what she thinks. She should be able to give you insight into your child.

Personally I am not a big proponent of homework especially in the early years because it does often involve the parent and I feel that kids need time to play and be kids. They have a long educational career ahead of them and really should have time to enjoy childhood. But in our school it is policy so...

Enough ranting....good luck to you! I've been there!

7. corney

corney Companion

Sep 4, 2009

Can you be my daughters teacher?? Please.. :) There are three things going here; 1. she doesn't want to do the homework, 2. she rushes through the homework cause she doesn't want to do it, and 3. she's doing 1 and 2 because she doesn't completely understand the work.. or at least she gives the impression she doesn't understand the work.. and I agree I'm NOT the teacher and I shouldn't have to re-teach what she doesn't know.. Part of that is her not paying attention in class and part because the lessons these days don't allow for to much extra assistance. The teachers have to teach and move on, those that get it do great those that don't barley get by. I'm in the process of securing tutors and homework helpers at Daycare so the only thing we do when I get home is review, read, and study for tests. I had a talk with her teachers this week.. I was told they can tell she is going to struggle already and didn't offer any suggestions but for her to READ READ READ. I sent a note and an email to the teachers and have not gotten a response yet.. She also has an IEP, and does get intervention in math and reading, so I'm hoping that will help with the not underdstanding issues.. it's not going to address the homework issues.

8. corney

corney Companion

Sep 4, 2009

I do my best to not provide the answers, but I find myself offering alternate ideas on how to find the answer but then I think that confuses her that much more.. I want to help but my patience is nill and that makes it worse too.

As for the homework, it's given as a review for what they learned in class, it keeps their minds fresh. If she came right home after school we probably wouldn't have as big of an issue.. She goes to daycare for 3 hours before I pick her up, and then it's at least another hour before we actually sit down to do homework .. by this time school is furthest from her mind... and there in lies the issues.. her mind is no longer fresh and interested, its tired and ready to wind down from the day...

9. scgatorgirl

scgatorgirl Rookie

Sep 13, 2009

Our district guidelines say that hw should take around 30-45 for third graders (around 10 minutes per grade level is the rule, plus a few minutes). I count the hw if it is done completely and turned in on time. I do require it to be completed with complete sentences. I do not count it as a grade other than as a participation. For example, a person who does their homework almost all the time (like has only missed one or two assignments the whole 9 weeks) gets a 100 participation/hw quiz grade. I don't think hw should be graded because it is practice. The quizzes, projects, and tests are supposed to be the assessments.

10. 49erteacher

49erteacher Rookie

Sep 13, 2009

I am a 4th grade teacher, but here is my input:

I would be surprised if any of my students have 45 minutes homework very often. I have told parents in previous years that if it takes longer than that to just write me a note with the homework and it would be counted as complete.

When I check math homework, I look at accuracy for a few problems. I don't check every problem. I am trying to get a feeling for which kids are getting and which ones aren't. I can tell pretty easily whether they fake it, if I think they are faking it, I make them redo it. Early in the topic some of them may be really struggling. I don't expect 100% accuracy.

With writing homework, I expect the basic conventions. I will talk to them (or write a note) if I see need for improvement on writing homework. If it is really sloppily and carelessly done, I won't accept it.

11. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Sep 14, 2009

With the best of intentions failure, low self-esteem and dislike for school can be promoted by the way in which one tries to help. Consider: Never allow your child to complete whole assignment or part, then correct. To be meaningful and promote remembering (versus forgetting) work must be checked while the student is working on it not later when it's cold potatoes.

Instead, do one problem or better yet one step, stop and check. This is when to make correction not after completing a whole bunch of work then highlighting failure by making her do it over. Do a step, check - next step check and so on. When you are convinced she has the skill (or concept) have her do the next problem (only one) and check. When she can do three in a row (judgment) without error release her to finish assignment.

12. corney

corney Companion

Sep 14, 2009

thanks for these suggestions, I will give them a try. :)

13. IAMdoneSubbing

IAMdoneSubbing Companion

Sep 23, 2009

I perosnally think that the kids whould have homework to reinforce what's covered in class during the day so that they'd not forget easily. Also, it'd make them understand that homeowrk is important and would understand the importance of the homework as they get older.

14. prek176

prek176 Companion

Sep 23, 2009

Part of the problem is the kids rush through the homework, really don't pay attention to the details, directions, do the work on the school bus so you can't read it that well anyway. The purpose of the assignment gets lost due to lack of focus.

The kids don't want to do it so then the parents have to get involved which often causes tears and frustration with both parties. Some children are carted around in the car everyday as either they or siblings have sports activities or sometimes medical appts. Where we live it is 1/2 to sports fields, shopping and medical offices. Some kids split between 2 households.There are a lot of families that are eating fast food for dinner because they are on the run all the time. This all has to effect the quality of the assignments.

Some of the work is necessary. We read a chapter in Science in school, then you do the questions for homework, that sort of thing. I had a problem with all the spelling pages that the kids had to do which had strange/complicated directions. Often with math the kids couldn't remember how to do it once they got home and because it was "new" math the parents often couldn't help.

I have the advantage of being both a teacher and a parent so I can see both sides. I've been there with a struggling kid. I also have an academic student who at times has meltdowns because she is tired, doesn't remember what to do, etc. I honestly feel that kids need a break from schoolwork when they get home. There is plenty of time for young kids to develop responsibility and this can also be accomplished through household chores. And let's be honest....how many occupations require you to bring work home at night?

I think homework serves it's purpose in the upper grades but in the lower grades it usually becomes a parent's responsibility.

15. corney

corney Companion

Sep 24, 2009

it's funny.. there are so many teachers that don't give a lot of homework and so many that do. Sometimes I wonder if it isn't a time management issue in the class. Are they not getting through the lessons so homework is just an extension of class work? I believe in a little to keep their minds fresh on what they learned but too much does cause a lot of stress at home on both the parents and children and the children end up suffering for it the most.. It's a major source of discord for my daughter and I and because of it she HATES school.