Homework

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by teachingforgod4, Sep 28, 2008.

1. teachingforgod4

teachingforgod4 Rookie

Sep 28, 2008

How do you do homework? Do you have a homework folder or what? And if so, what does the homework folder consist of? How do you check homework? Thanks!

3. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Sep 28, 2008

I only send S.S. homework on weekends so that eliminates a lot of hassle for me during the week of missing or late homework. For LAnguage Arts, students work on assignments throughout the week and continue working at home during the week, thereby basically having to decide themselves what their weekly homework is. I don't have to collect it until Friday. Then we go over all of it in class and I collect it. These assignments are just to practice what we are learning in class. We do a lot of small group work during class for LA so these assignments keep them on task working independently during clas time. GThey work on spelling, grammar, and practice pages that all go with the current reading selection. During small group time, I work with them on all the skills they are practicing independently. I meet with all 4 groups daily. We get a lot more done this way than doing a lot of whole group in LA. Plus, our reading series requires 90% of the time be spent teaching and learning is small groups like this.

4. teachingforgod4

teachingforgod4 Rookie

Sep 28, 2008

Zoe, what about math homework? Thanks!

5. tchnzfun

tchnzfun Rookie

Sep 28, 2008

My students do a math worksheet to reinforce what we learned that day. They are differentiated by remedial, practice, and enrichment. I decide what sheet to give them based upon how well they got the concept that day.

They read 20 minutes every night with the goal of reading 200 pages this past month. This will increase monthly as the kids reach their goals.

The students also have nightly spelling homework.

I am planning to incorporate some reading strategy homework eventually, but right now we are working on various reading strategies in small group. My kids love homework and are often asking for more.
    They're crazies! :)

6. Goldie

Goldie Companion

Sep 28, 2008

Every night children read for 15 min. from the assigned book/story, practice high frequency words (part of 15 min. reading time), practice spelling words (five minutes), and do a math sheet from the math program we use. On Monday a packet goes home with a reading log, list of spelling
    words, one spelling activity, and a book report. The spelling and book report are due on Friday. Each child has a BEAR (bring everything always ready) folder. It has pockets on front and back and two inside pockets. The outside back pocket has the monthly calendar and reading log. The inside pockets...Return to school and keep at home. Each day I check folders. It takes about 20 min. I "star" calendars for completed homework and check the math sheet. At the end of the month, I keep the calendars for documentation.

7. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2008

I only teach S.S. and Lang Arts.

8. jwilliamson

jwilliamson Companion

Oct 10, 2008

My students read for 20 minutes every night and they play a math game a few times during the week that reinforces what we are learning.

9. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Oct 11, 2008

I do give homework almost every night except for weekends... I reward kids who do homework, but don't make kids who didn't do it stay in at recess, etc. I think at this level, if they aren't doing homework it means they most likely aren't getting the support at home they need. Why punish the child for the parents lack of responsibility?

10. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Oct 11, 2008

I give HW every night. It consists of Reading Log, Fluency, Math, Spelling, and once a week reading comprehension. If they turn it in everyday and by Friday they have made sure their parents have signed everything, those students can come to the class and have lunch with the teacher and I bring a dessert (cookies).

11. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Oct 11, 2008

vsimpkins - wow, I want to be in your class! HORRAY for cookies! :D

12. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Oct 11, 2008

I had 13 students out of 19 that brought their HW. They went ahead of the other students in the cafeteria line and received their lunch and walked back to the class with me. I just want to keep the reward simple and cheap.

13. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Oct 11, 2008

I use "Good Effort Cards" which I print and copy. The kids get a card for turning in homework on time... I also give them one if they are able to stay in the green zone all day - which means no "breaks" at all... when they collect 20 cards, they get to go into my Book Box and pick out a book to take home and keep... I get the books using my points from scholastic - so it's totally free! :D

14. tchnzfun

tchnzfun Rookie

Oct 24, 2008

I have an economic system in my classroom so my students receive one classroom dollar a day if they finish all their work.

15. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Oct 25, 2008

My students get a homework packet weekly. I sent it out on Mondays, but a parent spoke up at open house and preferred it on Fridays. So I changed it, and I'm liking this so far.

They still read four nights and fill out their reading log: title, author, minutes read, if their book was just right, too hard, or too easy, and how they liked the book :) :| :( Then they answer a question each day: What is your favorite part, what does the story remind you of, what is your story about, and what is a question you have about your book? Four nights they also have a spelling contract where they either write words with the same spelling pattern, do a practice test, write words in abc order, or write sentences with the words. I also include two math worksheets for them to complete whenever.

It's due on Friday, and in the morning I walk around and pick it up. I just flip through to see if they did it, usually, and mark it on a checklist. If they did not do it, they have to fill out a Homework slip explaining why, and I file it. Then, during centers I give them an extra homework packet and they complete it instead of having fun in centers!

I hope this makes sense. I'm awfully tired..