Homework

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by MissFroggy, Aug 26, 2008.

1. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 26, 2008

None of my students have ever had HW before.

I am thinking twice a week is plenty. One night a week will be math from the curriculum, and one night will be making words for home and school from the four blocks book.

How does this sound?

3. merigold78

merigold78 Cohort

Aug 28, 2008

hi,

i think the most important "homework" in first grade is reading every single night. i used to send home a reading log every monday - this was due back to me the following friday. each night the kids were expected to read for at least 15 min. the parent would then write the title of the book, their initials, & the date to verify this. i have the format saved on my computer if you would like it (just let me know :)).

other than that, i think math h.w. twice a week is fine. we used to always send sheets from our curriculum, but obviously it is quite easy to find stuff that reinforces concepts taught in class. i would just send the make-a-word stuff home as extras. the kids usually love doing that anyways!

Meri

4. hpatty55

hpatty55 Rookie

Aug 28, 2008

Too Much?

Ok this is making me feel awful......we use Saxon Math and Phonics at my school so they have a page of Math and a page of Phonics every night plus I send home a book to read everynight....sometimes I feel like its too much but I cant really do much about the Saxon and I want them reading every night. The kids dont complain too much about the homework, a couple parents have said the books are too hard. They are level 1 readers with around 20 pages but I said they can take turns reading-it doesnt have to be all independent and these are the parents that dont have time to sit with their child while they read. Does anyone else give this much homework?

5. Goldie

Goldie Companion

Aug 28, 2008

We use Saxon math and phonics. Phonics is done in the classroom and not sent for homework. After the lesson, we do side a together and side b on own. Math...the general math homework side is sent home Monday thru Thurs. The facts page...we do one side as morning brainwork and the other side during math time. Our homework is: read 20 min. and a math worksheet Mon. thru Thurs. Due on Friday is a book report (simple) and one spelling activity. We've been at school two weeks and so far this is working.

6. prinjess82

prinjess82 Rookie

Aug 30, 2008

I use Saxon Math and Phonics...and yep, my kids have a sheet of math AND phonics Mon-Thurs. Plus it is encouraged that they read with their child. I think kids this age should get into the routine, it only gets harder and longer as they move up the grades.:) The work seems "easy" enough that they can do it at home without much help. Also, when we start getting more involved in Spelling and reading they will have that homework as well.